PDA

View Full Version : Hard CC - No Western States Judges - NSFW

J_Davidson
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Ok. Lemme have it. I'm ordering these babies tomorrow, and I want a second look over.

I need a title for the male. Suggestions are welcome.

Michael_Gan
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Jill, nice images. Make sure you have good detail in the shadow areas in all your images. It's hard to tell from here because it looks like your shadow areas are blocked. Look at these images under hard lights to make sure that those details show.

J_Davidson
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Michael!

I was worried about blocking on The Mill, but everything seems to be okay on it on my monitor. Its tough when they resize and compress for web. Things go funky.

Maybe I should run a set of test prints.....

Rick_Massarini
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Jill,
The second one looks soft around the edges on my monitor - especially in the lower right corner - is it?
If it is, I'd sharpen it up a bit - with a hard subject like that, soft edges might not help it.

J_Davidson
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Rick,

There is some fall off in the corners of sharpness, the edges of the metal themselves are all a bit soft due to the hoare frost on them.

I'll see what I can do about recovering some of the far edges. They are pretty soft due to DOF though.

J_Davidson
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I really need title help with nude dude above. Any suggestions welcome!

kristannev
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a hard time titling my own images but...

"Strength Illuminated"?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Jill,
the boat is a for sure for me( seeing it as a small file)

The dude lacks some design interest. Maybe his leg needed to be pushed out more or something. It is very straight up and down, and lacks the impact it could have. The razor blased are a great concept, and love the tonality. It will probably not score where you want it to because of the sharpness of the blades. Razors should be sharp, never fuzzy..In fact we use the razor as a pseudonym for sharp. The mill might work better flipped, but the thing for me is the water either needs to have that creamy look, or be totally stopped. In this case you are in between, and it is a main focal point of the image. Do you have anything else you are working on? I know you want 4 for sures....I only see 1 that could be a for sure imho.
Jeff

J_Davidson
02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks Kristin

Jeff,

I was afraid to pop his leg up too much for fear of making him feminine....I am shooting him again, so I'll retry this one.

Those aren't razors, they are concrete clips covered in hoare frost. The edges are fuzzy from the frost.

I'm afraid to flip the mill because of how recognizeable the location is, and many people know it.

I have one more I'm working on but in no way shape or form will it be ready for Western States. It's still in post and requires several more hours of post on it to be ready.

These 4 images as they sit are what I've ordered from my case, so I'm married to them for now. At this point, I mainly need a title for nude dude, and I'll reevaluate after district scoring for replacemnts.

Fuzzy_Duenkel
02-09-2012, 05:54 AM
LOVE the boats!!!

The mill may be too much of a common subject. I wonder if any judges would like to see some more movement in the water... with a neutral density filter or something. Cliche, I know, but they might wanna see it that way.

Rick_Massarini
02-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Male Torso - looks like you've got some shadows that have gone totally black - I know that was probably your intention, but that may hold it back.
Cold Hard Steel, I still don't like the fuzzy edges - soft edges on hard steel just doesn't seem to work for me.
Docked - I like it, and think it will do well
The Mill - I agree with Fuzzy's comment - the "frozen in place" water in the mill photo will not help the score. It might do better if a longer exposure had been used so that the water could have smoothed out a bit...

J_Davidson
02-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Nude Dude - In print the shadows aren't totally black, web compression is causing it on upload I think.

Cold Hard Steel - Rolling the dice on this one...we'll see what happens. Comments are heard and understood.

Docked - I have high hopes for this one.

The Mill - I know its a horribly common subject, and its generally always seen with the cotton candy water, I wanted to do something a little different than the norm. I shot it at the complete wrong time of day to get the cotton candy water. Next time I go to WV I'll try it again.

All of these have already been ordered from the lab. I'm at the point of no return for Western States, so what I've got here is what I'm sending.

Any title suggestions for Nude Dude, he's the only one without one.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Jill,
let us know how you do ok? The nude dude seems like a distant lover. So I keep thinking distant, the distance between us, something like that.
Jeff

J_Davidson
02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Jeff,

I certainly will.

Thank you for the title suggestion.

Jill

J_Davidson
02-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Ok Options on the table for Nude Dude are:

L'Homme
Demigod
Adonis
Mortal or Man

gailcarver
02-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Mortal or Man does not seem to work, as they mean pretty much the same thing.

J_Davidson
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I put it in wrong, teach me to post when I'm tired...

Mortal or God

Avery_Munger
02-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Heh... personally I like the title "Nude Dude". If only he had a cowboy hat on.

Anyway, I know it probably won't work for comp. :) My actual vote is for "L'Homme".

J_Davidson
02-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm leaning towards it, my fear is pronunciation, and the judges "getting" it.

Avery_Munger
02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
What about "Chiseled", since he's standing like a statue?

J_Davidson
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
ohh...that's an option.

Rick_Massarini
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm leaning towards it, my fear is pronunciation, and the judges "getting" it.

Yeah, ya gotta be concerned about how they will pronounce the title.
L'Homme could come out as "L - Homey" ... I can see the judges sitting there going ... "what?"

J_Davidson
02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. So no L'Homme.