PDA

View Full Version : Dummy for compulsory images

RandyR
06-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Ok not a crash dummy, but a manneguin head. Just wondering if the compulsory images could be shot without a live model

The attached image is like one I am thinking about shooting.

Vance_Wagener
06-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Randy,

Sorry, a component of compulsory images is proper posing, clothing and cropping. Not just lighting patterns.

Just a reminder: Compulsory images can be done with the same person in multiple examples unlike the client images where you can only use the same person once.

Good luck with your testing and port review.

RandyR
06-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info.

Missy50
06-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Randy. I am submitting mine this week.

Side note on Randy: He wins a lot of door prizes.:p

KirkDarling
06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I would add to Vance that it is the presumption of the judges that they are looking at a an active professional at work (which is why the other images are supposed to be actual client work), and I would suggest that it's better not to strain that presumption unnecessarily at any point.

I would suggest practicing as much as necessary with a mannikin head until one can quickly and accurately apply the lighting techniques to a real subject (if not an actual client during an actual session). The original concept, as I recall conversation, was that the challenge would have been, "Show a client image that was done with short lighting; show a client image that was done with broad lighting...." It's already a major concession from the original concept to allow the compulsories to be "exam work" rather than actual client work.

So I would not push it. You might pass those images on that technicality, but it's only going to make the judges examine your other images all the more closely just as a matter of human nature.

RandyR
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I quote from the CPP Image Submission Requirements.

What are the Compulsory Images?
The compulsory section is comprised of 3 mandatory images and 3 elective images. They may come directly from client files or be set up to demonstrate the required techniques.

If one read this one could make the assumption that you could use setup shots not client images, and if one was trying to demonstrate their knowledge of short lighting as what is the first mandatory requirement is then one could assume a mannequin head would work. The requirements do not state that posing or other techniques would be reviewed for the 6 mandatory submissions, those I would assume would come from the other 9 images that were taken from your client images.

RandyR
06-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Randy. I am submitting mine this week.

Side note on Randy: He wins a lot of door prizes.:p

Good luck on your image submission, and I only won lots of door prizes because I spent a lot of money. Good to see you at the convention.

Angela_Lawson
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
As a certification liaison, I get this question quite frequently, and decided to get the answer directly from the PPCC. The answer is no. And Vance and Kirk are both correct. A mannequin head is great for practicing on, but is not allowed for your actual image submission. You may use the same subject (person) to demonstrate your 6 mandatory images, but each image WILL be judged as a whole, not just for the mandatory element. The PPCC wants to see that you not only have a handle on each element that you are showing, but that you are able to put it all together, as a package, so to speak. Hope that helps!

RandyR
06-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Angela,

Thanks for your reply, I understand now that I asked but I do think the submission requirements should say something to that regard, as if I had not asked I would have submitted the mannequin images. It was not that I did not have client images or could have used a real person, it was I had some free time at the studio and decided to shoot the images for the compulsory images.

Again thanks for everyone that commented.

Rick_Massarini
06-20-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't understand the difference it makes between using a mannequin or just grabbing another photographer to use as a subject - we all work long hours, every weekend, many nights, and every holiday, and it was our choice to do it - so I guess we would all qualify as dummies - so pick any photographer friend - we're all as good as a mannequin... (sorry - just couldn't resist the poor humor)...
Now - back to serious discussions...:rolleyes:

Christopher_Lopez
06-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I don't understand the difference it makes between using a mannequin or just grabbing another photographer to use as a subject - we all work long hours, every weekend, many nights, and every holiday, and it was our choice to do it - so I guess we would all qualify as dummies - so pick any photographer friend - we're all as good as a mannequin... (sorry - just couldn't resist the poor humor)...
Now - back to serious discussions...:rolleyes:

Haha! Good laugh! Needed it while studying for the test tomorrow =)

stonestreet
06-20-2012, 10:17 PM
When look at compulsory images requirements you have to read the entire document - it clearly gives written examples under each catagory - no where do I see a manequin head is allowed. Nor do I personally believe this is in the spirit of CPP and working with client because the judges are no just looking for lighting - they are also looking at posing, composition, color balance, styling of your subject - and non of these things would apply if you used just a "head"