PDA

View Full Version : I'm Certified!!!!......Now What?

David_A._Lottes
09-23-2006, 02:16 PM
When I became Certified The first thing I did was put a new headshot of myself along with a press release from PPA in my local paper. People literally stopped me on the street to congratulate me and families of seniors I had photographed the previous summer sent me cards saying how much they enjoyed telling other people that their photographer was one of only X number of photographers in the country to have this designation. I framed my certificate and hung it on the wall right at the entrance to the studio. I started using the Certified logo on my cards, letterhead and price lists. Anytime I ran an ad in the paper or yellow pages I included the logo. My web site has a link to the PPA web sites page explaining what Certification is and I use the Logo on my site. Almost every bride that has interviewed me to photograph her wedding has asked what it means. Anytime they see me or my name it says Certified and they remember it and ask about it. I humbly explain the program :D . When it came time to re-certify again I framed the certificate, hung it next to the original one, and put a new press release in the paper. This time I decided I should do something with the prints. So I got a tri-fold display panel that holds 12 8x10 prints. I choose my favorite 12 out of the 20 and the display now sits in a mall. I recently opened an account with Asukabooks and have yet to use their products. I'm thinking instead of a sample brides album (because I'd like to slow down on weddings) I will use my 20 cert-submission prints to create a coffee table book with text that explains Certification. I'll use my name and the logo (David A. Lottes Certified Professional Photographer) as the title on the front of the book. This will serve as a sample product and a tool to get the Certified conversation going. I hope this gives some Certified and soon to be Certified Photographers ideas for "What Now?" I'd love to hear how others are using their Certification for promotion or plan to when the time comes. Thanks - David

D._Craig_Flory
09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi David;

That was a terrrific post, about certification. Are you working, now, towards Craftsman or Master ? How many merits do you need for either one ? When I decided to go for Craftsman, I set a goal of getting it in 3 years and I did. I told a bunch of friends and they got me a lot of speaking gigs with professional photography groups. I'm now working on Master. (still need to set a time goal) Go for it. (or, since the PPA convention is once again down in Texas ... "Get-R-Done".

When you are looking for teaching gigs, post it on here. List what your class would be on.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

David_A._Lottes
09-23-2006, 03:53 PM
5 merits away from the Masters and 7 speaking merits till Craftsman. If I live long enough I plan to do both. Then I'll start a thread titled "I'm a Master/Craftsman!!!!!......Now What? HA! Thanks for the encouragement Craig, How are you using the CPP in Promotions?

Wilson_Hitchings
09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
...and flash your qualifications to the ladies. You'll never be lonely again!

Betsy_Finn
09-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for making this thread, David!! It's given me a lot of ideas to plan out for when I get certified (wow, this is coming up quickly!)

That's a nifty idea about the "what is certification" book! I like it :D. Now do you mind if I expand on that idea when I become certified?? :cool:

Michael_Gan
09-23-2006, 07:40 PM
5 merits away from the Masters and 7 speaking merits till Craftsman. If I live long enough I plan to do both. Then I'll start a thread titled "I'm a Master/Craftsman!!!!!......Now What? HA! Thanks for the encouragement Craig, How are you using the CPP in Promotions?ASP Fellowship!

Michael

David_A._Lottes
10-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Michael and Craig
Thanks for replying to this thread. I just checked out both your web sites to see if your using the certified logo. Tsk Tsk shame on you! I'm glad to see that you both mention your certification in your about sections but......where's the LOGO! Michael, you've got a great section on your site about education. Very nice and a great idea. Hummmmm looks like a good place to put a little explanation of your certification! :D . Craig, time to update your PPA Logo, might as well throw in that Certified logo while your at it! ;)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/Dlottes/logo_pub.jpg

Just in case you forgot where to find it. :cool:

D._Craig_Flory
10-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi David;

I have the old color C.P.P. Logo, on my site, as well as the Craftsman Degree logo etc. on the About The Artist page. I assume you went to my new site (www.floryfoto.com) and not my old one. I do need to delete the old one soon I guess. I just happen to like the old color C.P.P. logo I got 20 years ago when I got certified and have continued to use it each time I got re-certified.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

David_A._Lottes
10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Good For You Craig!
I have to admit I just saw the old shape and assumed it was just the PPA Logo. OOOPS, Sorry for not paying closer attention. I like my old pin better than the new one. I still wear the one I got back in 98 instead of the Black square one. I wonder if there are any plans to update the pin?