PDA

View Full Version : CC, is it comp worthy?

gailcarver
02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
http://gailcarver.zenfolio.com/p662509776/e32ff810ehttp://gailcarver.zenfolio.com/p662509776/e32ff810e

And please be brutal. I have thick skin.

gailcarver
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
http://gailcarver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v23/p645813967-4.jpg

"Show Em Your Grill"

aseynaeve
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Gail - I'm trying to figure this whole comp thing out. I just wanted to say that I personally love this image! :D

If there is one thing that I could even think about doing differently, my untrained eye wants to go up and out of the frame - kind of like I think I need to see more space above them if that makes sense. I have no idea how a juror would view it. I'll bet the client LOVED it.

2ยข from the gallery...Andy

Shterion_Shterionov
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
You are no longer limited to 16x20 size

GregYager
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Gail, I'm fortunate to be spending the weekend with several jurors so I'll get a second opinion tonight. With that being said I think you may have a solid merit print here. You might want to re-think the may though. I'll tell you more after I speak with my friends tonight. I'll also make sure they won't be judging your district or IPC this year so they won't have to dq themselves.

Rick_Massarini
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Greg, It's not a problem if a juror has to dq - that's why there are 6 jurors on the panel, they do it all the time, and it's unlikely that they'll all be on the panel when it comes around. I don't think the invitations for the IPC this year have gone out yet - none of the jurors I've spoken with have received invitations yet...

gailcarver
02-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Greg, I will be excited to hear what they say! I am so overwhelmed with entering Districts for the first time, I need all the help I can get!

Michael_Mathias
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Hi Gail, I'm thinking you have a real solid image here. While I'm new here, this image is very nice in my opinion.

Mark_Levesque
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
That's an image that is crying out for a good title to put it over the top. Something to explain what we're seeing or otherwise provide a hint to the story. What are you planning on titling this?

gailcarver
02-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally it was titled "Show Em Your Grill" I am not sure every juror would get that is a way of saying smile. This is a rodeo horse and the young lady trained him to smile for the crowds at the rodeo (she was a rodeo queen) So I want to incorporate that the horse is smiling somehow. "Smile for the crowds' doesn't really make sense as they are in the middle of no where, "That Winning Smile" "Hamming It Up" . . . Any help would be great!

Stephanie_Millner
02-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Love this, and I think you have a sure merit print here, too. But the title didn't make sense to me. Like... WHY is there a bride and a horse in the water? I'd almost be tempted to do a pun. Perhaps "Bridal Bridle"

Stephanie_Millner
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
PS I'm on a bad monitor but the rocks at the top appear a little too bright. i might bring that down so they don't compete for attention.

Heather_L._Smith
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree on the title. Something that helps explain the bride, the smile, and what exactly she may be pointing at :)

Steff - I love Bridal Bridle, but what if it takes them too long to make the connection? At least now they get to see the title written on the scoring device, so that helps, but I'm always worried that a title is going to make them tilt their heads to the side and go "huh?" Haha.

There's an awesome title in there... we just gotta find it.

Oh, and I also agree on those rocks at the top right - bring those down just a smidge.

Cute capture!

Jeff_Dachowski
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Gail,
This looks like it was shot at Natural Bridge. I might be the disenting opnion here. Although there is a nice quality to the image, I am not sure looking into the gaping mouth of the horse does much for me. Especially with the bride pointing us out of the frame. I know there is a center of interest here...the bride and horse, but I feel like everything is telling me the action if over my right shoulder, and I wish I could look up to see what all the fuss it.
Jeff

Roger_Williams
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
http://gailcarver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v23/p645813967-4.jpg

"Show Em Your Grill"

Honey, How you get'n down?

Seems to me you need to be making fun of the groom somehow:D

MWatson
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Honey, How you get'n down?
Yeah, I like that title !!!

gailcarver
02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh! You guys are so helpful! I was not even thinking in terms of a bride because she is one of my seniors!

Stephanie_Millner
02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
LOL! Heather - give the judges a little more credit! ;)

Amy_Hall
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I usually refrain from posting in this section, just read and learn. But, it does look like the girl and the horse are laughing at something that is out of the frame. And she does look like a bride, not a senior. So if the title gave the viewer some sort of clue about what they were laughing at I think that would add to the picture (which is really fun and beautiful by the way).

gailcarver
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Here is a sister image "Confidant". This image was chosen as an honorable mention in the PPA magazine cover contest and appeared in PPA mag in November 2011. Would love to know your thoughts on which would be better to enter. http://gailcarver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p88005049-4.jpg In the original image and print there are details in the dress, hard to see on here.

Mark_Levesque
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I much prefer this one, assuming there's detail on the right hand side of the dress in the full size version.

gailcarver
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I really like this image, but the CC I have recieved (not from masters, nor any judges) was the horses ears were too relaxed and the girls hand would blow it. But it did earn an honorable mention from Helen Yancy, soooo. . . maybe this is the one I should enter. And Mark, I totally value your opinion as someone who greatly helped me earn my CPP!

Mark_Levesque
02-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you got CC from horse people. :)

Unless you get a totally kick-butt title (like a Holly classic) to finish the story of the first image, I would enter this one. I much prefer the composition and the story here needs no explanation to make sense.

Oh, and thank you. It is a pleasure helping other photographers get certified.

Rick_Massarini
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Definitely like the second image better than the first.

gailcarver
02-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, I certainly trust both of you! I don't have any space on the left side, is that going to hurt me. I just feel it is so crowded. What other suggestions do you have? Please be very critical.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Gail,
The image with the girl looking at the horse is stronger than both of them looking up.
Jeff

gailcarver
02-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks Jeff! Anything else to tweak it? Tomorrow I will post it on a matted and go from there. One chosen, three to go. :eek: