PDA

View Full Version : Need a Title (No JUDGES please)

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of some title suggestions for the following print. The print is of a Gas and Electric company along the Ohio river.

The link is http://www.RobinsPhotography.com/Critique/Gas and Electric Company.jpg

Thanks,
Robin

Will_Price
12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Facing north on the big "O"

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 06:38 PM
"Facing north on the big "O" "

I'll bite. What does it mean, Will?

Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
"Power on the river bank"

Will_Price
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
"Facing north on the big "O" "

I'll bite. What does it mean, Will?

Robin

Here in the Kanawha Valley we call the Ohio river the big O..and I asume you were facing north because the wind was blowing east. Am I correct? Very nice photograph by the way.

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Will - You are absolutely correct. I hadn't heard of the Ohio referred to as the big "O" before. I had to google the location to that were also correct on the direction of North.

Ariston - "Power on the river bank" is very good.

Thanks,
Robin

Dave_Cisco
12-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Here in the Kanawha Valley we call the Ohio river the big O..and I asume you were facing north because the wind was blowing east. Am I correct? Very nice photograph by the way.

If the title isn't obvious, the print will die.... unless it doesn't need a title.:)

....with all that smoke, the first thing I think of is polution.

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Will, before I forget it again, thanks for the compliment.

Dave - I do see the smoke, but I didn't associate it wih pollution. I will now.

Thanks.
Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-26-2006, 07:59 PM
The problem is whenever you are dealing with power generation you'll end up with smoke of some sort. Photoshopping it out will make it look unnatural since the viewer is pretty expecting something coming out of the stacks. The goal is not to play it up with the title. Since it's for a Gas/Electric company, the idea is to promote the business with the photo. Although it's a very artistic shot, if it's going to be used by the company for promotion I'd figure it should mention either the topic or the company name itself.

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Actually Ariston, I'm thinking of entering this into competition. I'm needing titles to also decide which category that it might fall into. Does it look like a commercial print? Or would it be better as illustrative?

Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-26-2006, 08:25 PM
That's actually a challenge. IMHO, it could pass as both and either one would be on either side of the fence. It could be commercial for the fact that it's generating power for the population. It could illustrative of the fact that pollution is a very real problem. I think the title will spin the viewer one way or the other so it depends on how you want the viewers to think of the image.

Robin_Arkenberg
12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I think the title will spin the viewer one way or the other so it depends on how you want the viewers to think of the image.

Ariston,

I agree whole heartedly. With that in mind, do commercial images have more straight forward titles?

Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-26-2006, 08:36 PM
With that I have absolutely no experience, I can say, though, that if you think about the concept of "commercial", you are representing a product or company. My guess would be that the titles would be less poetic and more to the point that would represent aspects of the product or business. Looking at an image of a Ford Mustang against the backdrop of an ocean setting, I wouldn't be thinking "Sunshine on a clear day" I would be thinking more along the lines of "Beach Muscle" or something like that. That ties the surroundings (the beach) with the car (Mustang being a muscle car), but at the same time tie in the humorous aspects of "Muscle Beach", people working out on the beach.

I'm sure with your image there's a creative title, that portrays the commercial aspect of generating power that would downplay the smoke out of the stacks. If the title pushes the one topic, the viewer would subconciously accept the smoke as part of the process. If the title pushes pollution, then you can bet that's exactly where the eye would go as would the mindset.

Don_Barnes
12-26-2006, 09:02 PM
How about, "A Confluence of Power"

Holly_Howe
12-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Facing north on the big "O"

While this title is descriptive - it makes the assumption that the panel of judges will all know what the big "O" refers to. I personally would hear that title and expect to see an image of Omaha NE - which is sometimes refered to as the big "O" or in their current ad campaign as just "O!". So you have to be very careful usine local nicknames or idioms because your judges are probably from all over the country. Robin - to answer your question - Yes commercial titles are generally more straight forward. Deciding which catergory to place the print, I would ask yourself what are you trying to achieve. If it is commercial - what is the purpose of the print - to show the huge size of the operation? to illustrate air pollution? to show the imapct of the local environment? etc etc If you are entering the print as illustrative then what is your story there? The geometric shapes of the building as opposed to the organic shape of the river? The numerous shades of gray? What is the print most successful at achieving? It may achieve several different things but where is it MOST successful? That will tell you which catergory to go with. And once you know what the main idea you are trying to show - then you know what the title needs to convey . In my experience it is much harder to merit a commercial print than an illustrative one. that may be completely untrue but in my limited experience it semms like the commercial catergory is much more demanding of technical perfection.

