PDA

View Full Version : A possibility for District?

Marie_M
02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
My title is "Fall Morning"
Would love to know if this image has potential in the District comp...

Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
02-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the image has a strange look - At first it looked like I was looking over the edge of the waterfall, but the water flow direction tells me that I'm looking upstream. The foreground looks higher than the midground.. The water in the front feels like it's coming upwards towards the viewer - I'm experiencing a strange visual effect... maybe because I'm looking downward towards a waterfall - usually you're looking upwards towards waterfalls..

Marie_M
02-11-2012, 02:31 AM
You are right, Rick. I was shooting from a cliff..on a tripod..camera pointed down to add a bit of distortion to the foreground. The background is closer to my level.

Rick_Massarini
02-11-2012, 02:40 AM
I know that I always say try to give the judges something that they've never seen before to get them to stop momentarily and figure out what they're seeing, but the optical issues may work against you - if they spend too much time trying to figure out what they're seeing they may just miss the whole image... A waterfall should be a relaxing image instead of a mental exercise so it might not do as well at District as you might hope - try cropping it a bit and see if it helps.... Just my opinion...

Stephanie_Millner
02-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Or you could name it something so the optical illusion works for you. Like "The Tipping Point" (because the water is falling, and it feels like you are too, and it's a popular book about making successful decisions... a decision to say 80 vs. 79 perhaps? Ok... the last one's a stretch.) Anyway, I like it. Really pretty!

Marie_M
02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Thank you, Steff, mind if I use that title?

I've got another composition that I'll attach. I love the background of my first composition, but I love the water and the addition of the back eddy in the second one. Try as I might, I was unable to get both into the same frame.

Mark_Turner
02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
There's an odd cool tint to this image, like the water is not the right color. Is that just me?

Marie_M
02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
There is certainly a coolness to the water..something I can fix. Aside from the color temp of the water...which composition do you think is best? I'm ok if your answer is "none of the above".;)