PDA

View Full Version : 2 Possible Prints - hedgie & junk shop

Stephanie_Millner
02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Ok, I'm strongly considering these two... but the junk shop is VERY different than anything I've ever entered before. What do you think? I know it will depend heavily on a title.

Unfortunately, I have to enter digitally this year. My post service has been shut down, and it's not worth the extra hassle of getting my prints here, checking them, and mailing them back. So - I need something that will stand digitally. I'm not pleased with this decision - I think that the junk shop would be kick-butt on metallic, but... c'est la vie.

Anyway, Title for the hedgie is: "Prickly Pair"

Title for the junk shop is either "Lucky Little Finds" or "Made in Hong Kong." Need input there. Also - does it seem like it lacks a true focal point?

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/prickly_pair.JPG

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/lucky_find.JPG

Tss1203
02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
seriously, how could anybody NOT love prickly pair?

I love how the depth in his/her quills.

J_Davidson
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I like your title for the hedgie a lot.

As for the junk shop there's no place for the eye to rest, with no defined focal point. I think it would maybe score in the 75 - 78 range because of this.

kristannev
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Okay, no promises I know what I am talking about since I have only done this a year now. But here it goes:

#1 The title is perfection. Tack sharp. I think the impact there at least it was for me. An overall fun, creative image.

#2 I agree there is really no clear focal point. I really want the focal point to be that Buddha but my eyes just want to wander everywhere.

John_Metcalfe
02-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Select last night... Ha!

Well Steph here we go... Your first image though interesting is lacking but I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. Ha! Maybe it is the composition or the angle of the shot or the 2 subject matters are fighting for my attention. Currently the pin cushion is winning and now that I think about it, that is what's bothering me more than anything. Maybe try flipping the image and take a look. Also on reflection I really want to see more from your prickly little friend. An eye would be nice. It would give me more of a reason to stay on that side. :)

Image 2 is over worked for taste. When I can see pencil sharpening, Lucis Art or something of the like, most times I am through with the image. Just back it off and see what you think. Next, try to create more of a focal point. Shadowing and/or selective focus could help you there.

Always nice to see what you have cooking!

Stephanie_Millner
02-05-2012, 05:00 PM
John! You've re-appeared! :) No expert - psh.

Thanks, Dear. That's what I was looking for. I feel like there's definitely something in that shop one, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I took down the midtones and selectively highlighted out the key points in a C-curve starting with the white cat, going to the dragons, the masks, to the Buddha - which HOPEFULLY is now a more defined focal point.

There are more hedgie ones on FB - but I think this is the best one. Sfortunamente, he was quilling the day of his shoot, so he wouldn't show his eyes much for me. It's very painful for them. Like puberty for erinaceinae.

IM me, if you have time.

And thank you to Kristin & Jill for the comments too.

http://www.stephaniemillner.net/blogimages/lucky_little_finds_2.JPG

Jeff_Dachowski
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Steff, cant shake the feeling that hedgue is a composite. Love the concept, but fear that another judge will feel that way too.
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
02-05-2012, 08:15 PM
It's 100% not a composite. Any way to fix that?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
It's 100% not a composite. Any way to fix that? Maybe remove the grey tips on the front of the the hedge hog?

Stephanie_Millner
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
his quills?

Marie_M
02-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in, which really means less than a penny since I'm not even half as good as you all are.
Steff, would a good title that explains what you want the judges to see work at overcoming whatever it was that you were trying to overcome? Yes, my eyes do go straight to the pin cushion first. How about "Law of Reflection" as a title? Or something similar where it encompasses both things as one subject. I dunno, just a thought.

On the second image, I knew right off that the budda was the anchor for the shot, but I wish it would have been larger in the frame...if that was possible. Using a piece of paper, I cut off about an inch of the bottom, right directly above the greenish metal looking tin, and to me, it looked like a stronger composition.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
his quills?

Steff,
There are about 14 tips of his quills that at this rez, looks like an artificial sharpening artifact. Consider cloning out just the tips. Not the whole stem.
I think that is what is making it feel like a composite.
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
thanks, I'll check it out. This is an uploaded screen capture, so i think it might be compression issues here. I posted some on FB - would you mind checking them out if you have time?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Steff,
I see it on FB as well.

Vance_Wagener
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Stephanie,

I have no opinion on the photo's but on the titles; when you said Junk Shop for the second one it was not what I expected. When I saw it I immediately thought Souvenirs.

Hope it helps

Stephanie_Millner
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
That wasn't the title, Vance. It was just, literally, a shop full o' junk. Still working on titles.

Rick_Massarini
02-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Steff,
I like the Hedgehog - I like the concept, and the name - I think it's a sure thing.
On the Junk shop, I know that there is no real strong central point of interest to the image, but this is one of those images that can go either way depending on the mindset of the panel. There was an image entered in PPLA last year that was a shot of a Chinese marketplace - it had no real central point of interest either, but it took all the awards since the judges thought it was an overall intriguing image.

Stephanie_Millner
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks Rick. Holly had another cute title for it too, so I have to think it over.
That's what I was thinking about the junk shop. I REAAAAALLLLY want to enter prints, because I think this, with all the texture that shows up, would be really stunning on Metallic. I just don't think I have the time to get prints done. Even if I ordered right this second. (I don't think I can trust my mom to pack a print case for me, unfortunately.)
I've never entered anything like this before, and I'm hoping it will merit as a pictorial. I've redone it a bit to make the Buddha the center of interest. Was considering the title "Lucky Little Finds" because I'm hoping it will make the judges stare at it a little longer to pick out other lucky charms (like the horse-shoe, the Chinese wavy cat, the dragons, etc.) There's really a lot hidden inside it.

Angela_Lawson
02-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Steff - Would it help if I offered to pack and ship them for you? I use BayPhoto too, so they could ship the prints to me, and I could ship them for you? I don't have an extra print case, but I could pack them really well and ship them in a cardboard box for you. Or if your mom has your print case, she could ship it to me while I'm waiting to get your prints. I'd be happy to do it for you if you'd like.

Stephanie_Millner
02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Aww, that's so sweet! The problem is, I need them to go in a print case or they can't go to Nat'ls. Others have offered - I just don't feel right making yet another person take on the responsibility of print comp. Particularly when i have the option of digital entry. (I'm totally ok with making Liz do it, for the record.)

Joe_Galioto
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
steff
i kind of wish you hadn't crop the hedgehog and that we could see his whole body.
i like the junk shop image, not sure how it would do in comp

Stephanie_Millner
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
You can see the whole body - the image is just a little big for the forum. Right click and view in a new window.
Yeah, the Junk Shop worries me too, but I have enough merits for M.Photog... so let's see what happens, I guess!

Joe_Galioto
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
steff
oh yeah, there it is

Joe_Galioto
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
steff
oh yeah, there it is

gailcarver
02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I LOVE the hedgehog. Not that my opinion is worth much, just thought I would tell you! The concept is awesome!