PDA

View Full Version : Why so quiet?

Tss1203
06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised how quiet this folder has been.... Everybody really has all their images ready to send? I think I must be the only one already knowing I'll be hitting the late registration, lol!

I'm still in desperate need of two more images and have absolutely no idea what to send in.

Anyone else? Am I completely alone?

MWatson
06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Amy, I agree with you. This folder have been quiet. I miss the good reading. The posts on here were beneficial in preparing my case for this year, (first time). My case has been sent and is in Atlanta already. So, now I have to be patient and wait. Maybe new posts on how everyone else is doing would help with the waiting.

Rick_Massarini
06-12-2012, 09:48 PM
The folder might be quiet, but emails haven't been - I've gotten a lot of last minute requests for critiques (18 in the last week or so), but they wanted them one on one - some people want critiques but just don't want them in public on the forum.

Tss1203
06-13-2012, 04:42 AM
interesting. I get wanting private critiques, sometimes I feel I over ask for critiques in this folder. But then, I really like sharing so everyone can learn!

Rick_Massarini
06-13-2012, 05:10 AM
I also feel that it's better to do them on the forum so everyone can learn. But I won't refuse help to someone who asks and doesn't want to be publicly reviewed on the forum. Plus, I have a voice recognition program that types what I say, so I just have to dictate the critique, so it doesn't take that much time to do them.

Rick_Massarini
06-14-2012, 09:02 PM
The members may be tired of hearing the same old voices on here giving critiques so they may have slowed or stopped posting - I'm trying to get some "new voices" on here to help out with the critiques. Actually, not really "new" voices since they're all gonna be old hands at competition, but "other" voices whose comments the members can trust.

J_Davidson
06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I need one more image, and I'm struggling deeply at this point. I may have one from a wedding this past weekend, but I'm worried that its going to be a major fence sitter.

Tss1203
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I need one more image, and I'm struggling deeply at this point. I may have one from a wedding this past weekend, but I'm worried that its going to be a major fence sitter.

same here...except I need two more :(

Amy_Hall
06-15-2012, 02:39 AM
The members may be tired of hearing the same old voices on here giving critiques so they may have slowed or stopped posting - I'm trying to get some "new voices" on here to help out with the critiques. Actually, not really "new" voices since they're all gonna be old hands at competition, but "other" voices whose comments the members can trust.

Additional voices are nice, but I for one, don't get tired of hearing the old voices either. Of course I'm still relatively new to the forum so no one's voices are that old to me.

Missy50
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
The folder might be quiet, but emails haven't been - I've gotten a lot of last minute requests for critiques (18 in the last week or so), but they wanted them one on one - some people want critiques but just don't want them in public on the forum.

When I get back home (we went to Mobil for a few days) I am going to send you that one photo for any possible changes needed before being sent to IC and maybe a few more that have not been seen by anyone.

Enjoyed meeting you last weekend. Thanks for being a judge. And thanks for the cc's.

Tss1203
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
aw, but Missy you won't share with us here?

Missy50
06-16-2012, 02:41 AM
OK, I will. Just no one ever comments on my stuff so I quit posting any of my work...
We just got home. I will have time to post it tomorrow or Sunday. :)

Tss1203
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
yay! maybe I'll share the images I'm thinking about using too.

Missy50
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
This scored 83. I want to edit to try to better the score at international. Judges commented on some of the feathers in front not being in focus. And some of the background is distracting. I want to fix that. I may see if I have another photo close to this one. I have many good ones from this session.

This scored 77. I have other photos (shot w/two cameras/lens) at different angles, depth of field, etc. I need to use one that does not have so much pasta in the front (I can crop this one). My fear is if I use a photo w/total sharpness w/depth of field I will have a judge who will question why I did not shoot according to the new trends. (A slice of the image in focus.) I always offer both to the client.

Tips, suggestions, any appreciated.:)

J_Davidson
06-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I like your bird, and if you sealed it at District I wouldn't mess with it, and risk breaking the seal.

The plate of food, I'm on the fence about. I think I would rather see it flipped so that the pasta is leading into the rest of the plate.

What are your titles for these?

