PDA

View Full Version : Good Source for Increasing Understanding of Color Theory

Betsy_Finn
08-24-2006, 12:52 AM
I've got a reasonable knowledge of color theory, both additive and subtractive. But, when it comes to being asked questions about the topic, I'm not too good at giving or writing an answer. (e.g. I can do it in the darkroom, but I screw up the questions when they are asked outside of the dark room, specifically when they are asked as exam questions).

I'm wondering if anyone has some good ways for clarifying this information or good resources that will discuss CMYK color theory in more depth. (Most of the online color theory discussions I've found have been about RGB....). I've got Photography 8/e by Barbara London and have already perused that....and am looking for a different resource.

Howard_Kier
08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Betsy,

This topic really confused me. I did not have the time to find any other books to read on the subject before I took the exam. However, I can tell you that it was the topic I studied the most. I also reviewed my material just before the exam. As soon as the exam was handed to me, I wrote down the color wheel in the margins. It must have worked because I got all the questions right in that section.

Regards,
Howard

John_Vanek
08-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Betsy;

If you are studying for the CPP exam, I would suggest you focus on how color theory is explained in the London text. That is the most straight-forward explaination I have found.

And for the test, if you understand the color wheel, and what colors you get when you mix your primaries, and also how color theory is related to color balance (again explained best in London), you will be fine for the test.

Memorize the order of the color wheel for the 3 primary and 3 secondary colors. You can doodle notes during the test (like doing the math for light ratios) so just write down the color wheel and you will be good to go.

I just took the test in late June, so let me know if you have any other questions.

John

KirkDarling
08-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Don't worry about four-color printing theory and practice (the "K" for black ink used in process printing). Just concentrate on the Cyan/Magenta/Yellow color wheel (which includes RGB as secondary colors). If you get the wheel itself planted in your mind, that will pretty much do the trick. As has been suggested, draw it out on the scratch paper as soon as you get to those questions.

KirkDarling
08-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Betsy,

It must have worked because I got all the questions right in that section.

Regards,
Howard

How did you know? I just got an overall score with no information individual sections.

Marc_Benjamin
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I just took the test in late June, so let me know if you have any other questions. John

Great to see you here John!

And congrats on passing that test! Also, there's a unwritten rule here that newly passed CPP's buys drinks!

Betsy,

Don't strees the color theory as much. Just remember ROYGBIV and spend some time messing with the color balance sliders on photoshop. Ask yourself questions like...what happenes if I add a blue? What happens if I add red and so on...

Howard_Kier
08-25-2006, 02:12 AM
I just got an overall score with no information individual sections.

Kirk,

When I received my results, I received a breakdown of the correct questions and total number of questions per category. I can tell you that having never really shot film, I blew that section big time! I hope they update that part of the exam or a lot more folks will be having trouble getting certified.

Regards,
Howard

JohnHeckler
08-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Hmmm, when did you take your test? I took mine last March and the only information I received was my score and that I passed. It would have been very interesting to know what I got right versus wrong and I would still like to learn and understand the questions I missed.

KirkDarling
08-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Hmmm, when did you take your test? I took mine last March and the only information I received was my score and that I passed. It would have been very interesting to know what I got right versus wrong and I would still like to learn and understand the questions I missed.

I guess we need to ask David about that.

Howard_Kier
08-25-2006, 05:15 AM
I sat the exam at Image 2005. I was not aware that they changed the reporting method. The section grades was on a second sheet of paper. Maybe they forgot to include it in your packet, it just got lost or they could have printed it on the back of the letter. Who knows. I'm not sure if they can provide you that information at this late date.

KirkDarling
08-25-2006, 05:54 PM
I sat the exam at Image 2005. I was not aware that they changed the reporting method. The section grades was on a second sheet of paper. Maybe they forgot to include it in your packet, it just got lost or they could have printed it on the back of the letter. Who knows. I'm not sure if they can provide you that information at this late date.

Well, I spoke to David. Unfortunately the score break down is not possible any more with the way they are formulating the new tests. They may develop the capability in the future if they ever go to new software, but it's not possible with the current software.

