PDA

View Full Version : high key image for certification

ccavedova
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
This image was failed because of 'lighting'.

Tss1203
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
it would be much easier to reply to your images if they all were in one thread instead of several :)

there really isn't much lighting pattern in the image and the baby has a poor expression on his face. The angle is uncomfortable to view, and you can tell it was shot above the baby vertically and rotated. The soft focus is also very distracting.

Even for compulsory images you have to meet all the other technical elements, NOT just the element you are trying to portray. It's not about whether you can correctly nail ONE technical piece, it's about whether you can show a professional image thru all technical aspects while also clearly demonstrating the compulsory aspect you are showcasing.

ccavedova
07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
What is the other criteria for high key lighting? The criteria states " this image will demonstrate the proper technique in lighting a subject for a high key result".
The definition of high key lighting is "scene or picture consisting predominantly of pale, delicate tones and colours".

Tss1203
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
the criteria is all the same criteria it takes to create a technically sound professional image. You can't focus on JUST the compulsory component.

Just b/c the image is predominantly paler tones does not mean it was lit properly.

Posing, composition, lighting, retouching, etc all affect the image, not just your compulsory.

Rick_Massarini
07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
The whites are grey. The lighting is coming from the bottom of the frame which is hardly ever an attractive angle - it's always better for the light to be coming in from above. The baby's hand and the blanket is across the face obstructing the baby's chin, the baby's mouth is open and the eyes rolled back. For a portrait of a baby, generally, the face is the most important thing in the image and should be clearly shown. There should be something there to engage the viewer - either in the eyes of the baby or in the pose of the infant if they eyes are not engaging the viewer. The downward angle is very uncomfortable from the viewer's point of view. I know if this was a portrait of my baby, I would not buy it since I can't see the baby's face, and would not enjoy looking at the image due to the awkward camera angle used.

Amy_Hall
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Since the Olympics are almost here, I'm going to use an Olympic analogy. Let's take for example: gymnastics. The gymnasts are required to do a compulsory routine containing certain elements that must be in there. If those elements aren't in there, they automatically fail. But, they can't simply include those elements and forget about form and style. A handstand without pointed toes would get marked down. A front or back flip with legs flying everywhere instead of being tucked in tight would get marked down. A cartwheel on the balance beam without pointed toes or falling off while doing the cartwheel would get marked down. My point is, you keep focusing on one aspect of the compulsory images and one aspect only. Then you are upset because there are these "hidden" rules. When in reality, the compulsory images have to be technically sound in all aspects while also demonstrating a mandatory technique. Just like the Olympic athletes having to demonstrate certain skills while at the same time maintaining their basic form and style. Does that make sense?

MWatson
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Claudia, Please understand that the replies here on the forum are for your benefit. As a PPA member, each of us enjoy seeing other photographers improve their skills. Rick is probably the most concern, patient and with excellent knowledge on here. Due to your frustration you are failing to hear what everyone is saying to you. This is a quote from the CPP image upload page,

The first six (6) images uploaded must fit within the new compulsory guidelines showing a standardized technical proficiency that all professional photographers, regardless of specialty, should know. (These images may come directly from client files or may be set up to demonstrate the technique that is required.)

A standard technical proficiency that all professional photographers, regardless of specialty, should know. This line includes the elements, details or aspects that aren't clear to you. This means that your image needs to be refined in every aspect along with the compulsory requirements as well.

Probably, if you focus your sight into how to refine your images in all aspects to reach a higher level, it would be of a big benefit to you. We as professional do this every day. We always strive to get better. We would like for you to strive to get better too.