PDA

View Full Version : Would this image be competitive in IPC?

Ron__McKinney_
06-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Hi gang, relatively new with PPA and I like the idea of participating in competitions and growing through the experience. I'd like to know if this images are worthy of submitting to the IPC. Thanks in advance!

I've just added a b&w version. Ryan mentioned in a post down below that it might look better desaturated and that makes sense, as the concept here is the solitude life as a dancer. Thoughts?

Ron

P.S. If this is your first time to this thread, you may read comments below about pictures that I've pulled from this post as I'm now focusing on this shot.

1. Life of a Dancer
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7399423426_861811dcf7_c.jpg

2. Life of a Dancer (b&w)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7472985078_6862d4f4cb_c.jpg

dougbox
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I like the first image, good color and exposure. I would probably crop off the top to get rid of the pipes and after the 4th or 5 th window from right. Her expression is what needs to be addressed in the title, is her expression. This is a great location!

On the second image, I would like to see the whole image printed way down. Make it a full silhouette. This will get rid of that really bright white spot behind the couple.

I like the last image, but it needs something. Because it was done in the hard sun, it just needs something to break up the hardness, maybe a texture of some kind. Also, try cropping the staircase on the left, cut if off just to the right of the upright on the left.

Nice work with the dancers, you have a nice style.

Linda_Gregory
06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
On the first one you may wish to see what it looks like with the far left window darkened some. It keeps pulling me away from what you want to be the main subject.

Ron__McKinney_
06-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks, Doug and Linda. My niche has been dance photography, and I'm just now expanding out to weddings and senior portraits, etc.

I have darkened the window some, and I can see how darkening it more can keep more attention on the dancer. Interesting that you should mention her expression as part of the title. The concept in this shot is to represent the solitude of being a dancer. I'm definitely going to take your suggestions to heart and see how they impact the images.

Thanks again! Ron

Kyfoto
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
In addition to the comments above, on the first image I would crop some off the bottom to make it a panoramic image, I would also crop the window to the far left out all together. It is a very nice image. Be sure and present the image with some sort of presentation, digital matting (kept simple and subtle).

The second image has beautiful lighting on the young ladies face but I agree with Doug in that the background is so hot the image would have to be printed way down.

The third image I again agree with Doug, crop off the stairs on the left, they lead you out of the image. The harshness of the lighting is a problem and I'm not sure what you could do to make it a strong competition image.

Ron__McKinney_
06-24-2012, 11:55 PM
So it sounds like my first image, with some work, has a shot of being competitive. The others might need some more work.

The third shot is intentionally very contrasty, very saturated. While it is shot in direct light, the exposure is very good. I may re-look at how I edited that one.

Thanks for your comments!

Linda_Gregory
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Ron, in competition, one of the goals is to see if you can handle different situations that light gives you. Meaning, if the light is harsh, you don't take it, it's so rarely flattering or gives a good lighting pattern to the face.

If you like that look and wish to enter it, you're going to have to make it look very intentional (give it a purpose for being so) and use a title to help explain it.

Ryan_Brown
06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Also, on the first one that has serious potential, I will add that in needs lens correction photoshop. On the far left you see the distortion With the vertical lines leaning. This needs to be straightened. With all of the comments and a good presentation I think you have it. I would possible consider going with a desaturated look as well. Soft pastel look for a dancer is nice.

Ron__McKinney_
06-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Okay, thanks Linda and Ryan. I think I will probably focus on the first one. Ryan, appreciate the comment about going more desaturated, as that goes along with the concept of solitude. I'm thinking about going with the title of "A Dancer's Life".

Jeff_Dachowski
06-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Consider cropping out the first window you encounter on the left. By doing so, I think your composition is much stronger.
Jeff

Ron__McKinney_
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, Jeff.

Photor1
07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Lovely Image Ron, I would however make it a long and skinny like a 10x20. To much information around her for me. I love her and the long window going back. Glad you had her look that way also. Good job!