PDA

View Full Version : Scratch repair

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Hello All,

I just got several high gloss prints back from my lab for print competition. Among them was one with a few small scratches on the surface. The scratches were on a portion of the image that is black.

Is there anything that can be done to hide these scratches on the image, or should I just explain to the lab about the scratches?

:rolleyes: Robin

Auralee_Dallas
01-12-2007, 02:54 AM
I would contact your lab immediately and they "should" replace the scratched print. Also, you should use gloves when handling them if you already don't do so.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks Auralee,

I just thought there might be a quicker way to get the print ready.

Robin

Auralee_Dallas
01-12-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Robin,
I think I read somewhere about that but I can't for the life of me remember where. I think it might have been about scratch repair on a print in general. When you get into the High Gloss finish I would think it would be very difficult.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi Auralee,

I think you're absolutely right. I should have shown them the scratches while I was there at the lab. This is something the lab should have noticed and corrected before I picked them up.

Robin

Holly_Howe
01-12-2007, 03:34 AM
Robin - Spray or laminate? If it's spray - one or two heavy coats and a long dry time should fix it. If it's laminate - I think they have to reprint. I could be wrong about that though.

Holly

Robin_Arkenberg
01-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually Holly, It was a Lustre spray. Do you think they can add to it to fill it in?

Robin

Linda_Gregory
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I think that depends on how deep the scratch is. It's possible though, they can strip the spray and start over instead of having to reprint...if the scratch hasn't gone into the emulsion.

Luster isn't usually used for convention, it's usually a three coat high gloss or laminate.

Kaye_Frey
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm jumping in here a little late. One trick we used to use back in the day
to salvage scratched prints was a black grease pencil. You can run it back
and forth lightly across the scratch, then buff it with a soft rag or cotton ball.
The wax actually fills the scratch. The only caution here would be that since
the print is sprayed or laminated, the color may absorb into the spray itself. The technique really works best on prints that haven't been sprayed. A white
grease pencil can be handy for high key also.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks Kaye,

After calling my lab about some additional prints being made, I ask them what time frame there would be to take the scratches out. Their answer was news to me. Since these prints were glossy, they are held off and printed after everything else has been finished. Also, being glossy, they said they had not been sprayed because doing so would make them appear like a matte spray. So, I'm off to the lab to have them reprinted.

Is there anyone with information on how and where laminates are used?

Robin