PDA

View Full Version : Marc's CPP book sale!

Marc_Benjamin
12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.kickstep.com/stuff/photography8thedition.jpg

So I'm kindda trying to clean up today and came across my copy of Photography, 8th edition. This is the primo review book for the CPP exam.

This is the only book that I read and some say that it must have been a Magical Book since they can't believe that I actually passed on the first take. I also passed my image review on the first try so I'm also considering selling the Magic DVD writer as well.

Anyways, the book is in prestine condition and that white stuff is just dust. There's also some hidden bonuses written on the margins along with highlighted gooddies within the paragraphs.

The MSRP is about $90 and used ones are around $65. When your done with the book, you could sell it as well since this edition actually has a high resale value. Hey we could even start the brotherhood or sisterhood of the traveling CPP review book.

Make me an offer! I'll take lab credits, album vouchers, free labor (if your in northern california). I'm also willing to take it to San Antonio and just give it to someone whom would buy me beers and drinks all week long. Of course you are also obligated to share some crazy photography stories while were having drinks.

Call me 707.529.9385

PS. I'm also willing to trade other books like Photoshop 6, Photoshop 7, Mac OS X (Jaguar) and windows 98 concepts and examples. I might just even pay you to take these little treasures off my hands.

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Marc, I'm hoping that isn't your "gallery" we see on the wall behind you - the one you show to customers. If it is, I bet you sells lots of 5x7 wall portraits!

Betsy_Finn
12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
hmmm who did I know that was interested in one.

Marc_Benjamin
12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Lori,

No, no live person ever sees my war room! I only share this with ourppa folks and some ladies on youtube.

Anyways, those are 4x6's of prints on display that I REALLY LOVED at whatever convention that I last went to. I look at them everyday and I try to answer why it's good. I challenge myself to do better.

Tell you what, I'll give you (or any members)the book if you could guess (one guess) any maker on my challenge wall.

BTW, no peeking on any of the official lists from last years competitions both on WPPI, PPA and your state/regionals. Just a straight guess, just for fun.

KirkDarling
12-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Marc, you should never rob a 7-11 wearing a kerchief over your mouth and nose. Anyone will still pick you out of a lineup just from your eyes and eyebrows.;)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a book JUST LIKE that one...well, maybe not the notes in the margin...and you say it helped you pass!!!!!! maybe there is hope... (lotsa film stuff in there, I don't know...)

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi Lori,

No, no live person ever sees my war room! I only share this with ourppa folks and some ladies on youtube.

Anyways, those are 4x6's of prints on display that I REALLY LOVED at whatever convention that I last went to. I look at them everyday and I try to answer why it's good. I challenge myself to do better.

Tell you what, I'll give you (or any members)the book if you could guess (one guess) any maker on my challenge wall.

BTW, no peeking on any of the official lists from last years competitions both on WPPI, PPA and your state/regionals. Just a straight guess, just for fun.

Larry Peters? That's a TOTAL guess, and I'm sure it's wrong, because I think you are more into weddings than seniors! I tried to zoom in on your image and see them to guess, but they are too pixelated! How about Monte Zucker? How many guesses do I get?

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Fuzzy Duenkel? Rick and Debbie F (whatever their last name is)? Vicki Taufer? Bambi Cantrel?

Joe Bussink? I know I butchered his name!!

Derek Alvarez? Stan Lawrence?

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Hanson Fong? Sheesh - I'm racking my brain here!!

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Kind of pathetic what I will do to try to win a free book isn't it?

Heidi_Theriault
12-29-2006, 09:47 PM
So, let's get to the real question, Marc... How hard was the test?

I took the sample test and scored a 90 even though I TOTALLY guessed at about 4 of the answers. Do I take the chance? Hmm..

Sorry, I already have this book. I began studying it and.. well.. got overwhelmed. I didn't know I could still learn something about depth of field... So how hard did you study?

Let me also say that I never went to school for photography and never worked for a professional photographer. This may be important in comparing how easy it will be for me compared to how easy it was for you.

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one who DOESN'T have this book??

KirkDarling
12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Am I the only one who DOESN'T have this book??

Well, I don't have it, but I was auditing the class where Isaac Newton first proposed that white light was made up of many colors....:rolleyes:

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
12-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Well, I don't have it, but I was auditing the class where Isaac Newton first proposed that white light was made up of many colors....:rolleyes:

***spits out drink***

ok...so there is a sample test???? where do you get that?

