PDA

View Full Version : Competition Seal question

Brian_Allen
04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I sent all my prints to SEPPA digitally and they all merited. Can they be sealed "digitally" and sent on to Nationals? How does that work with digital submissions? This was my first time entering and I need some guidance.
Thanks in advance.

mbalthaser
04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes, they will all be digitally sealed You'll get an email from ppa once registration opens up to forward the images on to IPC

Congrats!!

Brian_Allen
04-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you!

Ed_Sharp
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Congrats on going 4 for 4!

Rick_Massarini
04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Congratulations on sealing all four images. I wouldn't wait for a personal email invitation to forward your images to the IPC. You'll probably get a mass notice of the competition dates and then you'll have to go to the PPA web site and enter the competition. When you go into YOUR IPC entry form, you will find the entries that you entered at the District judging still there. You can then pay your entry fee and choose to submit the same images to the IPC that you entered into your District judging. The images that were sealed at the District judging will be coded as being sealed, so you can then choose to submit them to the IPC. Also, if you feel that you have an image that might stand a better chance of going Loan than one of your sealed entries, you always have the option of "busting" that seal and choose to upload another image - you will probably choose to "take the birds in the hand instead of going for the two in the bush", but I just wanted you to know your options. Just be aware that the images are not automatically forwarded to the IPC unless you do it. If you do not send your images to the IPC, you do not get the merits. Congratulations again !!!

mbalthaser
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Rick - If my memory serves, I got a personalized e-mail. But yes, he could wait till registration opens and do as you suggested as well.

Not sure if it was a mistake, but I did not have to pay an additional entry fee to forward my digital images on to IPC last year, and I even replaced two of them.

Rick_Massarini
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I think you remember incorrectly - IPC is a separate competition from the Districts and requires an additional entry fee. Just because the image sealed at a District doesn't get it a free entry into the IPC. The entry fees paid to enter the District competition goes to the Regional Association that is hosting the judging to pay for the judges expenses - airfares, hotel rooms, meals, etc - PPA collects the fees for the Regional, and keeps a small commission for handling the digital image registration, recording the scoring, and pays for the PPA support staff who have to be there to help run the judging. The fees that are paid to enter the IPC cover part of the costs of conducting the IPC competition and pay the judges costs, airfares, hotel fees, meals, etc. If you did not pay a separate fee to enter the IPC last year, there must have been some kind of mistake in your favor and you came out ahead...

mbalthaser
04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Rick, I can assure you I am 100% positive that I did not have to pay an additional entry fee. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure about was whether or not it was a personal email or mass email that told me to go to my account on the website.

I assure you, I paid no additional entry fee and remember being surprised. The only additional fee I paid was $35 or so for the critique.

mbalthaser
04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
And the same happened for another friend that submitted digitally as well. I remember it specifically b/c we were both fully expecting to pay a fee again, and were surprised when we didn't have to.

So maybe it was a glitch in the system, a mistake, I don't know? But it zeroed out my entry fee to IPC last year.

Rick_Massarini
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
And the same happened for another friend that submitted digitally as well. I remember it specifically b/c we were both fully expecting to pay a fee again, and were surprised when we didn't have to.

So maybe it was a glitch in the system, a mistake, I don't know? But it zeroed out my entry fee to IPC last year.

You got lucky - I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen this year... and i wouldn't want others to think that the entry for the IPC is free if you previously entered a District judging.

mbalthaser
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, I feel badly now if that's the case - but honestly, I wasn't the only one. I remember submitting through the online system and it zeroing out the entry fee. I then paid the additional amount for the online critiques, and that is all I was charged. I kind of assumed that's just how it worked.

Rick_Massarini
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Nope. PPA goes in the hole every year for the IPC. It costs more to run the judging than it collects in entry fees. By the time you add up all the costs of flying in about 50-60 judges and jury chairmen and covering their hotel rooms, meals, etc for a full week - plus transporting all the equipment and the additional cost of the support staff - it costs a bunch of money to put it on - more than they collect in entry fees. It's been the same for many years - PPA loses money on the judging, but it is a vital part of what PPA is, so the association pays part of the expenses to run the judging out of it's operating budget every year. That's why they have to charge an entry fee - to cover some of those expenses.

Ed_Sharp
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
You got lucky - I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen this year... and i wouldn't want others to think that the entry for the IPC is free if you previously entered a District judging.

