PDA

View Full Version : Bring equipment?

LeAnneSchmidt
10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but it's my first time attending Imaging, and I'm wondering if people bring equipment or if you tend to just bring a laptop for notes and record keeping. Thanks!

Roger_Williams
10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but it's my first time attending Imaging, and I'm wondering if people bring equipment or if you tend to just bring a laptop for notes and record keeping. Thanks!

Actually it is a very good question. You can not take pictures of the presentation slides or record any of the sessions so there is no reason to carry around a camera. A laptop is good for taking notes but paper and pencil weigh a lot less and to carry around a computer all day plus everything you will pick up in the expo will really get to you by the end of the day.

Good luck! There is nothing like being at your first Imaging :)

Joe_Galioto
10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
bring a point & shoot, a notebook or paper pad and comfortable shoes! oh and your credit cards

Sky_07
10-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for asking this question LeAnne! I was just wondering the same thing. I think I'll bring my iPad and leave my cameras at home. Except maybe the point and shoot as Joe said.

Rick_Massarini
10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
If you do bring a camera bag with equipment, just be aware that when you enter the trade show, you may be asked to remove every piece of equipment so they can put a security sticker on each one, and be prepared to have them check the bag when you leave. They do that so you can prove that it is yours. They have to be sure nothing gets stolen from the trade show booths. Most people just leave their "real" equipment home and bring a "point-and-hope".

Michael_Gard
10-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Many years ago (early 1990s) I attended conventions for photojournalists through NPPA (National Press Photographers Association) and organizations such as Nikon Professional Services & Canon Professional Services would clean your gear free of charge while you roamed the trade show floor. Do they still do this and do they do it at Imaging USA?

Samantha_Larkin
10-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Really?? No one brings real equipment....

Ed_Sharp
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't say that nobody brings their good gear to IUSA, but as always when traveling with expensive gear, it can be an albatross around your neck . If you are always worried about your gear getting stolen that can be a real distraction. That being said as photographers when we don't bring our real camera gear we inevitably end up having moments where we really wish we did have it with us. I did have a couple of days free in New Orleans last year and in those moments I kept kicking myself for not bringing my gear. I come from Newspaper photographer background and New Orleans is one of those places that begs to be photographed. By the time classes started and I was going back and fourth from my hotel to the convention center , going to the parties etc, I was REALLY glad I was traveling light and did not have the anxiety of worrying about a $5,000 camera sitting in my hotel room.

The advice to just bring a point and shoot and an old school pad of paper works out well for most people, but if you really have to bring your gear just make sure your insurance is up to date (replacement value)and/or be prepared to have your stuff with you all the time. We often hear how a camera is just a tool, and this situation can be a good test of your skills....to see how we'll we can do with just a point and shoot. Personally I see no reason to bring a laptop at all because a $3 notebook does just as we'll. I did bring my Ipad last year which was easy to carry and fit in my hotel safe when I was at the parties.

Ed_Sharp
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Many years ago (early 1990s) I attended conventions for photojournalists through NPPA (National Press Photographers Association) and organizations such as Nikon Professional Services & Canon Professional Services would clean your gear free of charge while you roamed the trade show floor. Do they still do this and do they do it at Imaging USA?

I think Canon may possibly still do this for CPS members, but Nikon does not.:(
I went to a couple of NPPA conventions in the 80s (i was just a kid) ;) and the huge scale of the trade show at IUSA will blow your mind by comparison.

Cassandra_Sullivan
10-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I bring my 'good' camera for taking photos outside of the actual convention - sightseeing, etc. But I did not bring a camera with me to classes or the trade show.

Rick_Massarini
10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't bring a "real" camera unless I plan on doing a pre or post convention trip, like I did at the Phoenix convention. I usually just bring a "point-and-hope", especially since you won't be as upset if TSA fries your P&H as you will if they fry your Mk3 (they fried my travel camera a couple years ago). I've hung merit prints that were initially captured with a P&H.
- it's not the camera, - it's what's behind the camera...

Samantha_Larkin
10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Cassandra...where do you "hide" it when at parties, etc?

Are the photographers that are there not trust worthy that you have to be scared of having personal equipment stolen? Mmmmm

I'd like to know how many instances there have been of stolen equipment at these conventions.

Ed_Sharp
10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
You have take into consideration the sheer size of the event. There are thousands of photographers there, not to mention various venue staff, people from other conventions going on at the same time in other parts of the venue etc. Statistically speaking, in a group that large there is a chance someone may be dishonest enough to find an unattended bag fair game. Most attending the event don't fall into that category, but it just takes one.

Rick_Massarini
10-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Are the photographers that are there not trust worthy that you have to be scared of having personal equipment stolen? Mmmmm

I'd like to know how many instances there have been of stolen equipment at these conventions.

I've never heard of anyone having equipment stolen at the convention, but you never can tell about people, especially these days. If you put down a typical camera bag with a good body a couple of good lenses and a flash unit, you could be talking about close to $10,000 in equipment - that's quite a temptation for someone - so I wouldn't chance it. The professionals there are generally pretty trustworthy. A few years ago, i had a photographer walk up to me and ask me if I had seen a certain person since they had found a bag and their name was in it and wanted to make sure it got back to them, I happened to know the person and called him on his cell phone and connected the two so he was able to return the bag to the owner - but not everyone is that honest...