PDA

View Full Version : Rick Massarini in New Orlean's storm

okumoto
09-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Hello Friends and Colleagues--
If you have noticed an absence of Rick Massarini, the hurricane passed through his town. Also to complicate the urgency, his daughter was to give birth in New Orleans on Thursday of the storm.
Rick decided to ride out the storm and assist with his daughter's safety and delivery.
My last communication with Rick ended with him being on the roof of his house, clearing branches away from the power lines in the thunder storm using an aluminum ladder to get on the roof at 3:30 am.

We hope all of our friends and members are safe getting through this disaster.
I know Rick and many others can't access much communication at this time.

Tss1203
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
prayers going out for Rick! Hope you're safe and sound!

Ed_Sharp
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope everything is alright Rick, but if anyone knows how to get through something like that it's you. Thanks for the update Dwight.

David_Schneider
09-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Hope all goes well for baby, mom, and grandfather and the family. Sounds like the adventure of the journey through life started with a true adventure.

Puts thing into proper perspective.

Rick_Massarini
09-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I made it - I guess you just can't kill bad grass. Dwight mentioned my 3AM tree cutting session - everytime the wind blew the tree limb downwards, the lights would flilcker - so I got up on the ladder and cut it - lotsa fun - on top of an 8' ladder in 40 mph wind. We had no power from early Wednesday morning until late last night - we finally got our power back on at our home last night around 7 PM. The power came back on at our studio late on Saturday night, so we camped out in the studio Saturday night - first night in a week where we had air conditioning - nothing like being in New Orleans with 90 degree weather and 100+% humidity for a few days.

The baby was delivered by C-section on Thursday at 12:21PM - 4lbs 11 oz. Everyone is doing fine and came home yesterday. What a way to start out life - born in the middle of a hurricane recovery! She'll have some stories to tell her grandchildren...

My communications computer and my refrigerator and freezer all got fried by the power company when they surged on the power restoration.

I'll be back in a little while - gotta run over to the FEMA station for some ice since my fridge and freezer are both dead - and it smells really great in the house from all the rotting food we had to pull from our with a fridge and freezer !!!

Stan_Lawrence
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Rick, glad to hear everyone is ok.... and congratulations on the grandbaby....:cool:

MWatson
09-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Rick, I am also glad to hear you are ok.

Cheri_MacCallum
09-03-2012, 11:02 PM
So glad to see you are OK Rick!!!!

Rick_Massarini
09-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks everybody !!
And, on a positive note - when I emptied out my dead fridge, I found a Heinekin, a couple of Coors and three Lite's stuck waaaay in the back - my son must have squirreled them away there - oh well, finders keepers - I don't usually drink, but after last week, I think I'm gonna stick them in some ice and have a drink !!!

KirkDarling
09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Glad you made it safely, Rick.

Rick_Massarini
09-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Next time, I'm gonna have a good generator - our generator ran for about 15 minutes and died.
And the biggest coincidence is that it was 7 years to the day since Hurricane Katrina...

Ed_Sharp
09-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Good to see you back online again Rick. Congrats on the new grandbaby, that reminds me of a line from the Rolling Stones "I was born in a crossfire hurricane". It's good to see that "it's allright now(In fact it's a gas)":D

Rick_Massarini
09-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Dwight suggested a good nickname for her - "Stormy" - I think I'm gonna use it...

Mark_Katz
09-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Rick, glad to hear you made it through the storm.

In years to come, you may forget about the beers and rotting food, especially as you look into your granddaughters eyes.

High temps, humidity and no AC... you'll never forget... Ugghh! :eek:

Rick_Massarini
09-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I still haven't seen her up close yet - only through the nursery window. They gave us the bums rush out of the hospital because they were in "lockdown mode". They were going to take the baby in an hour but we had to leave the hospital - for "security reasons" since they were in hurricane recovery mode. So we couldn't stay at the hospital and we couldn't visit - only the father - then she came home yesterday and we were in clean-up mode.

Linda_Gregory
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Rick, really good to hear from you! Also good to hear your house and business did not get flooded and the hurricane winds did not do as much damage as others have.

Hope recovery is FAST and your child - and hers - do well.

mbalthaser
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Glad to hear you are safe - so sorry about the damages caused by the surges, etc., but glad it's not worse..... and congrats on your grandchild!

Mark_Levesque
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Glad to hear you made it through ok, Rick. These kinds of events are made a lot more personal when you know someone living through them.

Missy50
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Good to see that you fared through the storm. Sorry about the food, etc. Congrats on the new granddaughter!

Joe_Galioto
09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
like they say - you can't keep a good man down.
glad you and your families are safe.
congrats to the new grandpa

lmkolb
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Scary stuff! I'm glad all is well. Congrats on the new baby! We all expect to see lots of pictures!

DianeDavis
09-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Congrats on the grandbaby!!

Vance_Wagener
09-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Glad you and your family are OK Rick. Are they going to name the baby Isaac?

Rick_Massarini
09-06-2012, 02:36 AM
The baby's name is Eva or Evie for a nickname - that's perfect for a photographer's grandchild - Evie - EV - Exposure Value - probably only the old guys will remember EV's. I figured that I could change the EV numbers as she got older - and since EV2 is brighter than EV1, she would effectively be getting brighter as she got older - probably a bad joke... But Dwight gave me a beter nickname than EV. He suggested I call her Stormy because of when she arrived - and I kinda like that one - so I may switch nicknames to his suggestion...

Stephanie_Millner
09-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the fridge but...
Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

Marie_M
09-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Glad you are ok, Rick. Congrats on the birth of your grandchild!