PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate Image Competition/Review

GregYager
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
This is a re-broadcast of our Summer competition. If you're considering entering competitions but have never sat through one then this is a must see. It was recorded live at the PhotoProNetwork Summer School(2011).

http://vimeo.com/26517792

rhondastarkart
02-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Watched this today .. found it very helpful .. thanks for posting!

Michael_Mathias
02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Greg, Totally cool! Really a great thing to see. Thanks for posting it!

GregYager
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
You're very welcome!

I watch print comps with the same intensity as I do football.

Michael_Mathias
02-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Hey Greg...congrats on Cool Kid!!

GregYager
02-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Hey Greg...congrats on Cool Kid!!

Thank you. I have it entered in Thursday's competition so I'm hoping these jurors like it too.

Michael_Mathias
02-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Guessing it will do well, and you're right....pretty intense watching...interesting on what works in one image, but not another. Very interesting to look at an image and then listen to the jurors opinions. While not always in agreement (human nature?), found myself understanding why images got the scores they did. I think this is an excellent learning tool.

GregYager
02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
found myself understanding why images got the scores they did. I think this is an excellent learning tool.

That's what it's all about.:cool:

Tss1203
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks Greg. I know you've posted these before, but this is the first time I've watched it. Very interesting to see!

joemama
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow... VERY helpful. TY

kristannev
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Started watching this last night. I learn so much from judging. Thanks for posting this Greg!

dpalme
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Gotta love it when you send Greg a private message and then get an error message that he hasn't cleaned out his mailbox LOL

dpalme
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Ok,
I have a border question for everyone....what is your standard width of your borders that you put around your images? Pixels or inches, especially for those of you that are putting big black borders with a very thin white border.

joemama
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Some of the images kinda baffled me as to why they scored so high... like the image "Baby Cakes"... it got a 75 and it was a squish cropped snapshot. Some of these images got some lucky scoring...

Tss1203
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I agree Joe. Maybe they were overlooking the fact that the maker didn't keep proportions when resizing? Although in my opinion it should have mattered.

There were a lot of lower scoring prints though.

Greg and Cindy really owned that competition though! I recognized a lot of their images :)

GregYager
02-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Gotta love it when you send Greg a private message and then get an error message that he hasn't cleaned out his mailbox LOL

I was on the road to Cincinnati today so I didn't delete this morning. I get a LOT of PMs.

GregYager
02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
I too agree that the scores were a bit forgiving on the lower end. I've noticed that affiliates tend to be more lenient than District or IPC.

Rick_Massarini
02-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Very few judges are going to argue a 75 to lower the score. If it scores 75, it's not going to be in the running for an award, so most judges will not challenge it down - If they are at a 72 or 73 and it scores 75 they'll just let it go...

dpalme
02-03-2012, 07:26 AM
You're very welcome!

I watch print comps with the same intensity as I do football.

So what your saying Greg is that you don't watch much football eh? :)))) Jk

Pack in 13

dpalme
02-03-2012, 07:28 AM
What is the advantage of entering affiliate competitions other than experience, Im not saying that not important just curious is all.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Folks...dont forget that what you are watching is a Lightroom presentation and the audio from the judging. I believe there were actual prints there right? If so, what yo are seeing as a viewer could be very different than what the judges are seeing under the lights. Or...maybe this way an all digital comp, and I am wrong!
Jeff

GregYager
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
You are correct Jeff. This was a physical print comp and what you were seeing was the digital versions that were submitted at the same time. The feed was live and the digital was posted at the same time as the actual print. I saw one print that was slightly different from it's digital file which was a maternity silhouette with the father. The print had a burst of light between them and the digital did not. There was also an image of twin infants that you saw correctly as a vertical and it was judged horizontal. With the exception of those two everything was in sync.

Douglas,

The advantage is experience, trial run for District, good opportunity for a press release and of course fun.

I'll catch up on posts and PMs when I get a break.