PDA

View Full Version : Imaging 2007

Michael_Larsen
07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi gang,

For those of you who have attended Imaging in the past, are there any lessons learned that you can share concerning where to say, any discounts available to PPA members, items to bring along, etc? I know that everyone wants to hear stories of what you learned, which I do as well, but where the rubber meets the road for me is in finding the cheapest way to attend. I just got hit with the fact that my son will need $11,000 by August for college and frankly, I can't afford to pay attention, much less come up with eleven grand. And so, if I have any chance at all of attending, I'm going to have to do it on the cheap. I may have to get me a hobo outfit, some old coveralls, a derby and a neckerchief to put some clothes in and hop a freight train illegally to TX but I'd sure like to go. I did notice the 2-for-1 buddy pass in July's Prof. Photographer Magazine and so I'll have to start polling my photo buddies.

Anyhow, does anyone care to share their wisdom here? I'm also open to receiving charitable contributions for my son's college bill in small, unmarked bills up to $11,000. :D

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Michael_Gan
07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi Mike, Try and stay at the main Hotel. For somewhere at $125 a night, the amenities are well worth it. Not only that, it helps PPA keep the cost down for future conventions: PPA always commits to a block of rooms for the main and auxilary hotels.

Something I learned as a furniture buyer. Do not get swayed on buying everything that is at the trade show! Even if you're tempted by all the special convention prices, you'll find that those specials are carried over for a week or so, plenty of time to get a reality check on what you really want to buy.

The learning experience will get you that $11K when you apply it to your business practice. Consider yourself lucky. All 3 of mine are in College now with a $33k per year price tag. Guess I'll need to go to 3 conventions to fill that need;)

Michael

Marc_Benjamin
07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi Michael L,

Kindda ironic and funny, but by the time imaging ‘07 comes around, your son will be eligible to attend the convention for free and if he volunteers, lodging is included. Well, as long as he's a member of studentphoto.com (PPA for college students).

Anyway’s, as MG stated, the cost of the convention is really well worth it. I have built in the cost of both Imaging and WPPI in my annual operating cost no matter what kind of year I'm having.

Now for my top 5 convention money saving tips..

1. I remember that when you first sign up for PPA, the welcome package comes with a free ticket. I don't think that one time free event ticket expires so you might want to call PPA about this. However, please don’t quote me since I might have just gotten mine’s during a membership drive or something.

2. Room sharing rocks! Cut that $125 per night in half… Like MG said, try to stay at the official hotel… this will actually be more beneficial for ya since most of the “networking” happens at the main hotel bar or lobby.

3. Save on food and drinks by attending the evening socials and vendor events… this will cut down on your dinner expense and drinks. Labs and album companies like to throw these parties all the time… Check with your favorite vendor to see what’s going on.

4. If you know that your gonna buy something, then try to get the floor samples. Vendors often will unload these for incredible deals. Also, try the PPofA charities auction. I got 40 page up to 14x14 flush mount credit from Art Leather (ok, let’s not go there) for about $70 last year.

5. Try to volunteer as staff yourself... that will really get you in and plus lodging. Of course you have to work some shift's but the learning is still there.

Oh, you could also win a seat on the council *wink*...... ok, I'm just being silly now...
Ok, that’s all that I have right now… take care and hope to see you in San Antonio.

Holly_Howe
07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
[color=black]Hi Oh, you could also win a seat on the council *wink*...... ok, I'm just being silly now...
Ok, that’s all that I have right now… take care and hope to see you in San Antonio.

Marc, Council members do not get in free. Keith still has to pay his own registration, hotel, travel, meals etc. Our state does provide him with a stipend that usually covers airfare and maybe $50 toward one nights hotel.

Micheal - having a son who just graduated from an out of state private university last December I can commiserate with you! Oh yeah, he also did a summer semester at Oxford university last year ($14,000 out of pocket for 6 weeks by the time we paid tuition, room & board, travel expenses, spending money, books, and covered the rent for his apartment in Florida cause the lease wasn't up yet UGH!) But the good news is they do eventually graduate and our son will make more money his first year out of college than we do. Remember this kid you are paying to educate will someday pay for you nursing home. LOL!

If you just can't swing the whole conference, I would suggest you might save money by getting a trade show only pass. Many suppliers will give you a trade show pass for free. You can learn a lot just by visiting with venders in their booths and attending the Theatre in the round tradeshow programs and also the mini programs a lot of suppliers have in their booths. You can study the print show and also scheduale a one on one hour long critique session with an affilate juror from this years judging, you bring sample prints and they give you advise. You still have all the networking with other photogs. And while it's great to stay at the convention hotel, if you have to stay someplace cheaper or not come at all, who says you can't go sit in the official hotel lobby or bar. When looking at cheaper hotels though, remember they are usually a lot farther away and you will need to figure the cost of getting back & forth to the site - rental car or taxi. Least my fellow photographers scold me for this advice - let me say the first choice is absolutely to register for the whole conference and stay in the official hotel BUT! if that would mean you have to stay home then trade show only and a cheaper hotel will still provide you with more education than you will be able to absorbe and put into use. Hope to se you in San Antonio.

Holly

Jack_Reznicki
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
2[/color][color=black]. Room sharing rocks! Cut that $125 per night in half… Like MG said, try to stay at the official hotel… this will actually be more beneficial for ya since most of the “networking” happens at the main hotel bar or lobby.

You can always start a thread here on the Forum to look for roommates if you don't have one.

Stan_Lawrence
07-08-2006, 03:02 PM
"I just got hit with the fact that my son will need $11,000"

One word, Michael. FAFSA

George_Hawkins
07-08-2006, 04:07 PM
You can always start a thread here on the Forum to look for roommates if you don't have one.

