PDA

View Full Version : First year, so HELP!

Alex_Grace
04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
This is my first year as a Professional Photographer and a PPA Member, but I'm really interested in entering the competition!

I've attached one of the images I'm thinking about entering, and I was hoping to get some feedback. How do you think this would score, and what can I do to make it better?

Thanks,
Alex

antiuze
05-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Alex... I'm no master. But I would love to hear what other, more qualified members think of your image. First... I really like the concept... a lot. Sure she loved it. But for comp.... I don't know. Fingers on the bottom are cropped. I would like to see the whole jersey number. Obviously her left hand is pointing straight at the camera. That IS the point. But IMO, doesn't this create problems? Foreshortening, and a big 'ol hand out of focus? I hope others will comment more.

Alex_Grace
05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
You make some great points... Back to "Ye Olde" Drawing Board!

Gary_Hughes
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you have another from this sequence where she isn't pointing? It's a strong image and you should definitely get it in front of some judges for critique. Are you a member of a local PPA affiliate? Their competitions are a great way to get personal critiques from qualified judges that will help you pick out a case for the IPC. Best of luck and congrats on your courage and your work. Very nice especially considering it's only been a year!

Rick_Massarini
06-15-2012, 01:36 AM
I held off on posting a comment for a while to give some others a chance to chime in, but since no one else except Bari has commented, here is what I see...
If I were judging this image, I would place it in the Average category. The out of focus hand coming directly towards the camera is distracting. The biggest thing that catches my attention is the mismatch in the direction of light. The light on the subject is coming from the left while the light on the background is coming from the right (indicated by the shadows on the bleachers behind her going towards the left. Is this a dropped in background? If it is, then it could be improved by just flipping the background - if it was actually lit in a gym, then the light should have been directed from the opposite side. The technique applied to the background also appears to be more pronounced on the background than on the subject which gives a feeling of inconsistency of treatment. Hope this helps.