Heidi_Theriault
12-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Hmm.. I think you can get it on the PPA site.

Heidi_Theriault
12-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes! Here it is: http://certifiedphotographer.com/files/public/SampleItems.pdf

Heidi_Theriault
12-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Be careful. Some seem like trick questions. For example... #4 - image should really be view. Since a medium format image is always larger than a 35mm image.

Heidi_Theriault
12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, and what score passes you? 70?

Ariston_Collander
12-29-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't have the book either, but I have it on my "get it someday" list. I'm far from ready for the certification, but I can see how that would be a good to have in the good ole library.

Betsy_Finn
12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, and what score passes you? 70?

yup, 70 and above.

The test was reasonable, in my opinion. :D :rolleyes:

DianeDavis
12-30-2006, 06:57 AM
. . . . . . .

Karen_Linsley
12-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I took the test in September, passed, first try..."but I was auditing the class where Isaac Newton first proposed that white light was made up of many colors...." :D Thanks Kirk for that one.

I also have the book, but I think I want to save it for posterity. I actually had an earlier edition that was falling apart, and gave it to my little brother.

The certification exam was stressful, but not difficult. You do have to read the questions carefully, as some of them are trick ones, but if you know your stuff you will be able to pass. My weakness is remembering all the details of technical stuff: I tend to run on intuition and experience and just sort of go, and the test forced me to remember the details, and the whys of the details. It made me a better photographer.

OH, and the reason I don't yet have CPP after my name? I took the test in September, passed it, then the annual end of year rush started...I am just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, enough so that I can tell it is not an oncoming train. Just yesterday I opened my file of potential CPP images and started working on them. I will post when ready so you guys can see.

Anyway, for those of you not yet certified, I highly recommend it. It will help you and it will help your business.

Marc_Benjamin
12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Marc, you should never rob a 7-11 wearing a kerchief over your mouth and nose. Anyone will still pick you out of a lineup just from your eyes and eyebrows.;)

Kirk,

Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if that's the reason why I havent gotten any offers yet.

Heidi,

The test wasnt that bad. Like you, I didnt go to school for photography nor have worked for anyone else. However, I do have a pretty solid mental err mentor group. I've read the book off and on/paperback style for about 3 months then really pretended to cram two day's prior the test. I failed the outdoor flash and film portion but I was almost perfect on everything else.

I think if you got a 90 on the practice then your be ok. A lot of the questions are pretty practical..... like there was this flare on the grass question and the "best" answer is take the picture at a later time lol Also, don't over think ratio calculations and lighting patterns.

Lori,

Great try, unfortunately you are disqualified for sending in multiple answers. Like test questions, read them carefully before answering. ;)

Since you mentioned Stan and Derek, I have not seen any of their work on competition but I hope to see their entries soon. Was that a challenge?:cool:

Dianne,

Yes, entertaining me during the flight to san antonio is definitly a top priority. Wine works... I'm partial to a good char or SB. Tell ya what, I'll make sure to have some BayPhoto gift certificates for you guys.

Dan_Leary
12-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Be careful. Some seem like trick questions. For example... #4 - image should really be view. Since a medium format image is always larger than a 35mm image.

Heidi,
This is kind of a trick question as you said, but I think you're on the right track wrong train. The image size is referring to how it is projected onto the film plane... a 300mm lens projects the image as the same size no matter what, but how much it captures is dependent on the size of the film format. It's the same concept as APS sized digital sensors and Full Frame digital sensors.

Dan_Leary
12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh, let me go on the record as saying that was just to make a point that some of the questions are worded oddly, so take your time and really think about each one. I spent way too much time on some of the easiest questions because I was looking for the catch...

Marc_Benjamin
12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have questions about anything that's for sale? I'm also taking request... Name it I might have it!

Dan_Leary
12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Marc,
I'm looking for Canon lenes...

Marc_Benjamin
01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Dan,

Sorry, no Cannon stuff here... Though would you be interested in a LIMITED EDITION NIKON COOLPIX 4300 YOYO?

http://www.kickstep.com/forums/nikonyoyo.jpg

It's brand new and was only opened for this photo. Maybe, I should bundle it with the book. I was gonna say that the yoyo helped me during the test but that would just be soooooo wrong!

Vance_Wagener
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Marc ...how much do you want for the book?