PDA

View Full Version : Statement of Purpose and File naming?

dorenes
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
A couple last minute image submission questions before uploading...

Does the Statement of Purpose for compulsory images simply need to be the goal, e.g. short lighting image? And even if it happens to be a client file, too?

Is there a specific file name that should be used for each, or just numbers? (Instructions simply say no spaces or punctuation.)

File quality in Photoshop is supposed to be medium quality (5 or 6). Is there a specific quality recommended for output from Lightroom?

Thanks!

Mark_Levesque
04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I would just export them from LR at the recommended size at 80% quality. You don't want to get dinged because there are compression artifacts. I would name them with your PPA#. Put them in a collection first, so you can re-order them prior to exporting. That way you can have your short lighting compulsory be in the right place, etc.

Statement of purpose for the compulsory images is just the skill you are demonstrating: e.g. short lighting or selective focus. For the rest, it's just "wedding image", senior portrait, business portrait, etc.

yoopergal78
04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks Mark- I had some of the same questions even though I've submitted before. One other question though- when I export in LR my only option is to export in ppi not dpi like the instructions say?? My files seem too low of quality after I export them.

Mark_Levesque
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
PPI is the correct measure, but quite honestly, that setting doesn't matter a farthing when you are exporting for web viewing. What does matter is the size in pixels (resize to fit length and width) and the quality level. All of the images are going to be viewed at 100%, in which case the resolution does not matter.

yoopergal78
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
So they never zoom in? Okay- I understand what you are saying. Thanks.

dorenes
04-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks so much, Mark, for the clarification!

KirkDarling
04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Statement of purpose for the compulsory images is just the skill you are demonstrating: e.g. short lighting or selective focus. For the rest, it's just "wedding image", senior portrait, business portrait, etc.

Repeated for emphasis.

It's not the reason you took the picture and definitely not a rationale for anything that's wrong or right or needs explaining about the picture. It's the purpose you're meeting by including it in your submission.