PDA

View Full Version : More help with the IPC

ctruesdell
06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Here are four new images for consideration for the IPC. I'm having a terrible time picking images. The first image I cleaned up since the last post. Out of these eight images (including the other three from post "Help with IPC) which do you think are the strongest. Any thoughts on titles would also be appreciated. Thank you for your suggestions.

Image #1- I cleaned up the first image and cropped in on dad a little closer. It looked strange when flipped so I left it flipped as it was. I was considering the title "Love Comes Softly".

Image #2- Title is "The Looking Glass".

Image #3- Title is "Something Old, Something New, Something Small, Something Blue". Is that way too long?

Image #4- I was thinking the title would be "Milk Maid".

Image #5- I don't know what to title this. Any suggestions? "Big Sister" seems too boring.

J_Davidson
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
#1 - Sometimes when we flip things they seem really strange to us because we're used to looking at them the way we shot them. Would you be willing to crop it tighter into the shoulder and show it flipped?

#2 - The door is the brightest spot in your image and will pull focus from your girl in the mirror, I think this image would score in the mid 70's

#3 - This image needs a bigger matboard, and needs to be flipped. The baby being where its at is keeping the eye from traveling through. The title IMO is too long, but I'm a short title lover.

#4 - Cute, and great client image, but I don't think it would merit.

#5 - There's not a lot of impact in this image. The older sister isn't looking at the little sister, and she's staring off into the unknown. Also the arms are leading the eye out of the image. Its great client work, but I don't think it would merit as it sits.

Kyfoto
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I played with your image #1 cropped and flipped. I didn't care for it flipped, I like coming into the baby and then continuing into mom's face. I do think cropping it tighter could help. It has a nice feeling to it. There are still a couple of issues though. the lack of detail in a lot of the blacks (dads hair, moms hair) and the key line is way too heavy. If you are going to use keylines and digital matting you need to keep it very subtle.
I agree with Jill on the second image, the door is very distracting, the lack of focus on the foreground subject is hard to get past, and the lighting is not flattering coming from the top. The top of the image demands most of the attention due to the brightness on the wall and the mirror.
#3 cute concept, I love the overall design of the image. Good choice on the panorama format. For me it would score in the low to mid 70's. The expression or lack of on the baby doesn't do it for me and the lighiting is very flat, particularly on the baby.
#4 I again agree with Jill. It's a very cute image, probably the best of the 5 shown. I love the pose and the expression on this. Lighting is a little hot on the towel or blanket. I feel the bottle and plant would be better as a background element than a foreground element allowing it to go a little soft.
# 5 There isn't an emotional connection between the 2 subjects. The older girl is looking far away. The lighting is too harsh and contrasty for this type of subject matter, it also too hot on the faces.

J_Davidson
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Dave is DA MAN! His advice is gold.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Cherie,
You have some really nice concepts that you are taking pretty far. I am away on vacation, but will offer a comment I see on almost all of your images. They are laking a sense of three dimensionality. Meaning...your images do not have the full depth that they should, and it makes me sad to see you get this close, light the face, then remove almost all of the shadow with a fill light. I am not saying you should have super high ratios on every face, but take the bike for instance. There is a wonderful quality to the light on the bike, and a super flat light pattern on the baby.

Next time you shoot these type of images, consider shooting a bunch for the client with a flatter ratio, then, turn off your fill light, or remove your fill card and see if the image has more depth.

Jeff

ctruesdell
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you, everyone, for responding. I have learned an invaluable lesson about lighting. I guess I've heard so many people talk about filling in shadows that I started to think that I had to eliminate the majority of them. I have been lighting the subjects a little too flat but then post processing them to make them even more flat! I will definitely work on this in my next session. I am so, so glad to learn this while still a new photographer, before I have years of flat photos to show. lol
Do you suggest to not use white blankets in these shoots? To expose the baby correctly the blanket has to look pretty white. There is still detail on the histogram in the blanket though. I will probably add more texture on top of the blanket and submit this image anyway with the family pic. While I'm discouraged about my chances this year, I can make some immediate changes to my work to make it better in the future.
Thank you all for your advice. It was truly helpful.

DianeDavis
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Great advice. My thoughts for the title on the last image is something along the lines of "Sharing Secrets".