PDA

View Full Version : competition rules?

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 03:50 AM
I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Can someone please tell me where I can read the rules, categories, etc. to enter prints in my local PPA competition? Or are the rules different for each state? I also need to find out the size restrictions, etc. Can someone help?

I did look on the PPA website, but I'm not sure what the local competition would be called - I don't want to read the wrong rules.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Hi Lori,

I don't think the rules are the same for each state. You can look at the rules for the state of Kentucky. This might be close for you. The link is:
http://www.kyppa.com/resources/2007%20KPPA%20Convention%20Print%20Rules%20&%20All%20Forms.pdf

Robin

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Hi Lori,

I don't think the rules are the same for each state. You can look at the rules for the state of Kentucky. This might be close for you. The link is:
http://www.kyppa.com/resources/2007%20KPPA%20Convention%20Print%20Rules%20&%20All%20Forms.pdf

Robin

Thanks Robin - you're not trying to trick me because I called you a cheater are you?

Auralee_Dallas
01-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Lori, you should move this to the print comp section. An-Ne is some kind of marketing competition. There is probably someone from Wyoming who can help you. Who is your ppa affiliate? I searched the web and found a Professional Photographers of Wyoming with some phone numbers and emails.
In general I think the rules will vary but to keep with PPA it's usually any size print up to 16x20 and must be mounted on 16x20 matboard. Until you become a master and then you can enter larger--20x24 I think it is.
Hey you guys from Wyoming--help Lori out here.

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Auralee, First of all, oops! I meant to post on the competition section - I clicked on the wrong one! Second, oops again - I'm actually on the board for my local PPA! I just got off a conference call board meeting with the board, but forgot to ask! I know I should know all this - but I've never entered before so....

And, I don't know how to move a thread to a different section - can you tell me how to move it?

Auralee_Dallas
01-12-2007, 04:20 AM
I don't know how to move it either--just repost it. When is the PP of Wyoming comp? Do you only have a state group or do you have "local affiliates" of the state group?

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 04:22 AM
No Mam, thought it would be a good start.

Robin

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I don't know how to move it either--just repost it. When is the PP of Wyoming comp? Do you only have a state group or do you have "local affiliates" of the state group?

Our convention and competition is February 28 (the Sun., Mon., and Tues. around that date - I don't have a calendar in front of me!).

I'm not sure what you mean about local affiliates of the state group...I'm pretty sure we only have the state group.

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 04:39 AM
No Mam, thought it would be a good start.

Robin

Robin, thanks for the link. You know I'm joking...right?

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Lori,

Of course I know you're joking. I love it.

Robin

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Lori,

Of course I know you're joking. I love it.

Robin

Whew! Believe it or not, some people get sick of me. I know, I know, it's almost impossible to believe! I love all you people who have a sense of humor!

Auralee_Dallas
01-12-2007, 05:07 AM
I think a lot of states have only one group. Here in California we have "local affiliates" of PPCalifornia. I think there about 15 or 20 locals. It's really great. We meet every month, have great speakers, workshops, studio tours, print competition, and a couple of social events. I can't tell you how they have helped me grow as a photographer and a business person. I'm lucky enough to live 50 miles from Sacramento and we have a large and fun group of people and we have our share of masters too. Los Angeles, San Diego, and The San Francisco Bay Area also have very good groups. Then there are a number of smaller ones--some very small.
All the state seems to offer is the annual print comp and convention and that's only once a year. I feel really fortunate to be near enough to one of the best locals.

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 05:11 AM
I wish we had something like that here. We just have the state meeting once a year - and we have a "shoot-out" in July every year. But there are only about 10 people that attend the shoot out each year. I would love to have monthly meetings.

Jack_Reznicki
01-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Lori, you should move this to the print comp section.

It's been moved.:)

D._Craig_Flory
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Lori;

I agree ... each state has their own rules. Our state goes by PPA Rules. We have rules relating to our awards though.

