PDA

View Full Version : Print Competition Results

Gregory_Aide
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
The results of the 2006 International Print Competition have been posted. You can download a pdf of the List of Accepted Prints here:
http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=639.

Michael_Gan
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Congrats everybody! Lots of names I recognize on these boards!

Michael

Jane_Lydick_Staid
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I cannot seem to open the file. I didnt enter this year, but I wanted to see how everyone else did. Congrats to all who merited.

D._Craig_Flory
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Jane;

It opened right up for me Jane. I saved it on my hard drive. I scrolled through quickly and saw that one of our state members who won a whole bunch of trophies at our annual convention, won two merits including one on the image he won our state's most prestigious trophy with. Congratulations to Dave Savorino !

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Linda_Gregory
07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
I am beaming!

Two of mine garnered the merits they deserved from being sealed at our regional convention and one will be in the book! Now, how many books must I buy????

Also, two other photographers who's images I worked on/printed through the lab merited, plus one in the book!

I feel on air! (no, my arm doesn't hurt just yet from patting myself on the back but it's gonna by tonight, that's why I'm typing this now, while I can! <big, evil grin>)

JohnHeckler
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Sorry for being so stupid about all this, but what does "Loan" mean? I think my print when loan (has an 'L' after it) but am not sure what that means ... other than I think it is a good thing :-)

Michael_Gan
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Congrats Linda! You're well on your way to becoming a Master!

Way to Go John, The loan image means it was an exceptional image and will give you two merits, instead of one. It will be published in the Loan collection book and will be displayed in a seperate are from the general collection images in San Antonio. The loan images are the top 4-500 images out of the 1800 or so that are accepted for exhibition (out of some 6-7000 entries, that is great!)

Michael

Marc_Benjamin
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey guys, well I got very lucky (beginners luck?) on my first try and got a 4/4.
1 Loan, 2 Showcase Books and 1 General = Photog of the Year.

Anyway's, very happy here and I've always wanted a reason to buy a bottle of Dom and started drinking last night! Lol j/k

Congratulations to everybody else and we'll cya and your images in San Antonio...

Michael_Gan
07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Yep, saw that Marc, Congrats!

Michael

Marc_Benjamin
07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Michael,

Congrats to you and Leslie on the Fresco as well. BTW, I saw that you got 2 loans..... now how close are you to the Imaging Excellence Award?

Michael_Gan
07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Still got a ways to go. This gives me 7 loan prints (I think I need 12 or 13). Thanks for the congrats! Leslie is spending more time on what she did wrong, rather than what she did right.:)

Michael

Mark_Abraham
07-27-2006, 12:59 AM
I want to say thanks to all who helped me get ready. I am looking forward to see my video critique. I have learned a lot already!

Congrats again to everyone and thanks!
Mark

John_Derry
07-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm a Happy Camperâ„¢!

This was my first competition and I got 3 in, including one Loan!

Congratulations to All!

Viva la Painter!

John_Knowles
07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm in the Phoenix airport right now waiting for my flight home from the Make More Money conference and I just found out one of my entries was accepted to the loan collection. Hooray! This has been a great week!

Congratulations to everyone who entered.

John K.

Linda_Gregory
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm a Happy Camperâ„¢!

This was my first competition and I got 3 in, including one Loan!

Congratulations to All!

Viva la Painter!

Congrats to everyone!

I think it'd be GREAT if the images were viewable somewhere! We read the names of the images and I know there'll be a chance later but I wanna see NOW!

I wouldn't even mind for a little explanation as to where you started with an image and how you got to the magnificent end!

David_M_Deutsch
07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Congratulations to all those who entered! And to those who had prints accepted to the Loan Collection, all I can say is WAHOO!!

It doesn't matter how many years you've been entering print competition, you still wait on pins and needles until the results are posted :)

If you have never had the opportunity to watch a print judging, I would highly reccomend it. It is quite a learning experience.
It's very fair and soon you'll be right there with the judges (plus you make some great friends -- (BONUS).

Anyway, I'm going to post a few of my images. If I can't get them them all posted, check my blog (http://www.davidmdeutsch.blogspot.com) for more info... or just email me :).
DMD...out

David_M_Deutsch
07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Still got a ways to go. This gives me 7 loan prints (I think I need 12 or 13). ...Michael
it's 13... you're more than half way there !!!! :D
blog (http://www.davidmdeutsch.blogspot.com)

Michael_Gan
07-28-2006, 05:15 AM
Thank you David...and the lovely person attached to your chin:)

Welcome back to the boards!

Michael

David_M_Deutsch
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Thank you David...and the lovely person attached to your chin:)

Welcome back to the boards!