John_Vanek
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Marc,

Thanks for the welcome. And yeah, I knew about the newby buying drinks; I was gonna buy you one last week at PPGBA, but you were too busy talking to someone else.........Did SHE buy you a drink?

When I got my CPP results there was a second page with the numbers for the questions I had missed. Of course, this doesn't do much good without knowing which Q is which.

There were a few questions where the answers were confusing, or so close that I thought (from a test writing point) they were poorly crafted.

Also, the answers to the light ratio questions can vary if you are shooting a portrait vs. a commercial image. (Commercial photographers calculate their ratios differently.) I actually discussed this point at length with Al Audleman who was teaching at GGS (where I took the test) and who used to be on the test writing committee.

And Marc, if you want to meet early next month I'll buy.

John

Marc_Benjamin
08-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Hey John,

I think I ended up buying her drinks since she took a rain check when I passed!

Funny, I remember my results and I flunked a section. I was almost perfect in everything else. Good thing B/W was not one of the double weight sections.

Hey John, fell free to come early and join us for dinner (I know we already have food at the meeting) so you could have a chance to hang out with the gang and the speaker.

OH, BTW to everyone else... if your ever in the San Francisco bay area during a third thursday, please feel free to drop by to attend a meeting. Meatballs, Chicken Wings and definitely beer's are on me as long as you wear your OurPPA.com shirt!

D._Craig_Flory
08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Marc;

So where do you meet ? Are they in the Mark Hopkins at The Top of the Mark ? Or are they in a Ghiradelli Square Restaurant ? Or do we ride the Hyde Street Line to Fisherman's Wharf ? How fancy is your group ? I do know that if I were ever to visit "The City" again, after being gone for 36 years, I'd plan on a bunch of days to re-visit Coit Tower, The Cannery, The Cable Car Wheelhouse, North Beach (including the famous Hungry Eye and Purple Onion) and more. I'd also like to see the completed BART line. They were building it when I was last there. You could stand on Market Street and look down at the guys working. As they got closer to the Bay, they kept finding stuff to keep. Down near the Embaracadero, it is all re-claimed ground where the 1906 earthquake rubble was pushed to make new ground. The workers found lots of old bottles and rare finds. I keep expecting the Transamerica Building to start leaning.

There are some great photographers out there and I will drop in if out there.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Holly_Howe
08-26-2006, 03:25 PM
OH, BTW to everyone else... if your ever in the San Francisco bay area during a third thursday, please feel free to drop by to attend a meeting. Meatballs, Chicken Wings and definitely beer's are on me as long as you wear your OurPPA.com shirt!

Hey! I'm gonna be in San Fransico the third Thursday of Nov. Course that's Thanksgving so I doubt you will have a meeting. We are going to visit our oldest son, whom we haven't seen since last Dec. Michael Gan & his lovely wife (I assume she is lovely, I've never meet her but Micheal seems like such a nice guy, I figure his wife will be great too) are going to do our annual family portrait while we are in the area.

Holly

Marc_Benjamin
08-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey Craig,

PPGBA meets at the Grosvenor near SFO international. Also, the bart line's a dream and you should ride it all over the place when you visit. BTW, I'm not able to find coit tower even if my life depended on it.

Anyway's, our meetings are not that fancy, weve just been very blessed with leadership that's able to work with and be accountable for our budget. Sometimes there's little things that we can afford that's not normally found in other meetings. BTW, our local can be considered as the 11th or 12th largest state association in terms of overall membership.

Hi Holly,

The november meeting is on the 16th. No speaker but album competition and review. We have members that had got loan albums and placed in the top 5 on internationals and they're gonna share those with us. We have Craig Kienast for September and Parker Pfister coming for October.

Leslie (Micheal's lovely wife) is great. I met her when I first started photography a couple of years ago. They're such a nice couple and I'm envious that you get to do a Meritage House portrait!

So yes please try to see us (then again why, your on vacation right lol) when you visit.

D._Craig_Flory
08-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Marc;

After 36 years, I'm not 100% sure but ... I think you can take the California Cable Car Line to Coit Tower. I'd love to create some images from the top.

D. Craig ....

Marc_Benjamin
08-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey Craig,

I've never even been on the cable cars nor alcatraz! Tell ya what, we'll do the SF photosafari when you guys come to town!