PDA

View Full Version : Possible Print Comp image-feedback please

Marie_M
05-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Hello,
I would like to consider this image for print comp, but was wondering if:
1. my highlights are too specular on the image?
-or-
2. would the hair not being neat cause this to present badly?
-or-
3. Even though this is not short lit, I believe there are times when broad lighting works with children. Would this be one of those times?
-or-
4. Scrap it!

Are there other things that would prevent it from doing well that I have not mentioned yet? Would really appreciate thoughts on this.

Rick_Massarini
05-23-2012, 02:38 AM
I think that you should look for another image - this one will score in the 73-74 range. It's broad lit, doesn't really tell any kind of story, and there is not enough space in front of the child's face. It's a good, salable image, but not something that would knock the judges socks off in a print competition. Put this image up next to your last shot of Oreo and look at them together.
Regarding the lighting, and does it work - yes, it is broad lit - there is a small edgy shadow behind the left edge of the nose that draws a dark line down the middle of her face - does that shadow pattern actually add to sculpting the face of the child? How would that same portrait look if it were short lit? Try redoing the same image lighting it both ways and see which one you prefer - I'll bet you'll choose the short lit one. Broad Lighting is seldom more attractive than short lighting for a portrait, especially when the face is round as is the case here. If she had a very thin long face, it might be a different story.
Remember the 12 elements - A competition image should exhibit many of these - a Loan Image will exhibit most of them...

The 12 Elements of a Merit Print:
Impact
Technical Excellence
Creativity
Style
Composition
Presentation
Color Balance
Center of Interest
Lighting
Subject Matter
Technique
Story Telling

And remember - of the 12 Elements, the first and the last are the most important - if it has impact and tells a story, it'll do well.

Marie_M
05-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks, Rick. I do have a few other subject choices. It just so happens that I do have a short lit image of this same girl. I'll make sure to go through each element and compare them to the image I choose.
Thanks!