PDA

View Full Version : IPC will this one work?

MSantelik
06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Well, do you think this one is worthy of sending as is or should I do any work to it?

J_Davidson
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't think this has any impact, and probably would not merit.

The light and windows appear blown out, and then you have the light coming in from camera left which appears to be supplemental light from you, and camera left is dark. It feels very unbalanced to me.

Joe_Galioto
06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Michelle
Two things judges look for is universal apeal & story telling
I'm confused as to what's going on or what your trying to say with this image
Maybe a title would help explain it

MSantelik
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Joe,

I was thinking of calling it "Taking a moment." It is of a man literally taking a moment before he was entering the court room for verdict.

As for Jill's above post, I understand what she is saying as to the lighting/balance. There is no supplemental light coming from me. She is referring to the sunlight coming in from an open door that was behind me.

Do you agree that this picture has no impact?

Roger_Williams
06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Michell,

"Just before the verdict"

Knowing what it's about does add impact for me. Can you get back to that spot on a cloudy day or nighttime and reshoot it just for the window, the light fixture and door light on the floor so you can mask them in? With a really good title, I do like the shot. Not sure how high it would score but I like it.

Kyfoto
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
The image has elements that make it interesting but it has a lot of distractions. The exposure values on the windows, light fixture, window or door showing through railing are all blown out, drawing too much attention and not allowing us to focus on the story which is the man awaiting the verdict. The windows are so hot you can't see any separation between the light and the window in some places.
There are some things you could do to make it better but I believe it would be too much work for an image that will probably be a mid 70's scoring print.
For future reference, I think it would be stronger cropped in tight on either side and forcing the composition into a stronger vertical.

MSantelik
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you Roger and David.

You both have made great points. Looking at the RAW file I know I can bring back the detail in the picture. Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Michell