Michael

Thanks Michael. Some people are attached at the hip... I reserve that space to be hard wired to my computer :D .
Tammi is attached at my chin... She makes my portrait look good. LOL
Not too shabby for a self portrait, huh?

visit our blog (http://www.davidmdeutsch.blogspot.com)

Buddy_Stewart
07-28-2006, 08:39 PM
David says <Not too shabby for a self portrait, huh?>
Boy, I would stay as close to her as I could, she is really helpin' yore looks!
Keep Grinnin', Buddy Stewart

David_M_Deutsch
07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey... I'm starting to feel a bit like Rodney Dangerfield!!!

Michael_Gan
07-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I thought it was more like Henny Youngman "take my wife, please! :D

Mark_Abraham
08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Was curious given what seems like a high number of photos that merited, how many over all entries were there? I realize there is no bell curve or anything like that, so its truly curiousty on my part as to how big the compettition is.

Thanks in advance!

Linda_Gregory
08-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Mark,

I entered two, two merited BUT, their fates were 'sealed' at the regional convention by meriting there. I don't know how they would have rated had they not already been absolutes! Maybe my video will tell me. :)

JohnHeckler
08-04-2006, 03:39 AM
I have a bunch of questions if anyone is in the mood to enlighten a newbie:

Does PPA send you any type of official results from the 2006 International Print Competition directly?

Do they explain what happens to your prints when/if they go loan?

How long does it take before this year's Marathon books come out (General, Loan, etc)?

How does one order a book?

When can we expect our cases back?

Apologies if this has all been asked and answered before ...

Holly_Howe
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't remember if they still send the official notification in the mail or not. By that time it's been posted on the website so if a letter does come I guess I don't pay attention.

If your prints go Loan they will be kept by PPA for about a year. If they end up in the traveling loan collection they will be on display at various assoc. during the year. A year or two ago Keith had a couple loan prints that went to Korea. Eventually you do get the prints back, but even though they are always handled with care and respect - they still do get dinged up from the handeling. If you are thinking you want a nice print to display in your studio - print another one.

The Loan book ususally comes out in the late winter - so next Feb or Mar. If you had a Loan print Marathon will send you a proof of the page you are on, to verify your name and print title. You will also receive an order form. They also have someone available at Imaging USA to order the book and at almost any conference where they have a trade show booth. There are plenty of opportunities to order it.

I'm not sure when your case will come back. It depends on how quickly Jim Dingwell can sort all the unmerited prints into the cases and ship them back. The merited prints come back sometime after National and loan collection - like I said - after about a year. However - things do change every year. With Jim taking over this position this year, I am sure he will devise ways to streamline and make the whole process more efficent.

Holly

Linda_Gregory
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Bah with getting the prints back, I've seen those! <g> I just want the critique video! I, as a soon to be adult (more like, qualify for senior citizen discount) I'm working on having patience!

Buddy_Stewart
08-04-2006, 06:21 PM
John Asked-
Does PPA send you any type of official results from the 2006 International Print Competition directly? No, The results are posted on the web site and officially staff records your record of merited/loan prints on your merit record which may be viewed via the PPA web site.

Do they explain what happens to your prints when/if they go loan? PPA kept all loan prints up until about 6 years ago and PEC has reverted back to that policy. Loan prints will not be returned to the maker. With the requirements of displays and exhibits from across the country and overseas it is cost prohibitive to return the images. Anyone having a loan image in the last two years has had the honor of being exhibited internationally. I have seen the exhibit in Korea and it is awsome! Each panel individually lit and very impressive.

How long does it take before this year's Marathon books come out (General, Loan, etc)? Holly answered

How does one order a book? Holly answered

When can we expect our cases back? Cases for those entering who did not receive a merit will be returned fairly soon, most likely by the end of August. If a case contained a merited image the case will be held until after IUSA in January. One should receive those cases by the end of Feburary.

Buddy Stewart PEC vice-chairman

Holly_Howe
08-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks Buddy! I talked to Jim this morning and he said the critiques would most likely go out the end of August. It's a massive undertaking ( my words not his) and he has to do it all himself, plus like the rest of us he is also running his studio full time. So I know he is working very hard to get things to people as quickly as he can. I'm also guessing - he DID NOT say this or indicate this at all- I bet he waits till everything is sorted to ship any critiques or unmerited prints. I know if he had part ready to go and went ahead and sent those, the rest of the people would be on his phone asking "Where's mine? Why did so & so get theirs back and I didn't?"
Holly

Buddy_Stewart
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
the rest of the people would be on his phone asking "Where's mine? Why did so & so get theirs back and I didn't?"
Holly[/QUOTE]

You are soooo right, Holly!

Linda_Gregory
08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
That all makes sense, and with all there is to do, I honestly think the end of August is a decently fast time frame to expect it all back. No one should complain!

Of course, heh, it doesn't stop us from wishing it would just materialize!

Me? Impatient?

MWAHAHAHA!