Our 2006 print rules for Pennsylvania:
http://www.orbitfiles.com/download/id1144459808

I rarely use that site so I hope it works ok. It's a bit too big a file to just embed in this page. Ok ... I just tried it and it worked. I hope it works ok for you Lori. If you read our's and other states you will get a feeling for what most requirements are like.

I will tell you, and others, you will need a good print case. In our state you must submit entries in a print case.

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Jack, thanks for moving me! Craig - okay, then where do I buy a print case. And....stupid question....why do I need a good one? Just curious - because the print case has nothing to do with the judging - you mean just so your prints don't get damaged or what?

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Craig, Thanks - that link worked. The rules in PA are very similar to in KY. I am going to call some people and see if I can find the WY ones, but I'm sure they are similar. Thanks for the information!

D._Craig_Flory
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Lori;

I own two print cases and they are older than some of the people on here ! I probably bought my 1st one around 1978. THAT is why you want to buy a good sturdy one ... so it lasts for many years.

As for where to buy one ... I know that Adorama sells them as does B&H Photo. I'm sure lots more do also. Buy one for 20" X 16"s in at least a 3" width. When you become a Master you can buy a bigger one.

Here is the path for them at Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Cases&cat2=Print%20Cases&cat3=Shipping&searchinfo=Print%20Cases&item_no=2

Since the 4" case is only $2.00 more, I'd go with that size. That way, if you have a local show or something you will have more room for transporting samples.

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Lori,
Wyoming usually follows the national print rules except for the print classifications ( ie female portrait, male portrait, children, illustrative, etc.) so we can give away awards for best of each class. I will post the info on the Wyoming web site www.wyomingppa.com when I recieve the updated info for the conference. If you have any questions or need any help at WPPA I will be happy to do what I can.

PP of Colorado is hosting Rocky Mountain States Affilated Print Competition February 11th – 12th, 2007 in Denver. You can get info at www.ppcolorado.com
Rick

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Rick - I meant to ask on the phone last night but forgot! I'll watch for it on our website!

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Lori,
I posted the WPPA print rules. You can find them at www.wyomingppa.com
news and review page.
Rick

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Lori;

Off on a tangent ... have you ever done any images at Frontier Days in Cheyenne ? My wife & I went in 1998 while visiting our son as he attended Wyoming Tech for Auto Body school. We didn't go into the Rodeo because of time constraints but did walk through all the booths. My wife collects Loneberger Baskets and was thinking about buying a basket in the barbed wire booth but didn't know how top get it on the plane. *S*

So, do you have any images from the booths, or the rodeo, or both ?

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, I get a press pass so I can get on the press deck or the pit ( and area it the middle of the arena). It is lots of fun to photograph. Will you be back here this summer? I will post an image I am thinking of entering shot from across the arena.
Rick

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, I get a press pass so I can get on the press deck or the pit ( and area it the middle of the arena). It is lots of fun to photograph. Will you be back here this summer? I will post an image I am thinking of entering shot from across the arena.
Rick

Hi Rick;

Our son graduated from Wyo Tech in December of 1998 and has been an assistant manager of a Ford Dealer Auto Body Department for about 3 years now. So we have no plans to come back but will not rule it out. (in warm weather *S*) I Couldn't believe it when our son Matt showed us gates at the ends of Laramie's main street. For those that don't know ... the gates are NOT for trains. When there are bad snows the cops put the gates down and you don't leave ! When Sue and I drove to Cheyenne, I saw why. It is desolate ... nothing for miles except for an occasional house way down a long driveway. I imagine those people have months and months of food, water, and fuel since I imagine they get snowed in a lot.

One other thing we found interesting ... right across from Wyoming tech was grazing fields. We saw a bunch of buffalo and atelopes grazing !

I'll watch for the rodeo image ... thanks.

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I am the photographer for Wyoming Department of Transportation so I get to go out in all kinds of weather and photograph the road closure gates. I took photos this January with trucks backed up for miles.
Rick