Also, PPA has the buddie 2 for 1 pass to register.

FYI: I broused Hilton hotels, the primary where other events are held, and right next to convention center. My sluething concludes that Hiltons at recent conventions were far larger than Hilton in San Antonio. Because last year was the largest attendance ever, I would guess this year would follow, and have even more attendance. If one even considers attending, book a room soon; mine is booked and it's 24-hour cancel policy with no obligation. I like walking a few blocks, getting fresh air, saving money, and find a hotel that includes breakfast: several others in the Hilton family.

George

Marc_Benjamin
07-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Marc, Council members do not get in free. Keith still has to pay his own registration, hotel, travel, meals etc. Our state does provide him with a stipend that usually covers airfare and maybe $50 toward one nights hotel. Holly

Hi Holly,

I was really being silly not remembering that our local and not ppa nor state covers our council members registration! lol

George_Hawkins
07-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Council member's or their proxi's, reimbursement of a portion of attendance expenses is VERY dependent on their state associations' budget. Some are zero, and some are a small portion.

I am not on council, but have been involved in budget process for NHPPA.

George

George_Hawkins
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
PS. Let's remember a councilor really is elected by all PPA members who's address is in a specific state, regardless of local membership.
Nominations are usually made by the state affiliate association.
George

Todd_Reichman
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi,

I'm hardly a veteran, but I've attended the last 2 Imaging USA conventions and had a great time. Here are my suggestions.

Stay at a hotel that offers free breakfast, so you can rush out and make those early morning sessions easily. The only approved hotel that I know of that is offering free breakfast is the Homewood Suites (www.homewoodsuitesriverwalk.com). I just booked with them, and the amenities are great (fridge, microwave/stove, free internet) for $129. They'll give you that rate for the days of the preconvention also (that was an issue in New Orleans two years ago).

Don't bring too much reading material in your carry-ons. You'll accumulate a ton of stuff from the trade show.

Plan all of your trade show purchases and bring enough empty bags to carry what you'll bring home.

Bring your comfortable shoes, you'll get crazy tired walking around the trade show and print exhibition all day - not to mention seeing the sites in San Antonio.

Von_Buzard
07-18-2006, 08:26 PM
just curious, I know that Imaging 2007 is still 6 months away, but any ideas as to when the schedule will be available?

Derek_Alvarez
07-18-2006, 08:43 PM
I think it in this month PPA Mag

Chad_Wandel
07-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I can't wait...It will be our first. Not to mention it just down the highway (4 hours)

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Von_Buzard
07-19-2006, 02:00 PM

COOL, Thanks

Carol_Andrews
07-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Get to TEXAS......San Antonio is magic, and the lights will still be up on the river.....the hospitality at this convention is like NONE other. Just ask us Texans, we're here to be sure and show our PPA guests an outstanding time, and fantastic learning event!
Here's a CRAZY idea, that WORKS by the way.....start asking your clients if any of them have freebie airline tickets or miles to do TRADE out with......Voila.....YOU can do this! Get creative, and you'll make it happen.
My daughter is 16, and I'm watching those college financials like a hawk, thanks for the advice!
Ya'll come on down now, ya hear? Carol

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2006, 01:33 AM
For those of you who might be interested there will be a print mentoring program again this year in the print show. You can register for one on one time with a PPA jurror, bring 10 -12 8x10 unmounted images for critique and get a jurrors opinion on which ones would be the best to enter or what enhancements may be needed. Watch for emails and printed publications from PPA to give the dates and registration information. This is at no cost if my memory is correct. Hope to see you there. Keith

Von_Buzard
07-31-2006, 06:25 PM

well, I finally got the July issue of PPM and no schedule, guess I'll wait till next issue

Amy_Salerno
08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I attended the conference in Austin and can't believe I waited so long to go to it. My first time was almost free (I managed to find someone to split the "Buddy Pass," I have family in Austin so there were no extra expenses, and I got airfare w/ FF miles). Now that it's in San Antonio (I don't want to start something here, but it's not my favorite place -- Austin is 100% better) and I'll have to spend $$, will I try to go? Definitely. The seminars are worth more than even full price admission (the Photoshop track was crazy). The expo is good, too, but for me the seminars were the main reason for attending. I found the floor exhausting after attending the two morning sessions. BTW everyone involved was amazing: the seminar instructors were stellar, the crew was super, and the attendees were beyond friendly.

If you are looking for a less expensive trip then try the PDN expo in NYC. Entrance to the floor is free usually and most of the top vendors are there. They also have seminars but they are pay as you go.

George_Hawkins
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
The other side of the coin: I know one who used to be in the air national guard at Pease, Portsmouth; he recently told me there's lots of things to see in San Antonio! Save money by watching for Southwest Air flights, from Manchester NH. Stay in a hotel a few blocks from conv ctr for less than $100.00; you may find one that includes breakfast. I stayed at Embassy Suites in Austin & breakfast included. ES is not near conv ctr, but one from the same family is a few blocks away. Also, save by having a roommate. I saw posts here looking for cabin mate on the Alaska cruise.

George

Zack_Davis
08-05-2006, 06:47 AM
They have an early version of the schedual up on the imaging 2007 website. It's not very detailed mostly it just has who's soponsoring it and the title... atleast last I checked.

photosforu
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
is anyone interested in a buddy pass before 11/1?
I live in Texas and will be driving and will be completing a Bridal show the week before so I'm trying to save where I can....

George_Hawkins
10-09-2006, 09:14 PM
YES. Before a definite, I need to communicate with one other with whom I discussed a pass. We have time. I have a hotel, but no plane ticket yet.

George