PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Clarification

RBrogen
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between Loan and Showcase book?

Thanks

Rick_Massarini
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
It the IPC, all images that are accepted for exhibition receive one exhibition merit and are then judged for inclusion in the Loan Collection which is considered the Best of the Best. If an image is accepted for the Loan Collection, the maker receives an additional exhibition merit (total of 2 for the image) and the print is retained by PPA for use in it's various exhibitions, and it is published in the Loan Collection book.

For the Showcase book, each juror at the IPC is given a specific number of "chips" (the number is based on the number of images intended to go into the Showcase book divided by the number of jurors at the IPC), which the juror turns in for his/her selections for the Showcase Album. The way an image usually makes it into the Showcase book is that one juror falls in love with the image and truly believes that it should go into the Loan Collection, but was unsuccessful in convincing their fellow jurors that it should be a Loan image. The juror then turns in one of his "chips" and requests that the image be placed into the Showcase Album. Once his/her chips are gone, he can make no more Showcase Album selections. Since each juror is only given a few chips (last year it was only 6 chips each), it is a pretty big honor for an image to be selected for the Showcase Album. While you do not receive an additional merit for the Showcase selection, you do get your image featured in the Showcase Album as a full page image - plus, you have the knowledge that one of those jurors thought so highly of your image that he or she fought for it to go Loan, and eventually gave up one of their few selections to place your image into the Showcase Album. It's quite a complement when you think about it - that out of the thousands of images in the exhibition, that one of the jurors felt so strongly about your image that he made it one of his 5 or 6 Showcase selections...

RBrogen
03-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Awesome explanation Rick...thank you. Perhaps PPA will put this description on the page that list the levels but currently has no description.

Rick_Massarini
03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
We have a PEC member who frequents this forum and keeps abreast of things going on here, the members needs and desires, and whatever needs clarification - so I'm sure that your request will reach the PEC - if it doesn't, I'll bring it up to one of the members the next time I talk with one of them - And I'm certain that they can come up with much better wording than what I used to explain it.

RBrogen
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks Rick :)

belladreams
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Thank you so much Rick for the great explanation! I entered competition for the first time last year and when the results came out, two images merited (one scored from district) and one of them was selected for the Showcase book. I had no idea what it meant or how it happened. I was honored, but now I feel even more honored after reading your explanation. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-22-2012, 01:55 AM
I've always wondered who allocated one of their chips to one of my images last year. I'd love to personally thank them :)

belladreams
03-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Christine, I would love to know that as well and say thank you!

cat_broderick
03-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Its kind of like Judges Choice at the state level, right?