PDA

View Full Version : Short lighting image for certification

ccavedova
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
So, I have a question regarding the short lighting image for certification. In my last attempt at submitting my images, my short lighting image (which was passed the second time, and I was told by my second judging feedback person that you could resubmit images that had already been passed), wasn't passed on my third attempt, and during the judging feedback session this time, the comment about this image was that her head wasn't turned 'enough' toward the light. Her head was clearly turned toward the light however, it apparently wasn't turned enough. So what is the actual number of degrees that the head has to be turned toward the light to deem the image an image using short lighting?

Joe_Galioto
07-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Cludia
I think there's some confusion
A face could be short or broad lite facing straight towards camera
It's about it's relation to the key light
In a studio setting:
So first you direct the face and then you light it
Of course of your dealing with available light then the light is fixed and you position the subject next and the camera position third
Hope this helps
This is generic info Not just for certification

ccavedova
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
According to the PPA certification exam questions, AND my text book from photography school short lighting is defined as this: "the key light fully illuminates the side of the face turned away from the camera".

Rick_Massarini
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Why don't you post your image here so we can see what you're talking about...

Mark_Levesque
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
It's not so much how many degrees it's turned, but how the light strikes the face, so it's not just the angle of the face with respect to the camera, it is also the relationship of the face to the main light. You should be getting some light onto the broad side of the face as well (which then falls into shadow), otherwise you are really making split light.