PDA

View Full Version : Print Competition Critique DVD???

John_Knowles
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Just curious...has anyone gotten the print critique DVD that they ordered when submitting their prints?

John_Knowles
09-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I just got the DVD in the mail today. Kinda strange that I'd ask this question today out of the blue and have it show up the same day...freaky.

Only problem is that it's on a mini dvd-r disc. Won't fit into my imac or macbook. Guess I'll have to dust off a real dvd player.

Linda_Gregory
09-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Mine came today! Yea! Tells me tons. Really great instruction by Tim Walden. Thank you, Tim! Can't wait til next year.

Keith_A_Howe
09-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Only problem is that it's on a mini dvd-r disc. Won't fit into my imac or macbook. Guess I'll have to dust off a real dvd player.
John Just curious about the macs.... won't the mini dvd lay into your dvd tray in the center and play? All I have is pcs but I know that several of the people working the critique crew have macs and I would have thought someone would have pointed this out.
Keith

Betsy_Finn
09-27-2006, 04:29 AM
John Just curious about the macs.... won't the mini dvd lay into your dvd tray in the center and play? All I have is pcs but I know that several of the people working the critique crew have macs and I would have thought someone would have pointed this out.
Keith
a lot of macs just have slots for you to insert the disc (think of most CD players in cars these days). You definitely don't want to stick a mini-disc in those -- it's a pain to get out (ok I don't know about mini-discs from personal experience, but I did rescue a friend's mac when she inserted a CD with sticker art that unconveniently came off while inside the drive). :rolleyes:

John_Knowles
09-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Keith,

Betsy's correct. I belive only the Mac Pro and the Power Mac have DVD trays. All other (current) models have slot loading drives. I was able to watch the critique in the livingroom. Nothing like a brutal whipping in surround sound! ;)

Since this was my first time in competition, it was really nice to have this critique. Lots of very valuable information. It wasn't as difficult to watch as I thought it was going to be.

John K.

Buddy_Stewart
09-27-2006, 11:46 AM
John,
We hope that the critique was constructive and gave you the information that will be helpful in advancing your photography. There are a couple of benefits from ordering a critique that most people don't think about. Because of the time constraints of judging the critique images are judged on the first day when the jurors are freshest (not tired) and haven't seen hundreds of really great images yet. Then when the image gets to the critique the juror has the right to send the image back to a panel for further review if the juror feels the image has been overlooked. It is another chance that is not afforded to entries not receiving a critique. We have had in the last two years at least two images that I know about that did not merit sent back by the juror critiqueing and the images ended up hanging in the Loan collection. Many experienced competitors (Masters of Photography, ASP Fellows) who order the critiques every year for the critique and the extra chances at being looked at again.
Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-Chairman

Mark_Levesque
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing like a brutal whipping in surround sound!
I feel your pain. In my first print competition, one of my images got a 76, and if that isn't bad enough, one of the judges disliked it so strongly she called it back out for a sound thrashing. Ouch. Then at the next seminar I attended, she sat right across from me and we got along just fine. That's the good part about the way they do the judging. One critical judge doesn't kill you.

John_Knowles
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Very interesting information Buddy. I had planned on continuing to order the critique in the future anyway. What do I learn if I submit images then get no feeback on them. I guess the "second look" is a nice bonus.

I guess I'm hooked. I've been planning for the next competition since I shipped of this year's batch!

Thanks all!

John K.

Linda_Gregory
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I loved the critique, it's the best part of any competition and to miss it would have been useless.

I learned the limitations of the images I sent in and respect the thoughtful feedback given.

Above all, it's made me LEARN and that's my goal. Now to apply it.

Yeah, I also started looking around at what I was going to send in next year. Still am! Of course, that was on another thread...I'm sure my four loan prints for this coming year haven't been exposed yet! (grin)