PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Exam

Amy_Hall
07-17-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm taking the exam on Thursday, and I'm starting to get nervous:o I feel prepared but am afraid of that being a false sense of confidence and I keep thinking maybe there's a bunch of stuff I'm missing. Any tips or advice?

KirkDarling
07-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Memorize the color wheels, both additive and subtractive. Then as soon as you start your test, draw them on your scratch paper. Then write out both the aperture and the shutter speed progressions on the scratch paper.

Thomas_Miller
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Yep, what Kirk said. There are several tests and not all the questions are in 'the book'. Some answers are from experience.

Marie_M
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Good Luck, Amy! Wishing you the best!

Amy_Hall
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Will do, Kirk, thank you.

Thanks for the well wishes, Marie! I'm excited to be taking this step in my career!

MWatson
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Amy, Have you looked over this info ? http://certifiedphotographer.com/resources/cpp-resources/cpp-certification-exam-specifications/

Stay calm, you can do it !

Amy_Hall
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Thank you, Mike! Encouragement from you and others keeps me motivated! I have looked over that list and am feeling good about most categories. I did notice something that I need to brush up on some more when I looked it over again.

MWatson
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Sounds good. Brush up here too... http://quizlet.com/2059436/certified-professional-photographer-flash-cards/

ChristyLynn
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't over think things. I tend to do that and I don't do well on test and I passed it. But what everyone else here has said. Draw out the color chart and the aperture scale so you don't have to "think" about those. :) Good Luck!!!

Amy_Hall
07-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Christy! I'll be doing a happy dance tomorrow when I'm done with it:) And then I'll start stressing over the image submission:)

Ed_Sharp
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
My strategy was go through and answer the questions I was absolutely sure of and then go back to do the ones that I didn't know for sure and and anything " mathy" . I had at least 70 questions I was confident in having the correct answer, so that took the pressure off for the rest of the test.

Amy_Hall
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
That sounds like a good strategy, Ed. I'll probably do the same thing.

Rick_Massarini
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Amy,

Just remember when you're taking the test to answer the best "textbooK" answer and not the best "real-world" answer. There are some questions on there that if you answer the best "real-world" answer about what would be the best answer in a business world situation, you'll get it marked wrong. So if there is a simpler "textbook" answer that would NOT be your answer in a REAL world situation - answer the question with the best "textbook" answer - since that is what they want. Sometimes, the best "textbook" answer is not the best "real world" answer and often, the "textbook" answer is not even an option since we are professionals and are expected to perform and deliver no matter how much work it is to overcome the problems and deliver the client the work that they want and/or need. At times, other considerations must be made and we, as professionals, are expected to be able to work around the limitations inflicted by the situation we are in - that's not the answer the CPP test wants. The simpler answer is usually the one they want. When I took the test, there were 6 questions like this on it. I answered the best "real-world" answer along with a note in my booklet for someone to review those questions for that very reason - I got a 94 on the test - so it proved it to me - and if your score is somewhere in the 65-75 range, those 6 points could make the difference between passing and failing.

Louise_St_Romain
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
My strategy was go through and answer the questions I was absolutely sure of and then go back to do the ones that I didn't know for sure and and anything " mathy" . I had at least 70 questions I was confident in having the correct answer, so that took the pressure off for the rest of the test.

That's what I did as well. :)

Amy_Hall
07-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Ack! Test done. Rick, you were so right. The ambiguity of some of those questions was crazy. Several had what appeared to be 2 right answers. I tried to pick the best answer and am just hoping I picked the answer they wanted.

Rick_Massarini
07-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I hope that my post had you thinking in the right direction. I'm sure that you'll come through it OK ! Let me congratulate you in advance !

Amy_Hall
07-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Would everyone please join me in doing the happy dance? Because I passed my test!!!

Marie_M
07-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Just imagine snoopy doing his dance..that's what I'm doing right now! Congratulations!

ChristyLynn
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Congratulations!!!! That's awesome!

MWatson
07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
I knew that you could do it Amy. I am happy for you. Okay, when is the next image submission date? Let's go !!

Amy_Hall
07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you, friends! I'm even more excited now to move on to the image submission. I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement!

Vance_Wagener
08-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Congratulations Amy! Knew you'd make. Let me know if I do anything to help with the image submission. I'm here for you anytime. :)

Amy_Hall
08-06-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks, Vance! I appreciate you setting up the test for me and listening to me fret afterwards:)