PDA

View Full Version : How do you make the DVD's?

Michael_Gan
09-29-2006, 05:27 AM
I've been helping Leslie (who recently passed the written exam) put her images to DVD. There is no criteria as to how the DVD should be made (other than formatting to NTSC.

Can we simply put the images together in a picures to exe. executable file on the DVD? will that suffice, or do we need some sort of DVD specific production program. If so, what's out there?

Michael

Christopher_Kerslake
09-29-2006, 05:51 AM
If you are on a Mac use Fotomagico (http://www.fotomagico.com)
I'm sure there are programs for PC that will do the same thing.

Zack_Davis
09-29-2006, 06:00 AM
A really simple way is a slideshow program.

Another way (if you already own it) is Nero has a slideshow creator built in. Just slap the photos in, in the order you want them to appear, set the display time, etc and click burn.

Adobe Premier is another way too. But it gets slightly more complicated then the first 2 options.

Marc_Benjamin
09-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey Michael,

Congrats to Leslie and when she passes well you guys know the ourppa.com CPP passing tradition right? lol

Anyway's, I sent mines in as a standalone DVD player playable DVD. I used proshow producer (or gold), no music, with about 3 seconds transition. I did put blank slides set to 1 sec in between each image.

Good luck on her review!

Betsy_Finn
09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Ulead DVD Burner

Roxio Media Creator (I prefer this one of the two).

Both of these programs also have slideshow creators. I do recall that the Roxio one has a "hi-def" option to select for DVD-video, whereas the Ulead one does not. Anyone know if that makes a difference?

I inferred from what little directions there were that it should be readable on a standabone DVD player also. In that case, just dropping an .exe file on a DVD won't work....

Wilson_Hitchings
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
It does a great job of compressing a large JPEG to the small TV format (720x480) with no artifacts. I also use it for photo montages. It doesn't contain any DVD authoring software, so you'll still have to use Nero or something like that.

John_Vanek
09-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I used Pro Show Gold, but first I used PhotoShop to add a number to each image in the lower righthand corner. This matched the list with the client names.

3 second exposure with fade tranistion. Easy, fast.

John

Betsy_Finn
10-14-2006, 03:49 AM
I bought ProShow Gold and used it for my second DVD -- you can defninitely tell the quality difference between it and the other programs I mentioned. If you're going to go the DVD route, ProShow Gold will be a great investment!!! :D (and save you some troubles too)

Marc_Benjamin
10-14-2006, 06:38 AM
If you like gold then producer will blow you away!

KirkDarling
10-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Okay, Marc and Betsy have both been successful with the DVDs, so we know what they did works.

Could you guys do us a great favor and give us a detailed track of how each of you put your packages together? Then we can make sure the knowlege gets archived and remains available in the future.

Betsy_Finn
10-14-2006, 03:31 PM
yeah I know. I downloaded trial of Producer.... :( but not in my budget anytime soon. Hehe.

Betsy_Finn
10-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Okay, Marc and Betsy have both been successful with the DVDs, so we know what they did works.

Could you guys do us a great favor and give us a detailed track of how each of you put your packages together? Then we can make sure the knowlege gets archived and remains available in the future.

I'd be more than happy to do so!

Basically the key thing is using a professional level program. The slideshow creators that come with your DVD/CD burning software (Ulead, Roxio, etc) probably won't give you as good of quality as using something like ProShow Gold (not a product plug here, but I tried both, and saw the difference).

So I dragged all 20 images into the Slideshow area on ProShow Gold, setting each slide at 3 secs with a 1 sec transition. My first slide was a black background with my PPA ID number. Now, you need to have the slides numbered, I did it in Proshow Gold (if you do it here, make sure it's in the "visible" portion for the TV screen - Arial size 7, white with black outline) -- In retrospect, this would be easier in Photoshop probably.

Make sure to use the same transition for all slides. You can "randomize" the order of your images, but I'd suggest planning the order for maximum emphasis on your best images :)

Under "Show Options" I selected a 4:3 (TV) aspect ratio. (This is where you can see what will be "lost" around the edges ;) if you'd like to double check.)

I clicked "DVD Disc" (also Create>Create DVD). I'm uploading an image to show all the options I selected under "output options". I'm doing it through OurPPA so I don't accidentally delete it later ;). But that kind of restricts the size. I'll post some enlargements shortly.

Menus - I selected No menus
Shows - I deselected "include intro show"
PC Autorun - I left all unchecked (e.g. not included)

Betsy_Finn
10-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Enlargement of left side of menu.

Betsy_Finn
10-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Enlargement of Right side of menu

David_A._Lottes
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey Betsy
I just heard you passed the image submission!!!! WAY TO GO :cool:

Betsy_Finn
10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Betsy
I just heard you passed the image submission!!!! WAY TO GO :cool:

Karen_Linsley
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Betsy, what size were your images before you imported them into producer? I'm thinking of doing mine at 8 by 10 at 300 dpi.

And the first blank slide, do you make that in photoshop?

Dave_Cisco
10-18-2006, 05:34 PM

...and your wallet... :D

Betsy_Finn
10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Betsy, what size were your images before you imported them into producer? I'm thinking of doing mine at 8 by 10 at 300 dpi.

And the first blank slide, do you make that in photoshop?
yup, 8x10 at 300 dpi (except for the few panoramas I had,...etc etc).

Don't bother -- you can make a slide with a black background and add a caption using proshow! :D

Mark_Levesque
10-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but why wouldn't you size them in photoshop to be the right size for the DVD format? Is there an advantage to allowing the third party software do the resizing?

Betsy_Finn
10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but why wouldn't you size them in photoshop to be the right size for the DVD format? Is there an advantage to allowing the third party software do the resizing?
Honestly, the reason I did it that way is because I was still debating about submitting 8x10 prints. One reason to use the original files is if you'd like the option of showing the slideshow on the computer.... etc, there are different formats depending on the type of TV (widescreen, standard 3:4 TV). I figure the software is developed to do this type of conversion and do it well -- why spend the extra time to customize my files for one format when ProShow can put it into multiple formats for me.

This was a problem with the consumer slideshow programs. Think Ulead and Roxio -- the image quality suffered when the program converted the files. But I did notice a definite quality improvement when using ProShow Gold to convert my files.

One huge reason to let ProShow convert/resize my files? It makes life easier ;) and I can change my mind without having to redo all the images in PS and then redo my slideshow in ProShow :P :D

Michael_Gan
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I broke down and got Pro Show. Still love my Pictures to EXE, but boy, what a pain to convert to dvd using either ulead or Roxio.

Got it done in no time with proshow and bottom line, Leslie got her certification certificate in the mail two days ago.

Betsy, and all, thanks for your responses!

Michael