PDA

View Full Version : Need titles, Possible IPC imagaes

brekke_felt
04-28-2012, 02:45 AM
This is my first time posting my work on the PPA forums and I admit, it's a little intimidating, but I have learned more from PPA than anywhere else so I figure I have little to lose.

Our local IPPA is having a Mock Print competition on Monday to get feedback for our possible entries. I have two seals from SWPPA so I need two more good images for IPC submission.

These, at the moment, are my strongest candidates (that don't duplicate the subjects that already have seals.) I have a few more shoots coming up, so these may not be the final choices, but they are possibilities.

First the boxer image. When I suggested to my husband I was thinking "Eye of the Tiger Cub" he laughed out loud. Okay, not my best one, so he suggested "Mama Said Knock You Out". I fear these are way too humorous and won't help me. So I have been kicking around:
"Born to Box"
"Before the Fight"
"Life in the Ring"
If none of these work then suggestions would be appreciated.

The little girl with the little cello "Little Cellist"

Boy with Guitar "Little Boy Blues" or "Little Boy with the Blues"

Balloons "Going 'Up' " (play on the movie "Up")

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Rick_Massarini
04-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Don’t feel intimidated.
When you feel intimidated you go out looking for self confidence…
When you go out looking for self confidence, you go to see the speakers on the $69 seminar tours…
When you go to the $69 seminar tours, the speaker makes you believe that you’re better than you really are…
When you believe you’re better than you really are, you unrealistically triple your prices…
When you triple your prices, your clients go to the real good photographer and pay the same price…
When your clients go to the other photographer, money gets tight…
When money gets tight, you can’t afford to buy groceries…
When you can’t afford to buy groceries, you feed your kids doggy kibble…
Don’t feed your kids doggy kibble.
Get rid of your intimidation and enter your prints in the IPC.

Yeah… been seeing too many Direct TV commercials lately...

Sorry about that - been a long day...
We're all here to help you... You've got some nice images here...
First one - When I see it, I think “Bring it…”
Second one - Straighten up those columns on the right side or it’ll kill you. Little Cellist feels kinda weak for me, it needs something that says something about the environment she’s in - I’m still thinking about a title for this one…
Third one - Don’t think this one will hang since the boy is not engaging either the viewer or the instrument - he’s looking over his shoulder - at what??? The skew look confuses the center of interest and makes you want to look at where he's looking instead of at the boy's face. The lettering on the partial sign is also distracting - unless you can incorporate the idea of trespassing in the title of the image...
Fourth one - How about “Up, Up and Away”
I think that #1, 2, and 4 will hang.

brekke_felt
04-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Ha ha ha! That whole first part went through my head in the voice from the ads.

Honestly, deciding on the images for this mock competition had me pulling out my hair (international is going to kill me I am sure). Titling is really a week spot with me. But I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I would be on cloud nine if I could hang two more.

I like "Bring it". I'm going to stew on that a little more.

I'll work on those columns. It was shot at 24mm on full frame and the original has those columns looking like the building is about to collapse on her. It took a lot of work to get them straight and looking right, but I think I can pull that right side just a little more and make it work. As for the title, I'm just lost. I didn't like "Little Cellist" but it was the only thing that came to my head. This little girl has been playing for a few months. All the members of her family play stringed instruments, even her little sister (who is 3) is learning the violin and mom wanted something of her with the cello. (We'll be doing the violin in another session.) So that's the story, but it's a little long for a title. ;)

The guitar, I'm not hooked on it, so that's okay. I thought it had a little emotion going for it, but I see your point. I have another one with great eye contact I can consider, but I don't see it as a top contender, and since I can only enter two more into IPC, I can let this one fall out of contention.

The balloons, for IPC I will change the mat texture on this one, I'm just not in love with the one I had and am still searching for the one I think will really fit the feel of the image. This shoot was entirely inspired by the movie, I'd love to be able to tie that into the title if I can make it a strong one.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look them over and reply. I really appreciate it.

Linda_Gregory
04-28-2012, 02:22 PM
<grin> Rick, are most of the judges our age? They would get 'Up, up and away' more than reference to a movie made more recently but there are tons younger than us that never heard that song! (feeling VERY old now)

BTW, had to read your cable commercial outloud to the hubs. Quite good!

Mark_Levesque
04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
OMG, Fifth Dimension lyrics reference. Yes, we oldsters totally catch that reference. lol

brekke_felt
04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I am a rare one and I grew up listening to classics and I love Fifth Dimension, so I actually knew the song reference. So most people without kids under 10 might miss the reference to the Disney film you think? I'll keep brianstorming.

Rick_Massarini
04-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Thank God that someone else out there remembered that song besides me.
Most of the jurors are a bit older - maybe not in their 60's, but naturally, a group who are experienced enough to be judges are naturally going to be a bit older.
I'm gonna go back and edit that piece to get rid of the cable reference before Direct TV comes down on me for copyright violation...

Angela_Lawson
04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow Rick - thanks so much for making me feel old this morning. I'm off to open my new studio this morning, but wanted to check in here first. Now I'm feeling my age. LOL

Obviously joking, but now I have that song stuck in my head! Have a great day everyone!

Linda_Gregory
04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
ANGELA! Up, UP and AWAY!!! In your beautiful, your beautiful studi OHHHHH!!!

Alex_Grace
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
First of all: Rick, your fake DirectTV ad, is the funniest thing I've read in weeks!!

Second: I've got a few titles for the first one:

"Float like a butterfly..."
"Who's next?"
"Before the Bell"
"Little Champ"
"The Future Champion"

Just some more possibilities!