PDA

View Full Version : Help with IPC

ctruesdell
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
This is my first year to enter the IPC. What do you think of these choices? Also what do you think about the digital matting? Thank you for your time.

Cherie

J_Davidson
06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Red haired girl with mom's belly: I think this would score in the mid 70's. The clothing is quite hot, the little girl is flat lit, and the back of her hand is facing the camera. In addition mom's arm is just hanging down in the background. It doesn't "speak" to me, or tell me a story. With regard to the matting the stroke is very thick, and obtrusive

Mom kissing baby: I think I would prefer to see this flipped, and cropped in a little tighter. Dad's head is blocking my eye from traveling through the image. I would probably also reccomend to remove the flyaway hairs on mom. Mat placement is workable for this crop. However if you tighten it up, I would reccomend keeping mat placement on the top side of your mat. What are you titling this image? It will need a strong title to aid it. I think with the right title, and post work this could potentially earn a merit.

Baby in the cart: There's a lot going on in this image, that is pulling focus away from the baby itself. If you've added a lot of this in post, I would go back and simplify as much as possible. It appears as though the image is soft viewing it on here, but that could be from compression during upload. I think this would score in the mid/low 70's.

Baby on Barrel: Another situation where you need a very strong title. Children are tough to merit with, and they have to be exceptional. While this is a fantastic client image, I don't think it would score high enough to merit due to impact. My guess is it would be a mid/low 70's image

I hope this helps a bit. Also, my opinions are just that. Please apply what works best for you.

ctruesdell
06-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. What do you mean by "keeping mat placement on the top side of your mat"? Do you mean to have a larger portion of mat on top?

J_Davidson
06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
No, crop your image into a more of a pano, and slide it to the top of your mat, and leave more mat showing on the bottom.

okumoto
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Hello Cherie--
You obviously enjoy creating fabulous images. I'm quite sure you clients appreciates your talents. But when it comes to entries into print competition, you are being judged by your peers and the elements that create a merit image.

The expression of the little girl's face up against mommy's tummy has a good start. The brightness in the dress and her hand should be toned down. Unfortunately cropping out that area is not an option.
As a general observation of all of your images, the stroke line should be a thin delicate stroke, and not to be so bold to be distracting from the main subject. A reduction of around 70% would become a nice thin accent line.

The family portrait- is very well done with a very nice quality of light across the faces. Additional tighter cropping would keep the viewer not to wonder into the blank areas. Removing the father's profile would be an improvement. If you another image where the father is 'involved'(looking at the child) could help the storytelling.

Teddy bears: Very cute, good quality of light. The first problem which could be corrected easily is to 'level' the image, it looks like it's tilting. Tone down the blank areas, carriage, bears. The main subject appears to be cropped too tightly, loosen up the crop, let the image 'grow' within the presentation.

Baby on the barrel: Very nice, good direction of light. Toning down the bright areas will lead the viewer to the main subject much quicker. The bright burlap holds the eyes from 'finding' the baby. The baby's body could use a very slight toning also. Darken the horseshoe or remove it completely. Additional cropping out the floor would help (up to the fur rug).

I hope this helps, don't be discouraged, good luck!
Dwight Okumoto
CPP., M. Photog., M. Artist, M. EI., Cr., API.

Rick_Massarini
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
By way of introductions, for those who don't know Dwight Okumoto...

Dwight is from Honolulu, Hawaii. He is a PPA-PEC Approved Juror, and has judged at the IPC many times. He is one of a very few individuals who have received EVERY PPA degree plus the Imaging Excellence Award, plus the Imaging Excellence Bar award. In simple terms, the Imaging Excellence Award is given for having the same number of merits required for the Masters Degree only in Loan Collection images - and the Bar is given for having that number of Loan Collection images still again.

He is a Master of Photography, Photographic Craftsman, Master of Electronic Imaging, Master Artist, a Certified Professional Photographer, an Approved Photographic Instructor, the Executive Director of the Professional Photographers of Hawaii, a PPA Councilor, - and just a really cool guy! Those of you who worked on the print crew at Imaging this year will remember him since he helped us to set-up and take-down the print print exhibit (he's always helping out, and you just can't slow him down).

In other words - he really knows his stuff and is a great resource for our forum members. I'd just like welcome him to the forum.