J_Davidson
06-16-2012, 08:47 PM
On the pasta I almost wonder if the color of your mat held it back too. It seems bland and dreary, where you'd almost want something to make the meal leap off at you.

Missy50
06-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I know the stroke on the pasta dish lost me points. I made it too big and when I got it back from the lab it looked bright shiny gold!

What is the score/qualifications to have an image seal? I forgot.

Edited to add the names of the images.

The Grey

Ready to Eat?

Missy50
06-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Another I am considering.
Face of Autism is the name.

Rick_Massarini
06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
What is the score/qualifications to have an image seal?

An image that scores 80 or above at a PPA District Judging will receive a "Seal of Approval". This applies only to District Judgings and does not apply to state competitions - unless the state happens to be hosting a PPA District judging.

J_Davidson
06-18-2012, 03:12 AM
On your pasta, try a white mat, w/ a red stroke in the tone of the plate.

Set your stroke at about 3, an set it to inside so the corners are sharp instead of rounded like you have them now. I'd also flip it for a better lead into the primary focus of the image.

Title wise, I think the title is a little weak. What is the name of the dish?

Missy50
06-18-2012, 03:47 AM
An image that scores 80 or above at a PPA District Judging will receive a "Seal of Approval". This applies only to District Judgings and does not apply to state competitions - unless the state happens to be hosting a PPA District judging.

Though we call Miss-AL our district, SEPPA is really considered our district, correct? Then I need to rework the parrot before resending.

Title wise, I think the title is a little weak. What is the name of the dish?
Parmesan Chicken Marinara
I will try those changes. I am also looking for one from a different angle taken w/a different camera & lens.

Thanks

Rick_Massarini
06-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Though we call Miss-AL our district, SEPPA is really considered our district, correct? Then I need to rework the parrot before resending.

Correct. The 83 you received on the image at Miss/Ala is not a seal, but it does give you a pretty good idea of what that print would score at a District judging since there were four PPA-PEC approved jurors on that particular panel. You can only receive a seal at SEPPA. But - if you do not want to wait until next year to send it to your District, you can send the image directly to the IPC without being sealed. It will be judged for merit at the IPC, and if accepted there, you will receive a merit and it will be judged for Loan. It does NOT have to go to a District first before being submitted to the IPC. And... they are accepting entries for the IPC right now.

RonNichols
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Missy,

On the bird I'd suggest softening the darker red spots on the background to the left of his wing. I think that is all you need to do.

On the food shot, IMHO it's not going to make it as a merit and most likely another image from the same session is unlikely to be accepted. Food is extremely difficult and the bar is set very high with images like this. In most cases a food stylist is brought in and every piece on the dish is carefully placed. The lighting needs to be flawless and you need to be able to taste it when you look at it. Food is one of the most difficult things to photograph.

RonNichols
06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Missy. RE: The Face of Autism

Great subject, wonderful face, but it lacks the technical qualities that would move it to the 80's. The tonal range is limited, and the composition is not solid. His face is very square and the shoulder very dynamic which draws me there, because of the diagonal and the white background creating strong contrast. The eyes need more "life".

It's ok to enter images that may not hang, because you learn through the process. Be sure to order the critiques from IPC and they are fantastic.

Missy50
06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks Ron. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I may go with just the bird. I would be thrilled if it hangs. If not, a learning experience that will improve my skills.

Thanks so much!

Tss1203
06-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Love the bird Missy. Nice highlight across the right side!

You already said what you needed to change/fix, so I won't comment on it.

Why not still pick 3 more and send them in? I always pay the extra to get the critique b/c I find them very helpful.

Missy50
06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Amy. I think paying for the cc is great!

I will go through my files and see what I can come up with.

Tss1203
06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
here is one I'm contemplating. I know it would need some clean up of some really distracting elements, etc, but before I do any of that I'm interested in hearing a "yay" or Nay" on it. I like it, DH says I should look for something else.

I'm trying to squeeze two more merits out of my case....
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_2398-Edit-2copy-1.jpg

Tss1203
06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
and I say 'clean up of distracting elements' fully understanding that part of the "point" of the image is how much is going on. The light in the windshield and the sign behind his head keep pulling my eyes away, so I know I need to clean those up.

