PDA

View Full Version : @ David Huntsman regarding my images being good enough

Michelle_Johnson
06-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Dave, I went back and tried to apply your suggestions as regards to my images you looked over for IPC. I have dropped the ones that needed to much work and added 2 more. I hope I am not being to greedy to have you take another look and straighten me out once more. (I am still concern about image 1 if her arms and shoulder looks muddy still.)
Thank you again for helping me!
michelle

Kyfoto
06-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Image #1 Looks better, you still need to tone down the arm without making it look muddy. Particularly in the wrist area. I've had success taking blown out areas and using the healing brush putting the texture back in and then using a color brush getting the color to blend with the color on the rest of the area.

Image #2 You might back that crop off just a smidge, maybe not into the hair on the boys.

Image #3 I like the skinny crop better, you might want to leave a little more space abover her as well. You'll want to present it low on the mount board and keep the presentation tall and thin as well.

Image #4 I love the interaction of this couple, lighting is nice on them. You will need to tone down the foreground and a little bit of the ladies dress and arms, keep it sublte. Not sure what the stick is in her hand but I would get rid of it also. Maybe crop a little off the bottom but not too much.

Image #5 For me the flare has degraded the young lady from the waist up so much that I can't get into her. It's a neat concept but for me it just doesn't work.

Hope this helps some and isn't too confusing.

Michelle_Johnson
06-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Thank you so very much! Truth is, I am always confused, but I got it! I knew Image #5 was a long shot....so I was not surprise by your comment and I agree. I was unsure how much to crop Image #3. I am glad you included so much detail. All your suggestions are doable. I am going to save this information and start working on my images. I still don't know if they are good enough, even after I apply your advice, but I guess I will see and learn even more after I enter them.
thank you for your help.
michelle

Amy_Hall
06-25-2012, 03:32 AM
I'm in awe of everyone who is so willing to put themselves out there for critique and then for judging in competition. I love reading all the critiques and learning from them. So thank you to the poster and the critiquer for helping us all to learn:)

Michelle_Johnson
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Amy I have so much to learn. I am so grateful to have PPA and my state PPLA to help me grow. As for the public critiques I just swallow hard and take it with a smile. Truthfully I have fears by doing this kind of thing, in that, I may look like I am not a good enough photographer, and have all my mistakes highlighted for the others to see. But what I am in fear more of, is thinking I am good when I am not, at least not yet. ;) I know it will make me better and I know it is probably just as hard for the judge to tell me what is wrong with my images on a public forum as it is for me to hear them. I think we all benefit from this kind of critique... and Hey! I have some of the best photographers in the world here in PPA, telling me how to get better, I'm not going to pass that up...bring on the critiques
michelle