PDA

View Full Version : competition possibility

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Here is the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97843696@N00/313309627/in/photostream/

And here is how I've cropped it so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97843696@N00/313309624/

Should I recrop, leave as is, start over...?

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
So, the insert devil gets me again! could it be my computer?

original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97843696@N00/313309627/in/photostream/

edited;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97843696@N00/313309624/in/photostream/

Lori_Clapp
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Linda,
You know how much I know (haha)...and I am in no way qualified to judge - but my OPINION is that I like the original the best. It just seems to have more room - and it's brighter. I just like it better.

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Lori,

Yours is a valuable opinion to me! I agree, I like the original better but...competition has other ideas. I've tried cropping this thing to get the bird out of the center for three years and every time I do, I go back to the original with it centered. It breaks the rules but works for my eye yet....for competition....???

Lori_Clapp
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
How about you try the crop without the vignette and let me see it.

Don_Eisenhart
12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Linda,

Here's an idea, how about if we here from some one who actually knows what judges are looking for?

Not taking a shot at Lori, (but I think we all know that, since she admits she knows nothing about competition, either), just asking some Masters or judges or someone to pony up.

Which, I never figured out either, so I am not offer advice.

But I do love the image.

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2006, 10:42 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97843696@N00/313375516/

As you wish!

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Donnie,

I would hope someone else would chime in that has a more experienced opinion but it's neat for Lori to add her ideas...and definitely helps her learn to 'see'. Heh, maybe at my expense, but then, s' okay with me.

Holly_Howe
12-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Linda - I have judged - but I am NOT an affilate juror. Here's what I think. It's too hard to make an educated guess from the small low res files we see here. A couple of times Keith and I have been way off on what we thought a print would score based on looking at it on the forum. What we are guessing is when the print was actually produced, there were issues not apparent in alow res small size image on a computer monitor. With that in mind - I do like this print. I like the cropped vignetted version best. I would suggest if you are attending Imaging USA - you sign up for the judges critique and take an actual print of this image and any others you are considering to have a critique by a juror from this years judging.

Holly

Don_Eisenhart
12-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Donnie,

I would hope someone else would chime in that has a more experienced opinion but it's neat for Lori to add her ideas...and definitely helps her learn to 'see'. Heh, maybe at my expense, but then, s' okay with me.

Linda,

Yuppers, it's way cool that Lori offers her opinion.

She is a valued member of this forum, her time is valuable, and it's generous of her to respond to your thread.

As it is for Holly, and I am glad to see her experianced input, as well.

So, again, no ding at Lori, none at all, just would like to see those who have traveled this road offer some advice.

Linda_Gregory
12-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Ah, Holly. If only. I'm not going to make it to Imaging this year but I will take this one to my state level comp which is our springboard to HOA in the spring. It's where I got 'right on' advice last year.

Yup, critiquing is one of THE best ways to learn, both getting it and giving it. Hear that, Lori?

Mark_Levesque
12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I'd crop it a little less wide, and a little higher so as to put the egret closer to the rule of thirds point. And the vignette is ok, just a little heavy handed. I assume that the IQ is excellent on this at print size. It will need to be to score well. It's a lovely image.

Linda_Gregory
12-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Mark, what is IQ? I think I darkened it so much on the edges because of the branches catching the sunset light. Of course, you've seen the original and if that isn't bad, then I can lighten it up some.

Bit distracted, daughter just called, after landing her first 'big girl' job in KC, MO, she's found her apt. *sigh* movin' away at last.

Mark_Levesque
12-04-2006, 01:27 AM
IQ = image quality.

I've seen the original, but only in microscopic size. :)

Keith_A_Howe
12-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Linda - Holly mentioned the draw backs of judging on a monitor at low res and with out knowing print quality but here's MHO. I like the light direction and the texture of the wings. It may work in a bullseye composition but I think it will gain a bit by croping to the thirds. What I did will greatly depend on the orginal file quality but heres what I did. I increased the canvas size vert. Then I selected (rect marquee) the area above the natural branch vingetting surrounding the egret and Ctrl T to strech vertically. Then I croped to place into the thirds and flipped the file horz. This allows the eye to read in from the upper left following the natural branches leading line down to the bird. I burned the upper right and right side (midtones mainly and a little bit of highlights) to control the eye. I also burned down the highlights on the branches to increase the impact of the bird. The matting is from the background and the stroke is from the warm tone edge of the bird. I would keep the stroke very fine but on this low res file size it is 1 pixel and it is too large.
On your cropped version I think I am seeing a keyhole feeling to the vingette. be very careful of this happening. I think it is part the natural shape of the trees and your vingette that makes this jump at me.

I like the image, I'd love to see a high res file of it. Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I feel silly posting my version after Keith but ... here is my interpretation.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/313309627_72f17f18ecEnhanced.jpg

Linda_Gregory
01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
D. Craig,

TALK to me. How did you arrive at that?

I've had this image for years and know it's got potential but every time I go to crop it, I'm not happy with it. You didn't crop it, but left it centered. What is your thought process?