PDA

View Full Version : Future Imaging USA locations

Ed_Sharp
10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
In case anyone was wondering what cities will be hosting IUSA the next few years....

Imaging USA 2013, Atlanta
Imaging USA 2014, Phoenix
Imaging USA 2015, Nashville
Imaging USA 2016, Atlanta

Vance_Wagener
10-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Ya know...Omaha is in the middle of the country, just held the Olympic swim trials, the college world series, the zoo is the like the 3rd best in the country and Omaha has the best steaks in the country. Just saying. :)

KirkDarling
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Nashville was a really big hit for a whole lot of people, and fairly convenient for me to drive to.

Omaha is also fairly convenient for me to drive to (I drove there just last weekend), but it's cold in January.

Ron_Jackson
10-22-2012, 01:26 AM
I vote for the Bahamas or Hawaii.

Ed_Sharp
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
As inviting as Omaha in January sounds, I am liking Ron's Hawaii idea better. Lol.
Nashville was a great time and that was the first time I used Priceline to get a deal on a hotel, following Kirk's lead.

Dan_Murdoch
10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Is it ever in the northeast?

Christine_Walsh-Newton
10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Cleveland Ohio works for me :)

Rick_Massarini
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Is it ever in the northeast?

Not gonna happen in January - a sudden snowstorm can kill a convention - that's why it's usually in the south since the convention is in January - It was held up there when the convention was held in the middle of the summer (Atlantic City most recently) but since they moved the convention to January - conventions in the North East probably will not be very likely.

Ron_Jackson
10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Personally I would be much happier if it were moved permanently to Atlanta and tied to IPC every summer. Then we get the convention and IPC both!

Rick_Massarini
10-23-2012, 01:48 AM
It was in the summer for a lot of years - it's been much more successful in January than it was in the summer.
Having the judging followed by the convention might be difficult for the jurors to manage - imagine being away from your business for two weeks in a row. It's difficult for some to get caught up after being away for a week to judge, so imagine what it would be like for them to have to judge for a week then, after being totally wiped out from judging all day and critiquing until late in the evening, then have to attend a convention for several days and being expected to run mentoring booths and do print critiques in the exhibit area...

Ron_Jackson
10-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh I didn't mean two weeks. I meant all at the same time. I siad this as a "wish" not that it had any possibilities logistically.

Rick_Massarini
10-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Sorry, I was just figuring on doing the judging first so that the images could be there to put on exhibit for the convention. I misunderstood the concept.

Yeah, if they did the judging at the same time as the convention it might work. The judging usually takes 5 days total but the convention is only 4 days long - so the judges and workers would not be able to attend or speak at any convention programs - that might make convention program talent difficult to find since many of the best and most successful photographers in the country would be judging instead of speaking - so you might find the speaking programs left to the self proclaimed "rock stars"... and that might not be a good thing from an educational point of view...

Ron_Jackson
10-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Yeah. Here is my lame brain thinking out loud again. PPA headquarters is in Atlanta. There isn't a place on this earth that you can't get a flight to Atlanta and many of those are non-stop. So it's a relatively easy place to get to. Weather isn't any worse there than say Nashville in January. Plenty of hotels and convention spaces. Being permanently in the headquarters city would allow attendees the opportunity to visit the headquarters. Having the judging at the same time would give the attendees the opportunity to witness judging as well as the rest of the convention and do all of this in one single trip. I know that would pull judges out of the speaker pool but maybe the judges could rotate. In other words, those who volunteer to judge this year would not be "required" to judge next year if they got the opportunity to speak. Or, enough judges available to allow judges to spend one to two hours speaking as another judge fills in. Like I said, it's just a pipe dream. I certainly would never have a problem with the convention placed permanently in Atlanta even without IPC at the same time.

Jim_Lersch
11-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Ron.....Nashville works great for you and me! Maybe in 2015, I swing by, pick you up and we road-trip it!

delvallef
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Would IUSA ever be held in Dallas?

Rick_Massarini
11-13-2012, 06:28 AM
It has been held in Dallas - I think it was around 1983 or 1984...
It was held in Austin in 2006.

Gregory_Aide
11-15-2012, 10:10 PM
We've been to San Antonio twice in the last few years. That's one of my favorite convention cities (despite the ice storm a few years back).

dpalme
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I thought it was returning to San Antonio in '14.

Ed_Sharp
01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I thought it was returning to San Antonio in '14.

2014 is Phoenix

Tim_Babin
01-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Will the Nashville conventions be in the Gaylord again? I enjoyed the convention there.

I am not going this year but will be ready maybe for Phoenix. I also liked San Antonio both times.

Stewart_Schulze
01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Why did you bring up Atlantic City! lol

Cheri_MacCallum
01-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I love ppa being in Atlanta! My home state and I love to go when I can. But regarding the weather...Jan can be wonderful with 70s or a nightmare. The ATL area has some pretty nasty ice storms in Jan. and it's just a matter of time before it happens at convention. The last one was a really bad one! Still my fav place for iusa though!!