PDA

View Full Version : Entry Questions

jyankey
05-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Hello! I am considering entering this year for the first time. I have read the rules and have gone through the forums but I can't seem to find the answers to a few questions, so I'd appreciate some help :)

First, do I have to enter into the district contest first or is it just suggested?

Secondly, does anyone recommend matting their prints? I am not a big fan of mats myself, but...if thats what is recommended....

Size. I read in the photo rules somewhere 16x20 was the largest size, then I just read that 20x24 was the largest size. I am assuming it's now 20x24? And that is 20x24 for each print, to include any mats.

Rick_Massarini
05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Hello! I am considering entering this year for the first time. I have read the rules and have gone through the forums but I can't seem to find the answers to a few questions, so I'd appreciate some help :)

First, do I have to enter into the district contest first or is it just suggested?
There are no preliminary entry requirements to entering the IPC. Entering your state judging helps you to narrow down your entries and helps you to decide which ones to send furtner. Entering your District judging gives you the opportunity to have your entry "pre-accepted" by earning a "Seal of Approval" at your District Judging. Sealed prints are automatically accepted into the General Collection and are only judged for the Loan Collection when they are sent to the IPC.

Secondly, does anyone recommend matting their prints? I am not a big fan of mats myself, but...if thats what is recommended....
It is your decision as to whether you "mat" the image or submit it "full bleed". Matting is not a requirement, but in many cases, matting an image helps with the presentation - and Presentation is one of the 12 Elements of a Merit Print.

Size. I read in the photo rules somewhere 16x20 was the largest size, then I just read that 20x24 was the largest size. I am assuming it's now 20x24? And that is 20x24 for each print, to include any mats.
The prints size can be anywhere from 80 to 480 square inches with 24" being the longest side - so a 20x24 would be the largest size print that could be entered. In the past, entries were limited to 16x20 as the entry size, with PPA Masters being allowed to submit any size up to 480 square inches. The size requirements have been changed to the same sizes allowed for all entrants.

pphtg123
06-16-2012, 08:30 PM
This is my first time entering the IPC. I enterd the competition and received the notice of my entering via e-mail The one thing that I am not clear on is where do I find the upload page for the digital files?

RonNichols
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Jess,

Rick is correct on the sizes. You can also enter just digital files. I my opinion, the print adds one more variable for potential problems in the process, but whichever way you choose, the system is fair and equal.

I would suggest using some type of mat or digital finishing on the image. When an image comes through without a mat, it looks unfinished to the judges.

RonNichols
06-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Paul,

After you completed the transaction, you should been provided an upload link. Now, if you go to PPA.com, login, then go to My PPA, you'll have an IPC link there to take you to the upload page.