I agree that the smoke is the biggest draw to my eyes. As most of the power plant is in shadow, it lacks the visual importance of the smoke stacks and smoke. That's why I would not simply call it "Ohio Gas and Electric". I think I would name the print something like "Impacting the Environment" and enter it under the illustrative catergory.

Hope you get lots more opinions so you can pick and choose what feels right to you.

Holly

Mark_Levesque
12-26-2006, 09:49 PM
"Coal Power"

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Don's "A Confluence of Power" speaks to almost everything brought up in the thread...the word is perfect for the multi-dimensionality of the image and the topic...in either category.

Robin_Arkenberg
12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
What do you think of the title "Not Smoke Free"?

Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
"No Smoking Please" :)

Robin_Arkenberg
12-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Keep em coming Ariston.

Robin

Ariston_Collander
12-28-2006, 05:25 PM
"(Smoke) Stacking the odds against the environment"

Robin_Arkenberg
12-28-2006, 05:49 PM
"Puff of Pollution"

Mark_Levesque
12-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Three Stacks
Power's Price
Fossil Fueled

Peter_Quinn
12-28-2006, 07:35 PM
"Plumes"

Very simple, and it doesn't direct the judges towards or against any sort of environmental statement. Let the image speak for itself. If the title is needed to get your point across then perhaps the image isn't portraying what you are trying to say with your photo. Just my two cents worth...

Don_Mitchell
12-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Robin, I would refrain from entering this image in the commercial division on the national level. A true commercial panel is comprised of all commercial jurors. Their thought process tends to lean toward the technical side of an image. Unless this image is tack sharp,top to bottom, side to side, it will not score well. It's difficult to tell for sure due to resolution but it would appear to be soft at the top.
An illustrative panel is comprised of a mixture of commercial and portrait photographers and tends to lean toward the emotional impact of an image.
The emotion of a portait juror can often be swayed by an excellent title.

There is usually less than a second between the reading of a title and the presentation of an image. In that split second you must capture the judges imagination. Just like the fanfare played before the entrance of a dignitary or the overature played by the orchestra before the curtain rises on the play, your title will set the mood.

The overall tone or mood of your image is dark with the three puffs of smoke providing the point of contrast to attract the eye. My first tendency is to make the title dark.

A couple of safe (unimaginative titles) could be:
1. Columns of Power
2. Sirens of the Grid
3. Towers of Powers
4 Megawatt Sentries

With a little more imagination....
1. Born by the water, blowen by the wind
2. Smoke'm if you gote'm
3. #2 ... did you inhale?
4. Power Planting for the Future

And finally, I don't know if it's the hour of the evening, or the glass of wine, but I swear I can see three faces hidden in the smoke.
Maybe you want to make "faces in smoke" your title and draw the judges into that part of the image.

Best of luck,

Don Mitchell

Holly_Howe
12-29-2006, 01:43 AM
You know what Don said about that split second between hearing the title and seeing the image? Sometimes if the judges expect to see one thing from the title but actually see another ( as long as it's an "OHHHHHH I get it" not a "Whhaattt?????") it can help the print. With that idea in mind - my suggestion is "Stacked"

Holly

Robin_Arkenberg
12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys, for all the thoughts and suggestions. Don, I'm still looking for the faces. Can you give me the name on the label of wine? My St. Pauli Girl only gets me so far. Ha ha. I'll be going illustrative, most definately.

If there are others with more titles, I'm listening.

Thanks,
Robin

Robin_Arkenberg
12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Holly,

I like "Stacked". How would you tie in the river together with the plant and the stacks? I realize the stacks are the main subject, but...?

Robin

Holly_Howe
12-30-2006, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't worry about the river. It's secondary and not as important to the story of the image - if you are trying to direct the attention to the stacks and the smoke.

Holly

Liz_Vance
12-30-2006, 01:27 AM
How about "Where there's smoke, there's power" ?

Holly_Howe
12-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Still like "Stacked" but another option

"Fired Up"

Holly

Robin_Arkenberg
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Alright, I've got one more... Smokin

Robin

D._Craig_Flory
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I like a number of the suggestions. One sugestion I have is this: One word titles are great and, conversely, titles with more than five words don't normally help. When judging you hear the title right before you get to see it. Your mind gives you a mental image. Hopefully the image lives up to the title and the title makes sense. If judges are still trying to decide what the title means or how it relates to the image ... there goes the points for title. There are elements of the Dirty Dozen that carry more weight than the title but if you are fighting for a merit and a bad title got points taken off it's a bad thing. Personally, I always liked hearing titles that quickly told me what the image would be before we got to see the image. If I was disappointed I subtracted points.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Craig, As always, thanks. I've had titles in the past that have taken away from the print. I'm trying to keep them as simple and as meaningful as I'm able. I think for this print I'm going with "Smokin".

Robin