PDA

View Full Version : SEPPA Judging Question

erinclemmer
04-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Hello, this is my first time ever posting anything to a message board so I hope I am doing this correctly. I submitted images for the MA category at SEPPA and went to view the judging. 3 of my images received 78, and 1 a 77. Because there was no disagreement there was no discussion among the judges so I am not certain as to what about each submission was keeping it from scoring 80 or higher. Is it alright, or would it be bad form, to contact the judges via email, introduce myself and ask the to give me feedback? There were literally only a handful of people watching the judging so I feel that if I tell them I was there watching and want to learn how to improve my work that they would be happy to give me some guidance. Am I right or should I try to get help another way.

Rick_Massarini
04-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Instead of using email, why don't you try to catch one of the judges in the print exhibit area after they hang the prints and ask them to help you by giving you a critique on your prints?

erinclemmer
04-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I am not there today. I only attended a couple of days to watch the judging. This my first competition and I really want to know what to do to improve the images.

erinclemmer
04-01-2012, 03:12 PM
As I mentioned earlier, my prints received 78s (3 of them) and a 77. What scores will hang? I am about 2 hours drive away, so technically I could go tomorrow to see what is hanging and perhaps find a judge. Do images that score 78 or so typically get reworked or do people often just send them on to IPC as is. In my case I have no clue what is keeping them from a merit at this point so I still want to talk to the judges. Help!

Mark_Turner
04-01-2012, 04:37 PM
You will have no problem finding a judge to talk to you if you come. They are hanging now, and will be up through tomorrow's trade show hours.

erinclemmer
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
So they hang the 78s? I still don't know.

Sarah_Johnston
04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
If they are putting up the show there they will hang at least 75 and up. Usually 70 and up. This will give you the opportunity to talk with judges or even look for Master Photographers. They will have the yellow ribbon and medal around their neck. The other option is to post them here asking for critique. Lastly- you are welcome to send them to me and I will be happy to help where I can. I am judging at IPC but the odds of yours coming through a panel I am on are slim. sljphoto@hotmail.com
Good luck however you choose to proceed

erinclemmer
04-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks Sarah, I will be driving down to Athens tomorrow to find my images and see how much I can learn from talking to judges, other photographers, anyone with experience who wants to help me out. I will take you up on the offer for a critique. THank you so much for the offer. I will email you the images at full size 1 per email if that is all right.

Sarah_Johnston
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
That's great!

Derek_Hill
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Erin,
If you happen to see the scores for an image by Derek Hill you can shoot those to me :-)
Good luck finding a judge to talk too!

Sarah_Johnston
04-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Derek- Scores are posted. There was a thread started with the link.

Erin- I have sent you emails for each image. I think with a little work all 4 may just go. Now keep in mind that that is just my opinion. Nice work!

Tracy_McGee
04-03-2012, 02:06 AM
This was my first year entering and out of curiosity, which print competitions do they video tape? I know back when I started considering entering print competitions I was pointed towards videos of previous print competitions, but I never had a chance to sit down and watch them and I have no clue where they came from. I'd be interested to watch SEPPA if they did record it.

Sarah_Johnston
04-03-2012, 02:16 AM
I think that is up to the group holding it. Wisconsin has in the past used a projector and big screens in the judging room for viewers to get a closer look, but it was not recorded. You can get a video critique of your image from Nationals (IPC) Other than that I have no idea. IPC does NOT get recorded. Everyone is welcome to come to IPC to watch or volunteer to work print crew. It really is "The Big Show"