PDA

View Full Version : 4th Submission

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Well tomorrow is my 4th submission- not sure what I'm going to do- never heard from the judge for my critique, I tried e-mailing her but never got a response :-( I was told my images were "archived" and that just maybe I.T. could pull them. I really wish I knew what images didn't pass, compulsory or remaining portfolio? I guess I will just have to take a stab and change up what I think may have not passed. The process seems like it may need a little streamlining. The uploads are tricky (I had a double image upload last time-not sure if this was why I didn't pass or not). After my 2nd submission didn't passed I received the "gold tube" in the mail that they did pass but I already knew they hadn't. I am just feeling a little down right now but I'm not giving up. I don't have a lot of resources in my rural area so I have depended a lot on the internet for feedback/networking. I started out this journey on the "certify with Sandy" site but that too has fizzled out. I wonder if they every reached the 1000 goal, does anyone know?

Time for bed, been up pouring through my images again and honestly feel I've chosen the best of the best and if there not good enough.......well then there not good enough and I will continue to grow and improve my portfolio until they are good enough.

Good night and good luck to all the submitters tomorrow!

Robin

Amy_Hall
08-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Best of luck to you. It does sound like there are some problems with the submission process. I'm sure that only adds to the frustration. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Rick_Massarini
08-17-2012, 02:09 AM
After my 2nd submission didn't passed I received the "gold tube" in the mail that they did pass but I already knew they hadn't. I am just feeling a little down right now but I'm not giving up.

That's kinda confusing - If you received your "gold tube" with your CPP certificate - that means you passed... If you received your certificate why would you think that your images didn't pass???

Vance_Wagener
08-17-2012, 02:28 AM
After my 2nd submission didn't passed I received the "gold tube" in the mail that they did pass but I already knew they hadn't.

Robin

Did you receive a certificate?

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks Amy,

It was an error Vance & Rick. Yes, there was a certificate and pin and the whole nine yards. I had already received the letter prior to that saying I didn't pass so I called to verify and was told it was an error. Thanks for your replies.

Stephanie_Millner
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
So sorry to hear that, Nancy. If you want, you can email me your submissions to take a look at... I am pretty free today since it's August in Italy (so NOTHING is going on!)
stephaniemillner {at} gmail {dot} com

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks so much I appreciate that. I am in the process of uploading the new set for submission but if you could critique my last submission I would be very greatful.

www.tlcstudio.com/Compulsory

www.tlcstudio.com/CPP_9port

They are just folders and not galleries.

Thanks again,

Robin

Stephanie_Millner
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Ok, I think you may not have passed due to your compulsory images. Your low key and your high key... aren't. They're both mixed-key images which will automatically fail your entire submission. Also, the rule-of-thirds image... pull that. Judging by your other work, you have better images to use. Finally, make sure you have separation between your subject and background... many of these are BARELY separating, if at all. Brighten (aka, use) your kicker light.

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I changed my high key but I have been told twice that my low key is a good image- How are the keys mixed on my low key? I used the same rule of thirds- any suggestions why that one is not a good rule of thirds? I appreciate the feedback just need a little more details. I think I am able to change an image up until the cutoff today- correct or not correct? Thanks- Robin

Amy_Hall
08-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Can I just say that I adore image #9? That is seriously way too cute.

Stephanie gave you good feedback. I agree, especially regarding the high key image.

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you Amy- I changed the High Key and the Rule of Thirds- I think I have to stick with my guns on the Low Key. I appreciate your comments!! You gals rock!

Stephanie_Millner
08-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Nancy, that Low Key image is likely going to fail your whole portfolio. Remember, if your 6 compulsory images don't fly, they won't look at the other 14! The tie in that image is the first thing you see because it's your highest point of contrast. Do you have any solid black on black images?

yoopergal78
08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
that's my best low key and if I don't pass this time I'll definitely be changing it for my
Next submission. thanks again for your help

Angela_Lawson
08-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Nancy.

As a state Liaison for Michigan, my understanding is that if your compulsories don't pass, they don't even move on to look at the rest of your portfolio. I haven't looked at your images, but definitely take whatever advice Steff gives you. She is very knowledgeable and can give you very good feedback. So work on those compulsories first, then move on to the client images. And keep in mind that even if you have the technical portion of the compulsory correct, you still have to show that the rest of the image is done properly as well (ie. posing, lighting, keys, etc.). Hope that helps a little. Gotta run, but feel free to email me if you need more help. angela@aglphotography.net

Rick_Massarini
08-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree with Steff about your mixed keys - sticking to your guns is OK - but If you do, I'm afraid that you'll be working up your 5th submission next month...

In a high key image, the face should be the point of maximum contrast or the darkest point - the colored outfits are competing for attention with the face.
In the low key image, the horn is as bright as the face and sort of mixes the keys. My eye keeps gong back to the horn and not the face.
In the rule of thirds image, the image is placed on the rule of thirds line, but that is not just what rule of thirds is all about - it's not about placement, it's about composition. The baby is off center and there is a lot of dead space to the left - most people will not buy an image that is off-center composed for no reason. If this were a commercial advertising image and there was to be copy added to the left side, then it might make sense, but just placing your subject on the rule of thirds line as illustrated in this image does not demonstrate an understanding of what rule of thirds composition means. The rule of thirds composition is supposed to strengthen the image by placing elements of interest in the image at particular points within the image composition - like strategically placing a barn in a particular spot in a landscape image. The rule of thirds composition is supposed to strengthen an image, not weaken it. This image would look better cropped into a vertical with the baby centered.
Also - your broad lit image is off center composed for no apparent reason - I'd recrop it to where it makes sense - remember, these are all supposed to be examples of your regular work that is salable to clients that demonstrate these particular concepts. It can be set up to demonstrate the concept, but in the end, they be professional quality images that would be acceptable and salable to clients. If the image has obvious issues that a typical client would object to (such as being off centered for no apparent reason) the judges will score it accordingly...

I'll try to take a look at your other images a little later - after I get caught up a bit...

yoopergal78
08-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Thank you Rick and Angela, yes Angela I know the compulsory images have to pass first and I've been very focused on them. Rick your feedback is very much appreciated and needed! I get what your saying about rule of thirds and need to work on that for sure. these types of critiques are exactly what I need

yoopergal78
10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I just had to add one thing to this post- "sticking to my guns" in this case passed me!!! My low key was accepted- I think I demonstrated lighting, posing and low key well and the judges abviously agreed as did my 2 previous judge critques! However, I appreciated ALL feedback I received and valued each and every word! Just feels so good to move on from here :-) I have to start working on the whole merit process- I think that will be even tougher actually!

bwalker
10-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I just had to add one thing to this post- "sticking to my guns" in this case passed me!!! My low key was accepted- I think I demonstrated lighting, posing and low key well and the judges abviously agreed as did my 2 previous judge critques! However, I appreciated ALL feedback I received and valued each and every word! Just feels so good to move on from here :-) I have to start working on the whole merit process- I think that will be even tougher actually!

Congrats Robin!!

yoopergal78
10-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Thank you Billy.

ChristyLynn
10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Congratulations!!! I am so proud for you!! I'm submitting in February.

yoopergal78
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks Christy!