PDA

View Full Version : The other 9 images

Glenn_Lesnick
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
If our specialty is portraiture should all 9 others be of portraits? How far can/should we stretch the limits? Would more creative shots of specific features be acceptable? Would other areas of photography?

What ideally would they like to see?

Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Stick with your specialty and send in images that represent the percentages of work you do in that area. If your specialty is portraits and weddings, 50/50, I'd stick with showing 50% portraits, 50% wedding. If you're a commercial photographer, stick with commercial images. I know someone who sent a mixture of portrait, commercial and landscape images in for their CPP review and it did not pass.

GregYager
02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Glenn,
Stretch nothing. If you only sell portraits then only submit portraits. Keep it as simple as you can and pay close attention to detail.

A few pointers...

Don't blow out any highlights...period. Clients may like the look but that's not the purpose of this review.

Maintain detail in your shadows....blocked up shadows can kill you.

Don't tilt your horizon line...it rarely if ever works.

Don't over crop....leave room for children to grow(easy way to remember it)

Stick with basic editing. Avoid using every preset Lightroom has to offer.

Make sure your subjects are separated from the background and don't blend.

Stay in key. Mixed key images are easy to turn down.

Keep your statement of purpose short. Very short. Don't use this as an opportunity to explain why you shot it the way you did. If it requires explanation, pick another image.

Hope this helps.

Avery_Munger
02-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Just curious... when the "commercial" term is use as it relates to CPP... to what area of commercial are "they" referring to? Any commercial image/shoot? For example, I consider a model shoot for an ad campaign a commercial shoot. However, I would also consider a product, architectural, etc. shoot (for a client) a commercial shoot as well. Would it be wise to submit, say, 3 from each segment (to total 9) or to just stick with all 9 being of the one area I feel strongest in (i.e. all model shots, or all product shots, etc.)?

Thoughts?

GregYager
02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
I would do the mix of three.

Michael_Gan
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
If commercial work, I would suggest against "travel" images like landscapes and famous sites. It just looks like you've run out of client images to submit. I've said this before, don't purger yourself by saying something like "this client sent me to Italy to photograph the Coliseum. Capisce?

For models, try to do directional light samples, not necessarily 3:1. Don't try to mimic the "One Model" site look. All those are wannabe fashion photographers. If you look at the actual fashion magazines, you'll notice that most of the images are directional! I learned that years ago apprenticing for a magazine fashion photographer.