PDA

View Full Version : 3:1 Broad Lighting??

TamGray
05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I've passed the exam and currently building my image files to submit.

I'm nervous about the 3:1 though. Would this image pass?

MWatson
05-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Congratulations on passing the written exam. Now, it is time to pick your images for submission. Personally, I would say that if you are nervous about making a 3:1 light ratio portrait, you need to study a little more. The ability to create images at different light ratios is all about being a professional. The only aspect of producing a 3:1 that concerned me at the time was if the judges could tell to a 1/10 of a stop or not. I was extremely careful in my measurements and knew that my submission were exactly 3:1. You will be doing yourself an honor to not guess and to know if it is 3:1 or not. Do not rush your submission, be confident with your submission. Then once you upload your selection all you will have to do is wait for your gold tube.

TamGray
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Understood
For all the reasons you listed I've taken my time and am confident that the image I attached and was asking your opinion on is in fact a 3:1 Broad Light image.

Can you have a look and let me know what you think?

MWatson
05-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Yes, you do have board lighting. As far as a 3:1 light ratio, I wouldn't want to say yes for sure. I am viewing your image on a calibrated monitor and the shadows seem a little dark to me. This just might just be due to her skin coloration. If you have 1 unit of fill light on both sides of her face and twice the light or two units of light on her highlight side, you have a 3:1 ratio. The combination of 1 unit of fill and 2 units of main light equals 3 to the one unit of fill light on the shadow side. Does that help?