PDA

View Full Version : Step by step instructions please

Billiegail
06-28-2006, 02:57 AM
I took two photography classes at my local community college and I have done some glamor shots for some people I know, but I love to work with black and white photography and landscape photos. I want to become certified, but I am clueless as to how to start this process and complete it. Would one of you take me step by step through the process? I live in Texas if that will help you.
God bless and thanks.
BillieGail

George_Hawkins
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Call PPA's Certification office.
1. an application 2. exam 3. print submision.

There's also much info on ppa.com, members section.

There's also a thread of people studying together.

Go for it! George

D._Craig_Flory
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Billie';

Are you a member of PPA ? How long has your studio been in business ?

If you do belong to Professional Photographers of America, the first step is to get the recommended study book:
Photography (8th Edition) (Paperback) by Barbara London, John Upton

The web site for certification http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

There is an application you can download. As you will read, it is $100.00 for a PPA Member and $500.00 for a non-member. Once you sign up you will have so much time to pass the written exam and have all of your images approved.

Certification is in two parts. There is a written exam, given by approved PPA C.P.P. Liaisons. I'm the Liaison for Pennsylvania. Check who is the Liaison for your state. Also, check how often they give the exam, when the next several will be given, and where they are given.

The 2nd part is submitting 20 images of your work. You can either give 20 8x10's, OR a DVD with 20 8x10 images on it. They should reflect your best work. Also, they want to see a cross section of what you do i.e. ... if you do 30% kids portraits ... you should show 6 8X10s' of children. If you do 30% weddings ... show 6 8X10's of wedding images. If you do the other 40% of family portraits ... show 8 8x10's of family portraits.

Please e-mail me if you have any other questions or just want some insight from me. Good luck;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liaison, ASP

floryphotog@mindspring.com

Ron_Zhiss
06-28-2006, 04:39 PM
The steps that the people studying for the CPP are taking for their exam are outlined in this thread here. (http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19440#post19440)

Kindest Regards,

Ron

David_Mithofer
06-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Step one: Get the informaiton packet. If you will e-mail me your address at dmithofer@ppa.com I will be happy to send you the complete info packet. It will include the application for certification, the study guide for the exam, and the image submission paperwork.

Step Two: Apply for Certification. The fee is $100 for members of PPA or SEP, $500 for non-members.

Step Three: Take the exam. You may do this at any Texas PP convention. They have three each year. The Second one has just passed, but there will be one more in the Fall. This will give you a little time to study. If that convention doesn' work for you we will be holding Imaging USA in San Antonio next January.

Step Four: Submit twenty images for review. You may do this for the July 28th Review or wait for the October review. It is at your convenience.

Once you have passed the exam and the image review we will send you the logo for your marketing, a certificate with your new designation, and some other materials for your use.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
David Mithofer
Manager, Member Services
Certification

KirkDarling
07-01-2006, 03:28 PM
David, how long is the average wait after the image review deadline before one gets word of the results?

David_Mithofer
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Kirk,

The wait is usually two weeks. This past review was postponed as one of the judges had to cancel at the last minute. Unfortunately, our good candidates were forced to sit on pins and needles for a month before they got the results. Our sincere apologies to anyone who had to wait.

Regards,
David Mithofer

KirkDarling
07-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Kirk,

The wait is usually two weeks. This past review was postponed as one of the judges had to cancel at the last minute. Unfortunately, our good candidates were forced to sit on pins and needles for a month before they got the results. Our sincere apologies to anyone who had to wait.

Regards,
David Mithofer

Thanks, David.