PDA

View Full Version : Images That Did Not Merit

brekke_felt
08-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I'll start it off by posting the two that didn't merit. The two that did, sealed at SWPPA. I have yet to actually earn a merit at IPC that didn't seal at SWPPA.

"Done Clowning Around"
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/brekke_felt/competition/5_Done_Clowning_Around.jpg
I wish I knew where this fell short. Gotta wait for the critiques.

"Before the Bell"
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/brekke_felt/competition/5_BEFORE_THE_BELL.jpg
This one I worry that it was strictly the quality of the print that kept it down. There is some beautiful backlighting from the red and blue lights behind him which show his curls, but in the print, they were just gone. I even made them reprint it, and though better, they were really lost in the print. It probably would have done better if I had entered digitally. I was soooo frustrated over how my print looked.

MWatson
08-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Here for critique and or comments are my images that did not merit.

Roger_Williams
08-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I'll start it off by posting the two that didn't merit. The two that did, sealed at SWPPA. I have yet to actually earn a merit at IPC that didn't seal at IPC.

Since I'm 0/8 between my portraits/album and my EI entries, I'm not qualified to comment but I really do like both of them. When you get the critiques, would you mind sharing the critques so we can learn from them while comparing the actual image?

I submitted everything digitally this year and I wonder if that is what hurt me. I worked the image on a calibrated monitor but the settings listed for IPC judging are not options with my Spyder/monitor so I just went with how Spyder calibrated the monitor. Maybe the dark areas don't show the detail on the IPC monitors or maybe the images just aren't any good.

Tink please come back
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-GrrCTnp/0/M/i-GrrCTnp-M.jpg

In the EI category I had this entry which I had a judge review at Imaging last year and he thought it would do pretty well.

Iron Horse Pass
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-593TZsS/0/M/i-593TZsS-M.jpg

What I considered my best EI entry is NWS (nude) so I'll just post a link.

Homeland Security
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-qCnF6Lh/0/M/i-qCnF6Lh-M.jpg

I have a slight incline in the treeline horizon but that is on purpose. Looking back, maybe it should have been perfectly horizontal.

If anyone has any comments, please share them with everyone.

Roger_Williams
08-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Mike, on the first one could it have been you cut off the fingers? The second maybe you over whitened her eyes. I'm only guessing to get the ball rolling.

Mark_Turner
08-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Here are 3...

"Green Eyed Lady" - I felt pretty strong about this one, having talked to 2 judges about entering it in SEPPA.
http://www.turnercart.com/Share/Green_Eyed_Ladylogo.jpg

"I Didn't See No Cupcake" - My grandson, so maybe I'm biased. I thought it was good though.
http://www.turnercart.com/Share/I_Didn%27t_See_No_Cupcakelogo.jpg

"Please Come Home, Daddy" - One we talked about entering at SEPPA, but didn't, thinking it would lose impact with similar entries. I saw no others like it, so I sent it in.
http://www.turnercart.com/Share/Please_Come_Home_Daddylogo.jpg

I talked with another person that said maybe she needs to shoot specifically for competition instead of pulling from client work. Maybe we do. I have never done that, but may just do it for next time.

Roger_Williams
08-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow Mark!

After we get 20 or 25 images posted here, it would be really good if we could get some actual judges to talk about them. I know Rick is judging in TN tomorrow but maybe next week he and a couple more could provide insight.

I'm really thinking that before I go any further I may want to take the judges class. I did something like that years ago when I was coaching competitive soccer. I became a licensed official so I knew exactly what they were looking for. Also, maybe PPA should be offering a session at Imaging on what makes a Loan print and what will keep it from meriting.

mbalthaser
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Some beautiful images here, everyone! I'm not in a position to say why they wouldn't have merited - just wanted to let you all know that they look great!

Mark_Turner
08-17-2012, 11:29 PM
I see some things that may hold some back. It may be Monday before I can get back with time to spend looking, but I will.

afinephoto
08-18-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm new to this IPC and was my first time entering...I submitted digitally nothing merited :( ... is there a place to see what I scored? or is it yes or no??? thanks!!

Mark_Turner
08-18-2012, 03:17 AM
THere are no scores. It is a pass/fail.

Stephanie_Millner
08-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Alana, it's thumbs-up/thumbs-down for a panel of judges. Scores are only issued at districts, but not nationals. If you ordered a critique, however, you should get some insight there.

afinephoto
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks so much!!

Michael_Gan
08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
The hard part about critiquing here is that it's hard to refer to an image without having to "reply" to repost the image which adds bloat to the thread. Also, when someone refers to the image as "the one above", it's actually "the one below" for me because I have the newest posts to show first. This is why I'm such a supporter of doing the critiques in the gallery section, and posting a link to that image here in the forum side. Pretty much how it's done for certification critiques.

brekke_felt
08-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I put my boxer boy image into a mock print competition our local affiliate held. The "judges" were all masters and well experienced in print comp. One is working right now to become a judge at IPC. The feedback I got was that his shirt was way too bright, I toned it down a TON before sending it to IPC, and the one who is working toward being a judge said she was unsure of the lights behind him, that she felt they didn't add anything. But everyone else stuck up for them because they gave the feel of being in a real ring, which was what I was going for when I set it up. My print itself printed so dark you could barely make out the highlights the blue and red lights gave to his hair and I worried and stressed that would be what held it back and it kind of makes me ill but I didn't have a choice as there was a deadline and I had to put my prints in. Even after a rush reprint, it wasn't anywhere as good as my digital and I wished I had submitted that digitally. I may reshoot it completely, put him in a different top and make sure my lights are really pulling their weight in the back.

For my clown, I have no idea. I want to hear feedback on both images and am anxiously awaiting my reviews.

brekke_felt
08-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Mike, I don't know about the other two, but I wonder if the cut off hand in the blonde boy cost you on that.

brekke_felt
08-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Since I'm 0/8 between my portraits/album and my EI entries, I'm not qualified to comment but I really do like both of them. When you get the critiques, would you mind sharing the critques so we can learn from them while comparing the actual image?

I submitted everything digitally this year and I wonder if that is what hurt me. I worked the image on a calibrated monitor but the settings listed for IPC judging are not options with my Spyder/monitor so I just went with how Spyder calibrated the monitor. Maybe the dark areas don't show the detail on the IPC monitors or maybe the images just aren't any good.

Roger, I've never entered EI so I don't know how they look at those at all.

For "Tink Come Back" Isn't she tink? I would almost wonder if the title didn't convey the story you wanted. I'm totally guessing at this. Since Tink is looking down the well, not Peter Pan, maybe that threw them off?

brekke_felt
08-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Here are 3...

I talked with another person that said maybe she needs to shoot specifically for competition instead of pulling from client work. Maybe we do. I have never done that, but may just do it for next time.

Mark, I do shoot a lot just for competition. I'll plan and set them up, but I know many photographers who will do the client session, make the client happy with what they want, then say "okay, now can I just try something?" and work in those competition elements that maybe the client didn't want, but the judges look for. I think you just have to do it both ways.

Your first image, It's a great image, but I don't know about the story. Not sure it pulls me in.

The cake one is cute, well lit, cute title, I don't know on that one.

The last one might be some photoshopping issues. From what I can see, the burning between the legs, it looks like there is a slight halo next the the girls legs, could be my screen, but it may be technical on that one.

I'm no judge and I am learning like the rest of you. I am trying to point out what I see and what I would look for in my own images, and hopefully being of some help, but who knows.