PDA

View Full Version : Wanna break a seal

Mark_McCall
07-06-2012, 03:24 AM
I have a 4 for 4 case from Southwest.

One of those images is strong enough for EI, which I will be entering next year.
I want to break the seal and replace it with another.

But here's my problem.....
When registering my images, the PPA website says "You're case is locked and cannot be changed".
Can you not break seals anymore? I really, REALLY want to hold this image out.

Customer Service is closed.
Anyone else go through this?

Rick_Massarini
07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
You should be able to break the seal if you want to, but you may have to get someone to unlock the file. If you've already paid your fee, and you're already entered, you might be able to get someone to unlock it tomorrow. I don't think that they would charge you the late entry fee if you held off uploading the files because you wanted to break a seal. But I could be wrong...

Mark, call me on my cell...

Sarah_Johnston
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree with Rick. You will have to do this thru headquarters.

Rick_Massarini
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Mark - Any response yet from last nights emails?
Did they unlock that file for you?

Cheri_MacCallum
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Heard from a friend a few days ago that wanted to break the seal and was told by someone at PPA that they could not and that the system was not set up for that. Curious to hear what happens in this case.

MJ_Campanellie
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I actually broke two seals this year. I contacted PPA customer service and they took care of it for me really quick. It can be done but someone has to manually unlock it for you.

brekke_felt
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
This is only my second year, I am curious what it means to break a seal and why you would choose to do that.

Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
07-16-2012, 08:05 PM
This is only my second year, I am curious what it means to break a seal and why you would choose to do that.

Thanks!

When an image is "Sealed" at a PPA regional judging it means that it has been pre-approved for acceptance at the next IPC. "Sealed" entries are automatically accepted into the General Exhibit and are judged for possible inclusion in the PPA "Loan Collection". Breaking a seal means giving up the automatic acceptance status to enter an altered version of that image or a completely different image into the IPC.

Breaking seals occurs more in the Masters group than in the General (non-masters) group. For non-masters, getting images accepted into the PPA General Collection is the primary goal so that they can earn the Exhibition Merits needed to qualify for their Masters degree. But for the Masters, the bar gets raised a bit higher, since their goal is now the Imaging Excellence Award, which requires the same number of Loan Collection prints to obtain as it takes General Exhibit prints to earn a Masters degree. So the Imaging Excellence Award is the equivalent of a "Masters in Loan Collection Images". So for a Master, a General Exhibit print is OK, but the real goal is the Loan Collection. So, many Masters will break the seal on a print and change it somewhat if they feel that the changes will have a better chance of putting that image into the Loan Collection instead of just the General Exhibit. And to be in the ASP Exhibit, the image must be a "Masters Loan Collection" image - so for an ASP Master, a General Exhibit print does not get the image exhibited in the ASP Masters Loan section of the print Exhibit and the ASP "Best of the Best" slide show (which is where they really want it to be). That's one of the reasons why ASP is referred to as "The Next Level".

Kyfoto
07-18-2012, 01:42 AM
You can definitely break a seal. I think they are having trouble with the system but a call to PPA will take care of the problem.