PDA

View Full Version : New to Competition

Julie_Seagreaves
03-05-2012, 11:49 PM
HI everyone!
This is my first attempt at a competition and I would love some feedback on 2 of my images. Not sure of the titles either. I was thinking "Little Blessing" for the little girl and possibly "Soulful Stare" for the dog image.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Julie

mbalthaser
03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi Julie! Congrats on getting ready to start competition - it's a lot of fun!

I hope this doesn't come across harsh, but I want to be honest and try to help you. I don't think that the image on the left would be well suited for competition. It looks more like a snapshot to me.

I'm not much of an animal person, so I don't tend to study many images on the subject, but the one you posted here looks a little soft - especially in the eyes. I had some problems with my images looking soft on upload here as well - so you'll have to check the original file to know for sure.

I hope that helps!

Julie_Seagreaves
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Ouch! I guess this is the way I learn!! I really do appreciate any feedback...it's all part of the process. Thanks Melissa. :)

mbalthaser
03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh, I really hope I wasn't too harsh, Julie! I am quite new to this myself - only entering competition for the second time this year. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

Don't be discouraged, and best of luck to you!

Rick_Massarini
03-08-2012, 03:08 AM
I have to agree with Melissa - the first image has too much of a snapshot look for a competition image. The lighting is relatively flat, the composition is dead center, the background items are tilted and there is a distracting hot spot in the lower left hand corner. I believe that this image, as presented, would fall in the Average category. Recropping the image could possibly raise the image in to the Above Average category.
The image of the dog looks like it is distorted from using too short a focal length lens. The end of the nose looks too large for the rest of the face and the lens is visually reducing the size of the dog's body making the dog's head look too large for the body. I believe that this too will fall in the Average category.

Julie_Seagreaves
03-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you both for your comments! I am learning so much already. I am happy to get any feedback so I can improve.