Missy50
06-18-2012, 11:38 PM
here is one I'm contemplating. I know it would need some clean up of some really distracting elements, etc, but before I do any of that I'm interested in hearing a "yay" or Nay" on it. I like it, DH says I should look for something else.

I'm trying to squeeze two more merits out of my case....
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_2398-Edit-2copy-1.jpg

I am not qualified to comment.

It is a little busy for my taste (I just want a black or white background with something in front of it or a flower or stunning landscape....)

It has the elements. Cleaning it up will take a lot of that busyness away. Might could be a bit grungier.

Rick_Massarini
06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Amy,
I like the image, and I like all the detail in the engine area, it just has a few hot spots that keep pulling my eye away from the face that I would take down a bit to focus the attention on the face - those areas are the intake manifold which is a bit bright as is the white card in the window of the truck, the hot spots on the firewall and the frame members in the front, and the lettering across the windshield. Like they used to say back in the disco '70's "burn baby burn..." Hopefully some others will chime in here too.

Tss1203
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks Rick. You mentioned a few areas I hadn't thought of. Let me work with it a little and see what I come up with.

On a different note-this image is one reason why I actually love it when seniors want to do sessions at their homes :)

Missy50
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Here is another option. After taking a painter class, I played around with some images I think this is my favorite. I have a really good image to start with.

Tss1203
06-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Better? I would need to do some clean up of the clean up still, and I might be losing detail in the blacks. Seeing it now I gotta darken down the letters even more. Should I find something else, or will this work?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_2398-Edit-2copy3copy-1-1.jpg

Rick_Massarini
06-20-2012, 06:14 AM
The intake manifold, firewall and the area in the engine bay still look bright to me and pull me away from the face. I'd burn those areas down some more then dodge out the arm and hand holding the welder. Also the Z on WARZ looks really bright to me.

Tss1203
06-21-2012, 02:20 AM
I went back to the beginning with my b&w processing. Who's this? Any other opinions?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_2398-Edit-2copy-2.jpg

Tss1203
06-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Missy, what does the original image of the flower look like?

Missy50
06-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Opps, uploaded the wrong one....

Early morning shot, back lit by the sun. This is pretty much what it looked like after basic editing in levels and a vignette.

Missy50
06-21-2012, 03:23 AM

Here is another w/out mark.

Tss1203
06-22-2012, 01:02 AM
I like the original better than the one with the effect, but that is just my opinion.

Missy50
06-22-2012, 02:58 AM
OK. Thanks. I may have another one of the same plant taken this year. I will have to look.

Kyfoto
06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Amy, the image with the young man and the truck is interesting. It is very busy but it provides the elements to put the guy in his element. The concern I have is that his t-shirt looks dingy all over like it's been toned down. I would love to see him and the torch he is holding pop a little out of all the busyness.

Tss1203
06-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Thank you David. I'll see what I can do to fix that :)

Tss1203
06-30-2012, 04:56 AM
I darkened up several bright areas and lightened him up. How is this looking?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_2398-Edit-2copy-3.jpg

Rick_Massarini
06-30-2012, 05:21 AM
I think that he could be lightened up a little more to make him pop out a little bit more. I'd like to see a little more brightness down the line of the torch so that it becomes more obvious what he's doing and what he's holding.

Tss1203
07-01-2012, 11:59 PM
hmmmm... I'm afraid to make the him too light. Maybe I'll just have to look for something else, but I'm not holding out much hope anymore...

Sarah_Johnston
07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
HI everyone, I have not read thru this whole thread so I am not sure where the conversation has gone. I am so glad to see some new jurors are jumping in to help out tho. I am sure you will find their advise insightful.
Best of luck everyone at IPC!!!

Photor1
07-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry I have not been on here for awhile. I think photographers have so many forums to keep up on, that there is not enough time in the day to get to them all and run a business too. I will try to be here more if you need me. Good luck everyone on Print Competition. I sent in images both to EI and Open. I was just ok with them ... LOL I guess we are the biggest critics of our own images. :}