PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

MichaelImus
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I would be very grateful for some opinions on this portrait.

I was thinking of entering this into a local print competition, but I have never used the painter before, and I am worried it isn't what the judges will be looking for. I really like the texture of the picture and how delicate it turned out, but I am not sure if that is what is popular right now.

I would love some professional opinions about this portrait, and what I could do to improve it. Please, be honest, it seems the only people we photographers can trust is each other.

Thank you!

Robin_Arkenberg
09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Hello Michael,

The composition to me is very nice. It may be the web rendition of your print, but the lighting seems have a bit too much contrast. The girl's arm appears chopped off at the shoulder and I would like to see some more detail on the rest of her arm and her face. I like the position of the bouquet, however, it appears to be floating in mid air.

Robin

MichaelImus
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Robin,

Thanks for the info. I will work on the changes. It helps to have someone else pull you "out" of the picture and look at it as it needs to be. :)

keithpix
09-06-2006, 12:48 AM
As a judge I would advise you to give more detail in the shadow area.

I also agree that the arm is lost in the unexposed, unlight area which takes my eye out of the center of interest which is the beautiful subject matter. :)

Keith_A_Howe
09-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Michael
I too am a judge. I like the emotion of the image but I agree with some of the other comments. I have a couple of concerns that I wanted to bring out. If you are reworking this image, you can soften the lighting but don't let it get muddy, I feel that I am seeing detail in her right arm so go gentle with the brush. You might soften the highlight shadow line on her right cheek alittle bit. You can let the shadow area in her left arm pit area and down the dress go a bit darker thus keeping attention from that area. This would be in keeping with the contrasty lighting of the rest of the image. My concern is the wind in the dress doesn't appear to be in the same direction as her hair. Also I have a bit of a feeling of a keyhole look to the vingette in the upper right corner, lighten this up a bit. This image is mixing keys a bit, hikey dress with a lowkey background. I feel it kinda works here but some judges will knock it down for this. So if you can lighten the background a little and especially the corner I believe it will do much better. Also I just tried it and I would suggest flipping the image so she is faceing into the image from the viewer right it is a stronger composition. IMO Keith

MichaelImus
09-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Keith and Keith,

Thanks for the help! You've got my excitement going again, which is why I do this crazy thing in the first place :)

D._Craig_Flory
09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Keith;

Wow is all I can say !!! To have another Master Craftsman C.P.P., posting here, who is an affiliated judge ... I'm amazed and humbled. Now the western part of Pa. is represented ... with me holding up the eastern part. LOL

For those who don't know him, Keith is from Pittsburgh and a past president of Professional Photographers of Pennsylvania. He will bring a lot of experience and expertise to add to all that were already here.

One word of caution ... don't ever put down the Pittsburgh Steelers around him ! LOL

Welcome Keith. (Keith #2 officially *S*)

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Dan_Leary
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM
One word of caution ... don't ever put down the Pittsburgh Steelers around him ! LOL

Welcome Keith. (Keith #2 officially *S*)

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

And he won't have to look far for help if things turn ugly! :D

I met Keith at our state convention along with his buddy Gerry Solan... these guys are great. Keith was our jury chairman. I'm actually thinking about taking Keith and Jerry's Super Monday class just cause they're so much fun to be around. But even if I don't, I'll still buy their ice cream.

Good to have you on here Keith!

David_M_Deutsch
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Hello Michael & everyone.

Sorry for coming in so late.

I agree with some of the comments made. I think whatever you feel is popular and you have a passion for... you should enter.

I'm viewing your image on a laptop so I have a pretty bright screen that, well, could be way outa whack in color, but your image looks fine to me. I see detail in the highlights and shadows. It gives me the feeling of a "edgy, today kind of portrait".

The burning on the edges is a bit too much... if you could graduate it a bit from dark to light and extend it to the subject, it would help. Also, you can get away with the "mixed key" issues of the portrrait if there's enough interest going on in the background... Maybe next time utilze some kind of background with texture or pattern to add support to the subject.

If you are using Painter, painting the fabric the bride is holding would give it motion and again add interest.

The main thing that bothers me, and really isn't "fixable" (unless you reshoot) is the brides arm coming straight into the camera. Doing so makes the arm look shorter than it is. If you could extend that arm so it creates a flowing line, it would certainly help.

I hope this helps. I think you have a lot of potential that just needs to be "tweeked".

disclaimer... the opinions in this post are strictly...OPINIONS and do not reflect the views of ... well, many normal people! :p
-dmd