PDA

View Full Version : IPC Album question

Roger_Williams
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
This is the first time I will be submitting an album and the rules state I have to upload a min. number of pages, but not the entire album. While I feel strongly that the album is solid, there are always images that are more powerful than others. Is it better to submit the entire album so the judges can see the entire work or fewer pages that are the strongest, thus the judges know that you have only submitted the best pages?:confused:

Jeff_Dachowski
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Roger,
No it is not better to submit images that would be considered weak. The judges have no idea about what really happened on a particular day. When I tell a wedding story, I stick to simple and classic. I inlcude getting ready, the ceremony, two family shots, bridal party, and couple formal shots. Reception, cake, parent dance etc. I try to start with a super strong image, and end with a super strong image. Keep the album to about 5 images per spread so it does not feel yearbookish.

Now...some have had great success telling just romantic stories...Garber, Munoz, Ghionis all put together amazing albums of just the formals. In that case, the story is just the formals, not the events of the day. I am not that strong of a photog to do that, so my merit wedding albums have all been day of stories.

One last thing...do not submit what you designed for the bride. The bride chooses images that have an emotional connection to them, not the images with the most impact. I would encourage you start from scratch with a design, with only the best files to work with. Color cast issues can easily keep an album out of the merit category.

Jef

Roger_Williams
06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jeff. Actually the album was for a studio sample for me so I choose all the strongest images so I think I am good to go with it the way I put it together. Your comment "I try to start with a super strong image, and end with a super strong image." tells me what I need to do. Like I said, all the images are strong but some are just better than others. The album does start and end very strong so I think I'll go with it as designed. Again, thanks for the input. :)