Marc_Benjamin
08-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Loan prints will not be returned to the maker.
Hmmmmm, I wish someday PEC get's to keep all 4 prints of mines..... hahahahhahaaa...

JohnHeckler
08-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Wow guys, thanks for all the details. It sure is nice to have a bunch of seasoned vetrans around to explain all this protocol :-)

I do have another question ... the "PEC2006web.pdf" file that is posted on the PPA site is the list of "accpeted" prints, not really the "results".

In other words, there are no scores posted, just whether a given print is accepted (= to merit?) or not, and if it made the general, loan, etc collection.

So, if we want to know the "results" of any other prints we entered (as in the score or whether is was disqualified or not), we'll have to wait until our print cases come back?

At the Mid East Regional, the results posted also included the scores, so I kind of expected the same thing for International, but I guess it is different, eh?

Holly_Howe
08-04-2006, 08:58 PM
John, At national judging there is no score - just merited, loan or not merited. All judging is either yes or no, the machines are not even set up to accept scores. Don't quote me or take this as fact, but when I was sorting prints after the judging, I never saw a DQ'd stack. I could be wrong of course. I know that PEC has worked hard to make the rules as "user friendly' as possible and to avoid disqualifications because of issues that do not effect image quality. For example - the thickness rules have been eliminated. My understanding for the thickness rules in the first place was display issues - too thin, they bowed and fell off the racks - too thick they were too heavy and would pull down the hanger rods. Now you can enter any thickness and still possibly merit but if it can't be safely displayed it is not in the show. So this is an example of how the PEC is trying to accomodate the membership, yet keep your prints from damage. If I have any of this wrong, Buddy will certainly chime in for me and correct my mistakes. Thanks in advance Buddy!

Holly

JohnHeckler
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Holly ... your contributions to this forum are awesome! I always learn something from your posts :) Of course, I do have a lot to learn :rolleyes:

D._Craig_Flory
08-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi John;

If you want a score on prints, so you get a feel of how close you are, either join your state's photog. assn. OR enter another state's competition as an out of state entrant. Our state web site is www.ppaofpa.org. We accept out of state entrants. We give scores and hang images in the show which scored 70 or higher. Our annual competition is in April. (while on the site you can watch a slide show of the 2006 blue ribbon images)

Buddy_Stewart
08-04-2006, 10:55 PM
John,
Holly is correct in that At national judging there is no score - just merited, loan or not merited. At the national competition we don't give a score because we don't give awards. We are only concerned with the merit and we don't usually have audiences (a few people do attend and any member is welcome) so the education from challenges is not as important as it would at a regional. The real education from an audiences viewpoint IMHO is derived as the result of challenges and there is as much education to be gained from challenges above merit (to raise a score to a higher level) as there is below merit (to get an image into merit). But to spend that much time with the number of entries at national would bog the process down with not very much gained in the process. If we had audiences as the regions have we would have to rethink the process for the educational value.
As far as I know there was only one DQ at this year's competition.
All the critiques should be delivered by the end of the month.

Buddy Stewart PEC vice-chairman

JohnHeckler
08-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Once again, thanks everyone for all the details.

I've attended the Mid East Regionals the last 3 years and am a member of PPO, but never entered print comp until this year. I've watched the judging from the last two years as well, so I am somewhat familiar with that process.

I just didn't know how the International Print (is that the same as "Nationals"?) comp worked ... until now that is :-)

Jane_Ann_Long
08-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Hats off to all who merited! :) I was thinking about another thread that had ask the question "What inspires you?" ....... for me - seeing all those
beautiful images hanging takes me to new heights and I for one can't wait to view the exibit in January.....again - congrats to all!

Keith_A_Howe
08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
John, Sorry it took so long for some one to post - yes nationals is the international judging. This time of year I only get on once in a while I will check in to see if you have any other questions about judging at regional or at the international judging. There is a mentoring program at Imaging USA in San Antonio in January where you can sign up for one on one time with a judge and bring 8-10 8x10s to have them critiqued --- maybe help pick which ones to enter. Hope to meet you some day! Good Luck !!! Keith

Keith_A_Howe
08-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Jane Ann - I'm the same way. The more information (quality images and ideas) study and put into our brains, the more these help us to improve even when we are not thinking about it. I find that when I am busiest photographing, I will try something and not even know where the idea came from. I don't like to copy what someone else has done but I do let my mind work around and combine multiple ideas with my style of work to come up with something new or different to me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Look me up in Jan. I'll be in the print show or trade show area alot. Look forward to meeting you. Keith

Jane_Ann_Long
08-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll look for you! Art is my first love and it would be an honor to hook up with a Master! Was gona call you an "OLD MASTER" but hea!....you look way to young for that! :p

Holly_Howe
08-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Jane - Keith's avatar is misleading. remember he is a Master Artist which means he is real good at retouching!!! It's okay if you call him an old master - that just means I've got him broke in the way I want him! LOL!

