PDA

View Full Version : How do we "forward" our regional digital images to IPC?

Tracy_McGee
06-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I entered SEPPA digitally, but I haven't received anything back regarding those entries (other than viewing my scores on the final scores list). What is it that I should forward on to IPC? The only thing that I've been told was that the "digital seals" on the images that qualified for a merit can't be broken, but I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks! :)

Rick_Massarini
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by digital seals that can't be broken. Unless PEC has changed something this year, seals can always be broken by the maker if the maker desires. Usually any changes in procedures are covered in the judges refresher course (which was held a couple of weeks ago) and nothing was mentioned about changing the seal rules. Breaking a seal is the vernacular for a maker receiving a seal on an image, but then deciding that they thought that the image might have a better shot at landing in the Loan Collection if they made a change or two to the image. Making a change to the image is referred to as "breaking the seal" since the image is no longer the exact same as what was originally sealed, so now it needs to be judged again for merit at the IPC. This goes on all the time with Masters who are more concerned with getting their images into the Loan Collection than having them hang in the General Exhibit. There are many Masters who have raised their personal bar to where just Merit quality is no longer good enough for them, they strive for the Loan Collection, and to them, just a Merit is not a successful image - so they regularly break seals to try to get their images out of the Merit category and into the Loan. I don't see PPA changing that rule and forbidding breaking seals since that would take the competition out of it for a lot of Masters - so I believe that you may have misread or misinterpreted that line.

If you are NOT a Master, you are striving for Exhibition Merits, so the last thing you want to do is break a seal. If you break a seal, that image is no longer sealed, and it will be submitted to a panel to be judged again for acceptance - so there is a possibility that you might lose your "sure thing" merit if you make a change to the image and have to break the seal to do so. You're better off taking the sure thing for one merit than gambling for the possibility of getting two.

For the IPC, after you have entered the competition, you will be offered the opportunity to upload your images. The sealed images should be marked as being sealed. If you OK the use of these images, the files that are already in the PPA computer under your name will be used. If you have images that did not receive seals at your District, you can either choose to send those images to the IPC, or you can choose to upload new or altered images that you believe may have a better chance of meriting. If you upload new images on top of your sealed images, the seals will be broken and the images are no longer sealed - so they start off at scratch at the IPC where they will be judged for acceptance (merit).

Tracy_McGee
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Rick!

If you are NOT a Master, you are striving for Exhibition Merits, so the last thing you want to do is break a seal.

Sorry, that was what I meant by me being told that I couldn't break the seal. Not that I actually COULDN'T, just that I couldn't if I wanted my sure thing on the 3 that sealed (this was my first year entering print, so I definitely want the 3 sure-thing merits haha). Since I hadn't received any digital files or anything back, I wasn't exactly sure what a digital seal was, or what I would do that would break it.

If you OK the use of these images, the files that are already in the PPA computer under your name will be used.

Super helpful, thanks! I was holding off on registering until I figured out what I was supposed to submit. That's pretty convenient to hear that the images are already there! :) Now to figure out which image to trade out for the image that didn't receive a seal.

Thanks!!! :D