PDA

View Full Version : How does paper affect score?

kristannev
03-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Do you have to print your comp images on glossy? I am not a fan of glossy. Will it effect the scoring?

Thanks!

Fuzzy_Duenkel
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Glossy was always better in the film days. Is it still available? Are you talking about metallic paper?

kristannev
03-02-2012, 06:08 PM
No, just the standard high gloss paper. WHCC prints there comp prints on high gloss paper. I wanted to print at my local lab that I love but they do not do gloss.

Linda_Gregory
03-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes, glossy makes a difference. They do not have the same viewing situation you do and the gloss makes it all pop and look clearer. It used to be, if you didn't print on glossy, you had it high gloss spray coated. Some went to a laminate but when the lights shine on the majority of it, it has a color cast. Trust a lab that does competition.

kristannev
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Thank Linda!

Mark_Turner
03-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I used e-surface and a laminate. If your lab does a hot process laminate it will be fine. If not, the glue will cause a cast.

GregYager
03-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Definitely go with the F surface glossy. If your lab doesn't offer it, ask. Many labs have it but it's not on their "menus".

Rick_Massarini
03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Most images do better on F surface. The gloss surface will make the colors "pop". E surface will dull the colors down a bit - matt finish will kill it unless it is some kind of soft watercolor with muted colors and you're going for a soft muted look.

kristannev
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Thank you guys! I would hate for my images not to merit based on my poor paper choice. I really appreciate you all helping me out!

Rick_Massarini
03-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Also - watch out for lamination - I had a 2 images a couple of years ago fail to receive Seals at my District competition because they had picked up a grey cast from the laminate. I reprinted them on F paper unlaminated and they were both accepted at the IPC.

kristannev
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tip :)

Mark_Turner
03-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I just boxed my laminated prints up. They look fantastic. Don't count out laminate because of one experience. Like I said, the hot process will melt the glue and be clear, while the cold process will leave a milky unmelted glue.

If your lab does F-surface then use that with a spray, but if they do not (mine does not do F-surface) then don't be afraid of a good laminate. H&H has a lot of 90-100 scores to their credit with laminate.

kristannev
03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Mark!

I am not sure what I would do without you guys. Now I just need to get over my over analyzing and send them to the lab ;)

Mark_Turner
03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Trust your lab. Sometimes it comes down to that. My lab told me what they had done in the past, and since I trust them, I went with it. I also know that they have someone that inspects competition prints before they go out. All labs should do that.

kristannev
03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Mark, I did just that. I emailed my lab and they do use F surface paper and they black out the edges. I trust they know better than me so I sent it to them and now I just hold my breath til judging ;)

Good luck on your competition. I LOVE your violin image :)