PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette

cpp_upload
04-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Is a silhouette image okay for cpp? I have a shot of a couple on the beach at sunset I posted for critique. Thanks.

Mark_Levesque
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I probably wouldn't use one, as it does not really demonstrate a lot of skill. The general idea behind CPP image submission is to demonstrate an ability to employ your knowledge of photography to produce professional level images on demand. I don't personally feel that a silhouette image, nice as it may be, provides a lot of evidence in that regard. You will be putting forth a stronger submission by providing a set of images that demonstrate control of light, knowledge of lighting patterns, composition and technical correctness, IMO.

Think of it like this. If you are a wedding photographer, and putting together your submission, we don't want to see a bunch of cake and ring photographs. Those are the least demanding kinds of shots a wedding photographer does. If you have one really stellar shot of the rings or the cake, fine. But more than that and it seems like you are trying to skate by with low difficulty images.

As you go through your sessions, looking for images to submit, look for the best technical image created in the entire session. Check every element- exposure, lighting, composition, etc. These may differ from your favorites. Quite honestly, as a CPP, you are expected to be able to pull images from ANY session that would pass an image submission review. We are only asking for one. And you get to select which sessions to include, and which ones to exclude. When you hit your stride as a photographer, virtually any image you show a client will be capable of being included in an image submission.