Holly (Keith's boss in case you didn't know.)

Jane_Ann_Long
08-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Good woman Holly! I don't think I will ever get mine broke in but I do manage to keep him broke :D

JohnHeckler
08-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks Keith for the additional info on Internationals/Nationals.

I wish I could go to ImageUSA, but with my part-time status and limited budget, I can only afford one event and I make it the Mid East Regionals since I live in Cincinnati (Mason actually, but close enough).

Does anyone here make it to the PPO Mid East Regionals?

Do they ever have a mentoring program at the Mid East?

David_M_Deutsch
08-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi John.

I try to make it to Mid-East every couple of years. With the economy in Michigan the way it is, I'm not sure that we will make it next year... plus it's usually scheduled really close to our state convention (Michigan).

In terms of Mentoring, what exactly do you mean? They have great programs and early birds as well. I'm not sure about any one on one tutoring though.

David

JohnHeckler
08-12-2006, 05:53 PM
By "mentoring program", I meant like the one Keith mentioned is available at Imaging USA ... where you can bring 8-10 8x10's for some Master Photogs to review and critique for you (refering to his post on this thread).

So, I was just asking if that is available at Mid East ...

I imagine if I beg and plead, I could probably find a Master Photog that would be willing to spend a little bit of time with me at Mid East.

What I would really like is to find someone local that I could work with for awhile. I know Mark Garber is out of Springboro and plan to ask him at some point, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it since he doesn't know me from Adam.

I thought he might be good because he is close enough to me that I could work for him but far enough away from me that if I ever did decide to go full time, I really wouldn't be in a situation where I would be directly competing with him.

D._Craig_Flory
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi John;

In our PPAofPa group, we have an image critique after our annual print competition in April. Also, we have an 8x10 competition in October where we can test images for later 16X20 competition ... although that is just for images of, and about, our state. Plus, members will bring images to the meetings for Craftsman' and Master's degree holders to review. I would hope you belong to your state association and will consider getting images critiqued at state meetings.

JohnHeckler
08-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Hi Craig, sounds like PPAofPA does alot of cool things.

I do belong to PPO and did, for the first time this year, enter the PPO sponsored Mid East Regional Print Comp and plan to continue that going forward. I am a member of PPA as well and am also considering joining PPSO as well, but all these membership fees and print comps add up :-) especially when I am only a part-time photog.

I do believe strongly these organizations though and no doubt have learned a great deal in the 2 years I have been a member of PPO. I certainly will continue with that approach to learning and becoming more involved.

What I was also wondering is if it is possible that maybe a local photog would be willing to "show me the ropes" in exchange for cheap (read free) labor. I would be willing to do anything, take out the garbage, wash the car, carry equipment, hold reflectors, whatever in exchange for learning the trade.

I realize that there is really nothing in it for the establish photographer, especially if my long term goal is to create my own FULL TIME photography business and become a competitor, but I have heard it can work sometimes, especially if you are not exactly from the same area or serve the same market.

Anyway, I'd be interested in what the folks that have been around the business think the likelihood of that really is ... and if you are from the Cinci/Dayton area, if you would be willing to entertain such a relationship.

Keith_A_Howe
08-14-2006, 07:50 PM
John - I would recomend that you approch someone out of your trade area and be upfront with them about your plans of a studio. Pick someone that does the kind of work you want to do,,,, if it is weddings set up to go with them for a several weddings in a row (portraits = several sessions, maybe even for a week or two) and as you said... do what ever for them. Even to the point that any images you make at these events you co-own so you could build a portfolio and displays but the photographer would be able to include them in the images for the client and make the $'s from them.

Here in PPof Nebraska we are starting a mentoring program at our next event in OCT. where people pre-register to attend a 1 hour one on one time slot. At this event I am doing it on posing and lighting, Holly is on business and another gentleman is on photoshop. Holly and I suggested starting this because there are so many new members that don't know some of the basics. We felt that they would possibly get more out of a hands on one on one situation. Business wise it has to be one on one so that people will feel they can be open about thier situations and what would benifit them the most and in some cases, the fastest.

As far as taking images to your conference and asking for help that is easy, take 10 -15 images (too many images are hard to go through quickly and critique with out a private area), and ask any masters, judges and speakers if they would take a minute to look over your images and tell you what they think. In my opinion always ask them one on one where group opinion does not sway the answers. NEVER ask just one person and then stop asking - you might get the one jerk in the group! When you hear the same suggestion over and over - these are the "bits of gold" the rest of the comments have validity but are less important.

If you ever want to make a trip to Western Nebraska I'd be glad to help.
Good Luck
Keith

JohnHeckler
08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Keith, great advice, much appreciated. I tried to reply earlier and the site was dog slow ...