PDA

View Full Version : Digital Submission Resolution Question

Stephanie_Millner
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok, so Northeast says you can't submit more than 3.5MB when the specs are 4000px long at 200ppi, image quality 10. Which was fine for two of my prints.

But the other two are so heavily detailed, that even when I'm at those exact specs, they're still 4.5 and 6.7MB respectively. So... how do I fix the file size? Should I lower the pixel dimension, the ppi, or the image quality? Or not worry about the file size?

Will it affect the image quality too much? Confuzzled.

Fuzzy_Duenkel
03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I submitted files that ended up 6megs... As you said. No problem. I think it said the files "should" not exceed 3.5 Meg. It didn't say "MUST" not exceed 3.5 Meg.

Vance_Wagener
03-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Dumb question?

If a monitor can only see 72-92 dpi why are submissions required to be 200ppi? What am I missing?

Fuzzy_Duenkel
03-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I wonder why they stipulate resolution. It has nothing to do with the size of the file.

Rick_Massarini
03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Originally, when they came out with the digital judging parameters, they allowed the image to be zoomed in on request of the jurors. I guess they felt that the zooming feature would be a convenience factor similar to the judges having to get up and smell the print to get a closer look. With zooming, they could see the detail on the monitor without having to get out of their seat to get closer. Zooming in has gone away so they can only view the image as it is presented on the monitor - if they want to see the image closer, they have to get up and smell the monitor. That zooming in factor was probably the reason for the resolution stipulation.

Stephanie_Millner
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks Fuzzy. I, too, will send in larger files, then.

Mark_Levesque
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I wonder why they stipulate resolution.

I would think it is driven by the needs for the Loan Collection and Showcase books.