I sealed 2 images entered digitally but did have to pay the entry fee for IPC. As you say, it must have been a glitch in the system.

mbalthaser
04-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Interesting, Ed. Well, I guess there must have been something off the day I registered. I know my friend and I registered within minutes of one another so I suspect the error was recognized shortly after we entered.

Rick - I certainly can understand the need for the fees. I just assumed that somehow the fee from districts supported the IPC since that amount got zeroed out on my invoice. I'm glad this discussion came up, b/c I wouldn't have known otherwise. So thank you for your continued contributions to this board. I'm so glad to have found it, it's been incredibly helpful!

Rick_Massarini
04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
The reason why I originally got involved with this forum is because a friend called me and told me that there was erroneous information about the (then) National Judging being posted here as fact. Since I've worked at the Judging for each of the last 17 years, I feel a little bit of "ownership" for it, and want to make sure that nothing incorrect is posted about it and how it works. Many people think that PPA makes a ton of money on the judging, but it really doesn't. In fact, a lot of the work is done by volunteers who come to the judging and work all week at their own expense to make it a success. I just have a good background on how it all works because I've been there so many times.

mbalthaser
04-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Well, it's good to have you here, and know we are getting accurate information!

Thanks again for your contributions.

Tracy_McGee
04-03-2012, 01:34 AM
So if the ones submitted digitally to SEPPA that merited "seal digitally," does that mean that we don't get anything tangible to show for it? No corners, no ribbons, nothing?

Sarah_Johnston
04-03-2012, 02:11 AM
From things I have heard Tracy, you are correct. You may want to try and contact the Salon Chair and see if they will send you them. This is still new for Districts and I am not sure how much they have thought about ribbons for the digital images. No promises, but it may be worth the try if you want them.

As far as sealed digital images. I believe you will not re-upload them but you will pay your case fee. You MUST go thru the registration process in order for them to recieve the Merit and be considered for Loan.

Rick thanks for sharing all your info here! Much Appreciated!!

Brian_Allen
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful knowledge. I appreciate it. I dont think I will risk it and just send all of them on. I received a 93 for one of them so I hope it goes Loan. Thanks again.

Rick_Massarini
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
... I dont think I will risk it and just send all of them on. I received a 93 for one of them so I hope it goes Loan. Thanks again.

If it scored a 93 at District, you'll probably have a pretty good shot at a Loan - but it's not a sure thing - Loan is all about Impact - I know someone who got a 100 at a District judging and the print did NOT go Loan...

Tracy_McGee
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Sarah! I e-mailed Jessica Vogel yesterday morning, but I'm sure she is up to her ears in to-do stuff and from wrapping up after SEPPA. I hadn't thought about not getting real ribbons. And actually, I hadn't really thought I'd even qualify for one since this was my first time entering. I ended up getting 3 out of 4, so I was really excited about those ribbons until it crossed my mind that I might not GET ribbons for digitally submitted entries, now I'm all disappointed LOL!

Erin_L._Clark
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Since we all pay the same case fee- I don't see why they wouldn't give you a ribbon if you wanted them?! It should be automatic- heck, make it an option when you pay to pay for the shipping of ribbons... JMHO.

Tracy_McGee
04-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I did offer to pay the shipping to have them sent to me if it would be possible to get them. Who knows if I'll ever get another one, so I sure hope I can get these LOL!

Sarah_Johnston
04-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Tracy- First competition and you went 3 of 4! That is sooooo awesome! Make sure you register for Nationals (IPC) so you get your Merits!!!! I am soooo happy for you!

Tracy_McGee
04-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks! :) Okay, so I received a response....
The corners are on your digital print files. It's not a paper corner but a digital corner. We don't do ribbons at seppa. You can call ppa and see if they will send you the image with the corner on it. So I guess SEPPA doesn't do ribbons anyway. Shows how much (or little) I know haha!

Rick_Massarini
04-06-2012, 07:30 PM
If it makes you feel better, they don't do ribbons at SWPPA either. All the prints that receive Seals of Approval have gold exhibition corners placed on them.

If you are a member of ASP, any PRINT that receives a score of 80 or above receives a black and gold ASP Distinguished Print ribbon.

lemaurer
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
This would be great information to include in the IPC Rules, or somewhere on the website's Competition Pages. I had the same question about submitting digital images that merited in my District Competition. Thanks.